Bombproof = Age/Experience or Disposition?

Wait4It..boom

Here’s a chance to give an opinion (on something else)...

For those that have a bombproof horse or have owned one, do you think it’s disposition or age/experience that REALLY gives the end result?

I have been looking for a family-friendly horse that will build confidence and that my young kids can sit on/ride for awhile. A push button horse is exactly what I want. I like drafts (mostly for their notable calm nature). For anyone that was at the Jefferson Patterson Park’s Day on the Farm, there was a girl riding a horse around the farm (mostly bareback). THAT is the kind of horse I need/want!! He wasn’t phased in the least by any of the commotion going on. I have lots of responsibilities and can’t afford to get hurt on a horse even though I enjoy riding.

I’m wondering if I should focus my horse search to only look for an older horse that’s been-there/done-that or also look at yearlings (and slightly older) based on their disposition and temperament.

devinej

i agree with cowgirl, there is no true bombproof horse, but there are horses whose temperments are so good that they seem that way a lot of the time. I think it has to do with how they've been treated, what they've been taught, how they cope with life. it usually gets better with age.

devinej

if you want one sooner for your kids, don't look at the weanlings....unless you are really good at training them to be how you want

Wait4It..boom

Well that's what I am wondering. I have been around young horses and although I'm not a trainer, some are definitely more laid back than others. I am wondering if the young ones that are laid back are the ones 'in the making' for better coping skills later.

devinej

well the problem with the laid back young ones is that they can become not so laid back really quick with some not so great handling.

i'd go for a large pony size about 15 years old, been there done that type

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Here’s a chance to give an opinion (on something else)...

For those that have a bombproof horse or have owned one, do you think it’s disposition or age/experience that REALLY gives the end result?

I have been looking for a family-friendly horse that will build confidence and that my young kids can sit on/ride for awhile. A push button horse is exactly what I want. I like drafts (mostly for their notable calm nature). For anyone that was at the Jefferson Patterson Park’s Day on the Farm, there was a girl riding a horse around the farm (mostly bareback). THAT is the kind of horse I need/want!! He wasn’t phased in the least by any of the commotion going on. I have lots of responsibilities and can’t afford to get hurt on a horse even though I enjoy riding.

I’m wondering if I should focus my horse search to only look for an older horse that’s been-there/done-that or also look at yearlings (and slightly older) based on their disposition and temperament.

Were you able to talk to them to find out what type of horse they had and where they may have purchased the horse.

I think much of this would depend on your childrens and your level of riding and horse knowledge. Also depends on what you are planning on doing with the horse such as Pleasure Riding, Trail Riding, Eventing, Dressage, Horse Show, etc. Bombproof, packer, and push button are just that words. If you aren't sure taking someone with experience is always a good idea. There are plenty of people willing to tell you what you want to hear to sell you a horse. Not trying to bring up the negative, but I've seen it happen way to often.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I totally agree, no such thing as a bombproof horse. I would stay away from anything young... Think 10+ for safety. You can't just depend on breed either.

mingiz

Horse Poor
:cds: Don't ruin my utopia where bombproof horses exist! :jameo:

So your looking for something like this....:howdy: This mare was what many would call bomb proof. She was a great trail horse and alot of beginner riders loved her. She would take care of her rider and was an excellent baby sitter for the G-kids.. I sold her back to the lady I bought her from...I miss her. There are good ones out there but take a knowledgeable person that can help you and maybe will notice things that you may not think about. Devine or even BZ would be good candidates for that. Good luck in your search..

100_2036.jpg

fuzzerd

Go to horsetopia.com, equinenow.com, horsefinders.com, horseclicks.com, equine.com, horseville.com, and dreamhorse.com. They all have great horses under maryland. How old are your kids? If there under 7 a mini is a good idea.
They are also alot cheaper. Maybe one of the bigger shetlands?

mingiz

Horse Poor
Go to horsetopia.com, equinenow.com, horsefinders.com, horseclicks.com, equine.com, horseville.com, and dreamhorse.com. They all have great horses under maryland. How old are your kids? If there under 7 a mini is a good idea.
They are also alot cheaper. Maybe one of the bigger shetlands?

Good Sites agdirect and horsetopia.com are good sites. Also don't forget rescues. Some rescue's make the best horses and all rescue's aren't doomed. I have a rescue and he is my best horse and a beginner is riding him now. His manners are so much better for her. Even a few peeps that know him asked what was wrong with him. That he is a different horse with her riding him. :killingme

fredsaid2

If it's for young children I'd go with a large pony. Maybe an old schoolie? I wouldn't put them on a horse and def not a draft. You also have to factor in what your future plans may be for the pony. Shopping the internet is good to see what's out there. Then take an experienced person with you to try them.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I agree with Fredsaid "take an experienced person with you to go horse shopping." Someone you trust won't rip you off. You will probably need to pay that person for their time, but it will be well worth it to have a good horse. There are so many factors that play into it all. I would contact BZ or devine to help you look. They will ask the right questions and they know what qualities make a good horse! I am sure their are other great people on here too, but those are two I would trust and recommend.:buddies: