Bounty-ized

fisherpw

While at Giant today, decided to pick up some paper towels. When does a 4 pack of Bounty now cost over $20? I see why the shelves are stocked, who'd throw that kindof money for paper towels?

Escalade14

Go Rams!
Paper towel prices had been going up for a couple months prior to all this happening, people hoarding made it worse.
I imagine a similar thing happening with toilet paper and disinfecting supplies whenever they get a decent stock of them. I had a possible theory (for the price gouging on paper towels anyway) that it was to keep people from buying them up so much and so often, so they jack the price up to keep their supply available, but that theory wouldn't make much sense when you think about it. Reason why is because why would they do that for paper towels, of all things? If anything, it would be for the supplies in high demand, including toilet paper.

Besides, if you need to have paper towels that badly, I'm sure the generic store brands would be just as good, for much less (if they have them in stock anyway unless shelf vultures* buy them all up).

*Shelf vultures = people who buy as much as they can of certain items, even with purchase limits in place

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
A 4 pack of Bounty paper towels should cost around $10. At least that's what it cost when I bought a pack the other day.
That 4 pack was probably misplaced on the shelf. People seem to be feeling up everything they buy at the store now. I watched a guy a few weeks ago (probably around my age) squeeze every goddamned package of Club/Kaiser/Sub rolls at the Deli (Dunkirk Giant) before he decided he didn't want any of them.

They also have a sign at the sweet corn counter to not husk the corn to check for freshness and then put the ear back. People are morons.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Paper towels are important to me and something I'll spend money on because I used them for so many things. Toilet paper - meh, it's a unitasker, who cares, the cheap stuff does the job. But paper towels.....nope, only Viva cloth-like select a size will do.
I'm with you. Even the selected size is too large for some jobs. I'll tear a strip about an inch wide for wiping the butter from a knife before washing it. This means less fat in the drain pipes to congeal and cause problems.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Paper towels are important to me and something I'll spend money on because I used them for so many things. Toilet paper - meh, it's a unitasker, who cares, the cheap stuff does the job. But paper towels.....nope, only Viva cloth-like select a size will do.
Just a thought here. What of a regular wash cloth, wash cloths? Kitchen towels? Use, wash, rinse, in the sink, let dry, use again? Think of the money saved? It's what I do. Is everyone so lazy that paper towels are the 'have to have product'? Asking for a friend.

Jurgo

If I may ...

Just a thought here. What of a regular wash cloth, wash cloths? Kitchen towels? Use, wash, rinse, in the sink, let dry, use again? Think of the money saved? It's what I do. Is everyone so lazy that paper towels are the 'have to have product'? Asking for a friend.

Fascinating questions and ideas, and creative use of commas. Bravo.

Louise

If I may ...

:lol: That is what I do, too. Paper is overrated and a waste of trees. Wash, rinse, repeat is my motto. I do run the used ones through the laundry. There was no paper anything back in the ole days. Just think how it was to change a cloth diaper. What a bunch of babies. Pun intended.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

On the rare occasion I run out of coffee filters, a good paper towel will do the trick. They also make superior tissues for blowing one's nose without having the damn thing disintegrate. They are excellent sweat mops, so I usually have a couple in my purse when it's hot out and in my dry bag when I'm kayaking. Cooking bacon in the microwave. Removing makeup. Removing nail polish. Soak a few in cleaning liquid and store them in baggies for when I need portable cleanup wipes.

I'm a big fan of Viva paper towels.

1stGenSMIB

:lol: That is what I do, too. Paper is overrated and a waste of trees. Wash, rinse, repeat is my motto. I do run the used ones through the laundry. There was no paper anything back in the ole days. Just think how it was to change a cloth diaper. What a bunch of babies. Pun intended.
My daughter was born in the 90's. We did cloth diapers and hung them on a clothes line after washing..in 1992! Now, don't get me wrong, disposable diapers are a godsend when on the road..I just wish all the azzholes with babies would at least throw them in the garbage instead along the side of the road...or right in the parking lot...no wonder you can't go out in public without getting sick..

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

On the rare occasion I run out of coffee filters, a good paper towel will do the trick. They also make superior tissues for blowing one's nose without having the damn thing disintegrate. They are excellent sweat mops, so I usually have a couple in my purse when it's hot out and in my dry bag when I'm kayaking. Cooking bacon in the microwave. Removing makeup. Removing nail polish. Soak a few in cleaning liquid and store them in baggies for when I need portable cleanup wipes.

I'm a big fan of Viva paper towels.
On this we are 100% in agreement. :yay:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
On the rare occasion I run out of coffee filters, a good paper towel will do the trick.
I use plain white Bounty for filtering wine when I siphon it into the bottling container.
Learned that trick from my brewing and wine making mentor about 35 years ago.