Bombproof = Age/Experience or Disposition?

fredsaid2

I agree with Fredsaid "take an experienced person with you to go horse shopping." Someone you trust won't rip you off. You will probably need to pay that person for their time, but it will be well worth it to have a good horse. There are so many factors that play into it all. I would contact BZ or devine to help you look. They will ask the right questions and they know what qualities make a good horse! I am sure their are other great people on here too, but those are two I would trust and recommend.:buddies:

Good recommendations Sadie, and well worth the price for their time and expertise.

Wait4It..boom

I have a really good friend that's experienced and she has gone with me to see a few of the ones I've looked at. So far, haven't found that one that fits the bill of what I'm looking for (maybe it doesn't exist?). The ones that I've looked at that are called "bomb proof" have so far been in a lesson program. They are definitely quiet but are sour and don't want to work. The horse would be primarily for my husband and me. If I could sit my kids on top- that would be a bonus. I don't think I've found my niche either because I like a little bit of it all: english, dressage, trail... I would be interested in the longer overnight camping trips as well, but just don't have a horse that could do those things right now.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
If you're looking for yourself and your husband then a draft or draft x might be the right way to go. But, not all drafts are quiet and docile. There are two main types of draft horses in almost all draft breeds - work and hitch. The work horses tend to be shorter, thicker, and quieter. The hitch horses tend to be taller, lighter, and more energetic. Now, this isn't always the case, but it's important to think about when you're looking at drafts.

American Cream Drafts are a slightly different kind of draft horse. They tend to be quiet, sweet, smart, and willing. They're a bit shorter than the common draft breeds around here as they generally range from 15.2 - 16.2 hands. I have a ACD mare that is right around 17h, very tall for a ACD mare. I've seen some stallions and geldings and they've all been smaller and a bit lighter (weight) than her. There's a person whose name I can't remember that has a couple at Oak Crest Farm. They are shown at SMHA (english schooling hunter show) and do very well.

Percherons and shires are generally more able to perform well as riding horses. But, again because there is such a difference in type among the breeds it's so hard to qualify all horses of a particular breed. Shires are harder to find but they're very nice movers and rather intelligent. But, they also have fairly heavy feathers which means you should clip them or keep them clean to prevent skin problems. Percherons are super fun. I have a full percheron stallion and I've ridden many other percherons or percheron crosses. My guy has done eventing and fox hunting. We show (and place!!) in the hunter over fences classes at SMHA. We also place well at licensed dressage shows. And, he's fun on trail rides. Percheron x TB are a popular foxhunting mount.

I don't have much experience at all with Belgian's but the one's I've met have been massive! One gelding that I knew was quite stubborn, but when you got him working he was also very smart. Belgians tend to be tall and wide, but again you'll find plenty that don't fit that mold.

Clydesdales also have feathers (like shires) and you'll have to keep them clipped or clean. Clydes are a very popular cross with thoroughbreds too and tend to be pretty flashy (blaze and socks are common). Clydes are also being crossed with hackneys for a flashy, forward carriage type mount.

Quarter Horses are tons of fun too, but if you were looking to do hunters/dressage/trail I'd stay away from the AQHA people. Now, I bought my QH mare from an AQHA show home, but luckily she was EXTREMELY green and there was very little of the WP (western pleasure) and HUS (hunter under saddle) training from the QH, thank goodness. AppendixQH here on the forum breeds WONDERFUL appendix qhs and could probably point you in the right direction.

horsesrock93

Chevy Is Da BOMB!!!!
ya there is no such thing as a dead broke horse.... Even my 16 year old horse still spooks bucks and acts retarded...

Wait4It..boom

I'm open to QHs, and have ridden several (and several friends have them), but just haven't ridden one that I thought suited me. I had seen on one of the rescue sites there was a percheron/belgian cross. he's a baby though (5months old) so I'm not sure he'd be the right one if most everyone is saying 'look for older.' i really do like the drafts though. I don't have a body type that requires a draft or very large horse, but I sure think they are cute. I rode a draft years ago at a lesson facility that i really liked. he was a great 'steady eddy'

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Quarter Horses are tons of fun too, but if you were looking to do hunters/dressage/trail I'd stay away from the AQHA people. Now, I bought my QH mare from an AQHA show home, but luckily she was EXTREMELY green and there was very little of the WP (western pleasure) and HUS (hunter under saddle) training from the QH, thank goodness. AppendixQH here on the forum breeds WONDERFUL appendix qhs and could probably point you in the right direction.

