Boyscout again???

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
dems4me said:
Its starting to sound like a dangerous thing to be
Yeah, they oughta just disband the whole organization. :rolleyes:

Or they could add a page to the Scout handbook that explicitly warns to not set up a tarp/tent in the middle of a field during a storm. (Or under power lines, for that matter.)

Maybe the blame should be put in its due place: on the shoulders of the Scout leaders. They clearly should not have been out there at all, since they were not properly educated about the environmental risks. If it had not been lightning it may have been a bear or a child drowning.

I believe the BSA is a sound organization -- their CPR training saved one Scout -- but they may be guilty of letting too many idiots guide their troops.

D

dems4me

hvp05 said:

Or they could add a page to the Scout handbook that explicitly warns to not set up a tarp/tent in the middle of a field during a storm. (Or under power lines, for that matter.)

Maybe the blame should be put in its due place: on the shoulders of the Scout leaders. They clearly should not have been out there at all, since they were not properly educated about the environmental risks. If it had not been lightning it may have been a bear or a child drowning.

I believe the BSA is a sound organization -- their CPR training saved one Scout -- but they may be guilty of letting too many idiots guide their troops.

I know, especially because I thought the great outdoors was supposed to be their forte' :shrug:

tomchamp

hvp05 said:

Why disband it?

hvp05

BuddyLee said:
Damn people and their broken sarcasm detectors.
I guess the actual message isn't always enough to get someone's point. :ohwell: In the real world do people ask, "Can you draw a smilie to go with that?"

D

dems4me

hvp05 said:
I guess the actual message isn't always enough to get someone's point. :ohwell: In the real world do people ask, "Can you draw a smilie to go with that?"

I just act them out in real life with over dramatic gestures :drama:

:lol:

hvp05

dems4me said:
I just act them out in real life with over dramatic gestures
Do you also put on a large round, yellow costume and flail your stick arms as necessary?

D

dems4me

hvp05 said:
Do you also put on a large round, yellow costume and flail your stick arms as necessary?

:lol: only a finger here and there in traffic :lol:

hvp05

Bogart said:
I heard it was teh gays.
:confused: Watch out everybody; it's another drive-by bashing. I'd hold up the "Context, please" sign, but an explanation may make even less sense.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
hvp05 said:
DIng DIng Ding.. we have a winner.. ANYBODY can volunteer to lead a scout troop, as long as you are Male and NOT gay.. but the training for these adult leaders is pretty lame.. They teach how to make meetings fun, and cool skits to perform, but never saw adult training on outdoor skills, hypothermia, heat injuries, or lightning prevention.. and if I read the article right, it was a SCOUT not an adult leader the gave CPR for an HOUR (unbelievable as that is) good chance the adult (if there was one left alive) didn't know how to do CPR.

hvp05

itsbob said:
They teach how to make meetings fun, and cool skits to perform, but never saw adult training on outdoor skills, hypothermia, heat injuries, or lightning prevention..
They might look to alter that policy soon. I never go somewhere without doing some prior research and feeling assured that I can handle the terrain, weather, etc. I guess some of these suburbia-based, office-working fathers are under the harmful misconception that spending a week in the Sierra Nevada, or wherever, is going to be as easy as relaxing on the deck.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
itsbob said:
DIng DIng Ding.. we have a winner.. ANYBODY can volunteer to lead a scout troop, as long as you are Male and NOT gay.. but the training for these adult leaders is pretty lame.. They teach how to make meetings fun, and cool skits to perform, but never saw adult training on outdoor skills, hypothermia, heat injuries, or lightning prevention.. and if I read the article right, it was a SCOUT not an adult leader the gave CPR for an HOUR (unbelievable as that is) good chance the adult (if there was one left alive) didn't know how to do CPR.

As a former and lifetime scouter, I will tell you that the idea is for the adult leader to bring some common sense to the table. If you haven't lived off the land you shouldn't volunteer to be the leader for living off the land. If your entire camping experience is renting a cabin at Yosemite, you shouldn't volunteer to lead a rock-climbing, camping experience.

This was a case of kids and leaders who were more concerned about staying dry than with avoiding a lightning strike. BUT (and it's a big one) it is rare to be struck by lightning. They avoided the granite outcropping but forgot the other warning about not being the tallest conductor in the meadow.

The main reason this article is newsworthy is that is follows closely the "deaths by electricity" episode at A.P. Hill.

willie

What is the correct answer besides not being there in the first place? The choice between a meadow and an outcropping of granite doesn't really leave many options.

willie

willie said:
What is the correct answer besides not being there in the first place? The choice between a meadow and an outcropping of granite doesn't really leave many options.
Someone objected to my question??? I asked an honest question that maybe all of us would benefit from knowing the correct answer. I myself would get under the granite outcropping but from what I understand, that wouldn't be wise.
Park officials said there was little else the troop could have done to prevent the tragedy.

“They did the best they could in the situation they were in,” park ranger Alex Picavet said. “They didn’t have metal poles, and stayed away from high points.”