Bowhunters..

Fishn Guy

That's Dr. Fishn to you..
Here's a serious Fishn post with an actual opinion... how bout that?
Anywho,
I have this thing against Bass pro and all these retailers about how much a bowhunting rig costs. I saw a guy pay over 3 grand in one day to go on a guided hunt. I think its rediculous that these retailers get on these shows and tell everyone they absolutely have to have this crap or they are not a real hunter.
What's your rig and how much did it cost you?
Mine:
Old PSE Fireflite bow at 67#...... 200.00
Easton ST Epic arrows..... 67.00
G5 Montec broadheads at 125g..... 65.00
Whisker Biscuit rest..... 30.00
Old camo..... 30.00
Truck.... 1500.00
Carcass tags and permit.... 60.00

Grand total... 1952.00

onebdzee

off the shelf
Anywho,
I have this thing against Bass pro and all these retailers about how much a bowhunting rig costs. I saw a guy pay over 3 grand in one day to go on a guided hunt. I think its rediculous that these retailers get on these shows and tell everyone they absolutely have to have this crap or they are not a real hunter.
Mine:
Old camo..... 30.00
Truck.... 1500.00

Grand total... 1952.00

Taking picture of that 8 point buck in the back of that $1500.00 pick-up: priceless

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Anywho,
Mine:
Old camo..... 30.00
Truck.... 1500.00

Grand total... 1952.00

Your hunting is very expensive :shrug:

HunterJJD

Anywho,
Mine:
Old camo..... 30.00
Truck.... 1500.00

Grand total... 1952.00

I have 1200 in my Hoyt I bought 4 years ago. I have only done self guided bow hunts for elk all other been bear and deer with the bow
what is 1200$ for a bow when you spent 700$ for a tag

I know what you are saying. Stupid TV shows have jacked the prices up so high on Encores set in the Pro Hunter I will not buy any more

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
So, to get off topic a minute...

I'm interested in 2 different bows next year

Matthews Drenalin and the BowTech Gaurdian......

Anyone have any opinions :snacks:

As for my current bow

Browning Mirage cost: :)shrug:, it was a Christmas present a good amount of years go)

Bisquit - $35
New String - (Can't remember what Kim charged me)
Kisser button - free (Thanks Kim)
Stabilizer - $20
Release - $52
Wrist Strap - $8
New Fletching on 8 arrows - $24

That's basically my set up right now...

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I don't know what kind of bow I have:lmao: I have not seen it in 6 years. I did put a fiber optic sliding scope sight on it. Ahhh the good 'ol days.

HunterJJD

sorry, not a Matthews or BowTech fan. No real reason other then everyone just jumps on the band wagon and goes with who spends the most to get them on TV. If you want to pay so much for a bow to cover them giving them to everyone on TV go ahead

Also not a fan of new companys

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Doesn't the Mathews Drenalin bow have an fps of around mach 1 or something? "Lose your arrows at the speed of sound.":lmao:

$849.00 MSRP for the Drenalin
$899.00 MSRP for the Drenalin LD

That thing better put my stand up, and drop, drag and dress it for that price.:faint:

Last edited:

Dukesdad

I think its rediculous that these retailers get on these shows and tell everyone they absolutely have to have this crap or they are not a real hunter.

Slightly off topic but along the same lines. Watch Bill Dance and the rest of the fishing pros and see how they change a lure or line to get you to buy their product.
Several years ago, my daughter caught the biggest bass I have seen to date on a yogi bear rod, a bobber as big as a tennis ball and a plain hook with a skinny azzed red worm she scratched out of the dirt by the pond.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
sorry, not a Matthews or BowTech fan. No real reason other then everyone just jumps on the band wagon and goes with who spends the most to get them on TV. If you want to pay so much for a bow to cover them giving them to everyone on TV go ahead

Also not a fan of new companys

I'm most def. not a fan of the prices, that's for sure, but I have shot 2 different Matthews, and I will say I liked the ease feel of them, and they were nice and quiet and everything else...

I'm just ready for a new bow, and those are the 2 that caught my eye, I am always open for opinions on something like this, and glad someone came up with this thread to see what everyone else is shooting, and all that...

The only thing I'd like to see added to this thread is the pros/cons of each persons bow...

Downside to my Browning, my left off is like 35% which is low, but managable, and I'm drawing back 60lb and only shooting 214fps... I'd like to be in the 275-290 range...

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Doesn't the Mathews Drenalin bow have an fps of around mach 1 or something? "Lose your arrows at the speed of sound.":lmao:

$849.00 MSRP for the Drenalin
$899.00 MSRP for the Drenalin LD

That thing better put my stand up, and drop, drag and dress it for that price.:faint:

The Drenalin is like 318-320 or some crazy shiat like that... The Gaurdian is somewhere around like 325 or something :lol:

But, both are priced through the roof, thats for sure :ohwell:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

As for my current bow

Browning Mirage cost: :)shrug:, it was a Christmas present a good amount of years go)

Bisquit - $35
New String - (Can't remember what Kim charged me)
Kisser button - free (Thanks Kim)
Stabilizer - $20
Release - $52
Wrist Strap - $8
New Fletching on 8 arrows - $24

That's basically my set up right now...

You can come down and shoot my Matthews if you want to see if you like their build..