Awww, Thanks Phyx!

To weigh in on the initial post, the answer is all three. As a breeder I breed for the disposition needed to eventually become a very quiet and user friendly horse, my guage is that since I am a cautious rider, I want to feel confident riding the youngster I am breeding. Then come experience and age. A great and quiet dispositioned horse then needs alot of exposure and a lot of miles, if brought up correctly...by 7 to 10 years of age you have a VERY good and SAFE product. I just sold a super quiet and sweet 5 yr old mare I bred, the buyer plans to put 4 to 6 intensive months of WP training on her and take her to the show ring with their kids. Key here is that they are doing this with a 5 yr old horse...and a TRAINER. No trainer, then it is usually not a good idea to go to young.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
ya there is no such thing as a dead broke horse.... Even my 16 year old horse still spooks bucks and acts retarded...

That is where the other two factors come in - Disposition and experience. Age alone doesn't make them "bombproof". I also have a 16yr old gelding, broke to death, but smart enough to try and get away with acting spooky from time to time just to avoid work.

mingiz

Horse Poor
That is where the other two factors come in - Disposition and experience. Age alone doesn't make them "bombproof". I also have a 16yr old gelding, broke to death, but smart enough to try and get away with acting spooky from time to time just to avoid work.

Awww that wouldn't be RJ would it:huggy::killingme

fuzzerd

Good Sites agdirect and horsetopia.com are good sites. Also don't forget rescues. Some rescue's make the best horses and all rescue's aren't doomed. I have a rescue and he is my best horse and a beginner is riding him now. His manners are so much better for her. Even a few peeps that know him asked what was wrong with him. That he is a different horse with her riding him. :killingme
Try Freedom hill horse rescue.Home

Martinigirl

Gentlegiantsdrafthorseresuce.com the women there...Christy I think....evaluates you and won't let a horse go unless she feels it's a good match. That is...if you are looking for a draft. She's upfront.

ElliesMom

I ride a resued QH/Belgian I would swear by her...but nothing is bombproof.

Rescued horses and animals are great because they are evaluated by mostly experienced people who care about placing in a family and not selling so much.

Take your time and get the right animal the first time, and visit at least 3 times. Look everywhere!

Remember this is taking on the responsibility of an animals life, and good luck!

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Awww that wouldn't be RJ would it:huggy::killingme

Um....yes it is! :starcat: Packs kids around safe as can be and very slowly in the arena. Solid trail horse, but get someone on him on the trail that doesn't know what they are doing and he will pretend he is scared! Smart guy!

mingiz

Horse Poor
Um....yes it is! :starcat: Packs kids around safe as can be and very slowly in the arena. Solid trail horse, but get someone on him on the trail that doesn't know what they are doing and he will pretend he is scared! Smart guy!

Yepper Shishi was that way also...:yay:Sometimes she would even wake me up....

Tazgirl

Gentlegiantsdrafthorseresuce.com the women there...Christy I think....evaluates you and won't let a horse go unless she feels it's a good match. That is...if you are looking for a draft. She's upfront.

Great place, I got a draft from them and was impressed with Christy. The draft did not get along with my mare and we had to take her back. They were great and really worked with us. I continued to donate to them for almost two years and would still be donating today had things not gotten tight at home.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Duckz didn't you get Lincoln, your Draft Cross, up in Jarrettsville, MD? I know they advertise on Dreamhorse.

poster

I have a really good friend that's experienced and she has gone with me to see a few of the ones I've looked at. So far, haven't found that one that fits the bill of what I'm looking for (maybe it doesn't exist?). The ones that I've looked at that are called "bomb proof" have so far been in a lesson program. They are definitely quiet but are sour and don't want to work. The horse would be primarily for my husband and me. If I could sit my kids on top- that would be a bonus. I don't think I've found my niche either because I like a little bit of it all: english, dressage, trail... I would be interested in the longer overnight camping trips as well, but just don't have a horse that could do those things right now.

If boarding is not an issue perhaps look into a suitable ride for you and a large mini as a companion for you kids.

I bought my daughter (when she was 5) a large mini (he was 5 and had no prior riding experience) and he was wonderful. She could crawl all over him and he loved it - mini's don't tend to have a pony attitude. We used him to teach her how to take care of and be safe around a horse. She loved the brushing and such but as it turned out she had no interest in riding.

In all the years of having horses, he was the best horse I've ever known.
He took care of my baby!! He's now taking care of someone else's baby who does love to ride and he's just as wonderful with her!