Boaters that go missing

PeoplesElbow

The recent case of Ernie Sigmon got me thinking, do any of the boaters that fall off their boat and go missing wear a life vest?

The picture of Ernie Sigmon shows him without a vest on. Guessing it's not a requirement? Not blaming anyone, just curious.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Wearing a life vest is only mandatory if you are under a certain age. I forget the exact age.
Having been out on the water quite a bit on my own boat and others boats, I will say that life vests are typically not worn. Most folks figure they can swim, so why wear a vest?
I cannot swim so I usually have one handy or on. If I am fishing or up walking around on the boat, I will put it on for sure.
I would think that any boater that goes out alone really should have one on. If there is a medical emergency and you go overboard with nobody to help you back onboard, well……

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
If I was going to be out alone on my boat on the river or bay, I'm wearing one of these.

When I was out fishing in my canoe I always had a pfd on.

kom526

Not sure why you (mostly) see people kayaking or canoeing wearing some sort of pfd but not so much with a larger boat. I guess that's an acceptable double standard.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not sure why you (mostly) see people kayaking or canoeing wearing some sort of pfd but not so much with a larger boat. I guess that's an acceptable double standard.
Some states require life jackets be worn at all times for boats 16' and under as well as kayaks, canoes and personal watercraft. MD only requires 100% wearing on personal watercraft...goes by age on the rest.

PeoplesElbow

A lot more people wear all the time with one of those...a game changing design.
Looks like it uses a cylinder for inflation? Does it autoinflate?

I have to wear a float coat on an aircraft carrier, which is a hell of a lot bigger than anyone's personal boat.

Seriously if someone falls over it happened for a reason, that reason could very well make them not able to swim.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I don't generally wear one when I'm boating. I also don't boat unless waves are 1 foot or less. I'm definitely going to look into a vest like kom posted. Not getting any more stable my feet.

kom526

I have to wear a float coat on an aircraft carrier, which is a hell of a lot bigger than anyone's personal boat.

Seriously if someone falls over it happened for a reason, that reason could very well make them not able to swim.
Some use a CO2 cylinder for inflation and higher priced options are auto inflate upon immersion. The one I posted is a manual/auto inflate and is $111 at Amazon.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

We are typically required to wear one of the autoinflatable type when on some USN vessels...and always when transferring to/from another vessel or transiting in a RIB. On the commercial vessels we work with, we are usually only required to wear a vest when on outside deck area.

Personally, and locally boating, I seldom ever wear a PFD when I'm out on my 32' cruiser. I wear one occasionally when out on one of my smaller open boats depending on the weather conditions. I've been planning to buy one like Kom posted so it's comfortable to wear one more of the time...since I'm getting older.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It comes down to a false sense of security, more so when on a larger boat with greater free board. And that (men) can handle anything. That is unless of course you fall into the water which is at present around 47°F. Then things change really quick. Especially if the boat is not anchored. Everyone, when on a vessel of any size, when by themselves, should always wear one of those non-bulky inflatable PFD's. It's smart, manly, and will save your ass. I always do. Pride be damned.

Is this something that really needs to be legislated? My favorite memory from visiting the Grand Canyon was stopping while trekking along the rim to listen to a trail ranger tell stories of the canyon. Midway there was a gasp from others in the group and we all looked over towards what they were looking at. Three young men had jumped down to a ledge for whatever reason. They guide turned back and told us, "This is America. We cannot stop you from foolish decisions that could kill you. We will call in a body recovery for you though." He then resumed his story.

Loved it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm thinking that if someone fell off their boat in the Chesapeake Bay in late December, a pfd wouldn't help them because they'd die of hypothermia pretty quickly. Feel free to educate me if I'm talking out my ass.

That said, I think the law here is that you must have a pfd on board, you don't necessarily have to be wearing it. I don't keep up on that stuff, but Monello does and he always asks me if I have my life vest on board before I paddle off.

Hopefully they'll find this man soon.

kom526

I'm thinking that if someone fell off their boat in the Chesapeake Bay in late December, a pfd wouldn't help them because they'd die of hypothermia pretty quickly. Feel free to educate me if I'm talking out my ass.

That said, I think the law here is that you must have a pfd on board, you don't necessarily have to be wearing it. I don't keep up on that stuff, but Monello does and he always asks me if I have my life vest on board before I paddle off.

Grumpy

Only boating I've done in the last 50 years was a couple times last summer on a friend's Zodiac rubber boat and that was just up and down the shore near Breezy Point, never more than 100 yds off the shore and can't remember if we had vests onboard. When I was on the water alot back in the day, you just had to have vests onboard for the amount of people on the boat. Any kids were always vested up, adults not so much.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm thinking that if someone fell off their boat in the Chesapeake Bay in late December, a pfd wouldn't help them because they'd die of hypothermia pretty quickly.

Exactly.

The safety shut-off lanyard law would not matter in this case either...since you are not required to have that clipped to you if just trolling along at hull speed or below.

PeoplesElbow

It would make the body easier to find. And it gives you some time, you stop being able to swim before dying of hypothermia. It may be minutes, but enough time if you're not alone for someone to pull you to safety.