It's an older Matthews Conquest Pro.. but it's FAST and extremely quiet.. 325 fps if I remember correctly

And being fast you only need a single pin to shoot from 10 - 35 or so yards..

It's got a nice set up. Trigger release.. 32 inch draw with an overdraw that allows shooting 28" arrows.. Adjustable 60 - 80 pound draw with an 85% let off at full draw.. did I mention ACCURATE!??

I'd like to get a nicer sight, but I don't shoot it often enough to warrant the expense.

The biggest thing I noticed when I switched up from my old PSE.. After shooting 20, 30 or 40 arrows my 'holding' arm/ shoulder would ache from the pounding it was getting from the violence of the string slapping forward.. I used every compensator known to man to lessen it, but nothing really helped. I don't notice it at all with the Matthews.

Last edited:

JustynSayneBand

Anywho,
Mine:
Old camo..... 30.00
Truck.... 1500.00

Grand total... 1952.00

I have a PSE Nova Bow with some XX75 Game Getter 2117's with Muzzy 100 broads, drops deer just fine, about $150 new, had it for years. My dad has some old raggedy Darton compound that has about 25 years use on it and some awesome 40.7869 pounds of pull and some game getter 2016 arrows with 3 blade WASPs, the man's killed more deer with this rig then anyone I know who hunts with a bow.

Remember the Indian folks, they used a thing called a stick and horse hair...

still... they were killing deer and buffalo, I think they wittled theirs from trees and made some points from stones, believe that, and still they too put a hurting on wildlife populations.

anyone who says, "You have to have good equipment to..." just ain't got nothing else to do, or just has a fetish with making everyone believe his last name is Jones too! LOL

Do you need a $1000.00 TC to shoot deer, when the $100.00 CVA will kill too?

Point of conversation:
Buy what you like and can afford, then go put meat on the table same as the next guy, heck for what he paid for his, you can have 2-3 bows/guns! (excellent "selling point" for the wife too!)

beerlover

I use a cheap old Bear Whitetail II. It works just fine. It was $179 at WalMart quite a while ago and as a bonus, when I brought it to the register it rang up as $79 and they sold it to me at that price. I put a pendulum sight on it and it works just great.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
You can come down and shoot my Matthews if you want to see if you like their build..

It's an older Matthews Conquest Pro.. but it's FAST and extremely quiet.. 325 fps if I remember correctly

And being fast you only need a single pin to shoot from 10 - 35 or so yards..

It's got a nice set up. Trigger release.. 32 inch draw with an overdraw that allows shooting 28" arrows.. Adjustable 60 - 80 pound draw with an 85% let off at full draw.. did I mention ACCURATE!??

I'd like to get a nicer sight, but I don't shoot it often enough to warrant the expense.

The biggest thing I noticed when I switched up from my old PSE.. After shooting 20, 30 or 40 arrows my 'holding' arm/ shoulder would ache from the pounding it was getting from the violence of the string slapping forward.. I used every compensator known to man to lessen it, but nothing really helped. I don't notice it at all with the Matthews.

I may have to take you up on that offer, as said before, I really liked the feel of the 2 other Matthews I've shot, and I've lately done some reading on the site I want on my new bow when I get one..Other than that, Kim told me she can just tranfer over everything else from my current bow onto my newone, so I won't have to waste the extra money getting it on the bow when I buy it...

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I use a cheap old Bear Whitetail II. It works just fine. It was $179 at WalMart quite a while ago and as a bonus, when I brought it to the register it rang up as $79 and they sold it to me at that price. I put a pendulum sight on it and it works just great.

I've been reading up on those, and a guy I work with has one on his bow...he swears by it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I may have to take you up on that offer, as said before, I really liked the feel of the 2 other Matthews I've shot, and I've lately done some reading on the site I want on my new bow when I get one..Other than that, Kim told me she can just tranfer over everything else from my current bow onto my newone, so I won't have to waste the extra money getting it on the bow when I buy it...

Matthews makes some VERY nice bows, but depending on the type of Bow you use now, you may have to change your style of shooting.

When you get into the faster speed bows they seem to be a lot less forgiving of bad habits.
WHen I first bought my bow I couldn't get it to paper tune at ALL. no matter what I did I couldn't get a clean hole through the paper, and ever correction I made tended to make it worse.

Finally a shop owner asked me to bring in my bow, and we'd paper tune it. He shot ONE arrow and wallah! a perfect tuned arrow/ fletch hole in the paper.. with no adjustments to my bow! He asked me to shoot so he could look at my stance, grip etc.. and sure enough he changed my grip.. perfect hole.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Matthews makes some VERY nice bows, but depending on the type of Bow you use now, you may have to change your style of shooting.

When you get into the faster speed bows they seem to be a lot less forgiving of bad habits.
WHen I first bought my bow I couldn't get it to paper tune at ALL. no matter what I did I couldn't get a clean hole through the paper, and ever correction I made tended to make it worse.

Finally a shop owner asked me to bring in my bow, and we'd paper tune it. He shot ONE arrow and wallah! a perfect tuned arrow/ fletch hole in the paper.. with no adjustments to my bow! He asked me to shoot so he could look at my stance, grip etc.. and sure enough he changed my grip.. perfect hole.

:lmao: I used to hold onto my bow like it was a million dollar check :lmao: needless to say, Kim and a few friends changed all that this year, helped out tremendously :yay: