Boyscout again???

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Lenny said:
The main reason this article is newsworthy is that is follows closely the "deaths by electricity" episode at A.P. Hill.
It would be valuable without the prior incident. Obviously, some people need to learn how to better handle themselves. The best thing for them to do would have been to lie/kneel down, possibly covered with the tarp as long as no big pieces of metal were around.

Remember, too, that the BSA is an organization that has had conflicts with certain groups in recent years. If a kid even got a cut on his arm opponents to BSA's 'philosophy' may cry for their dissolution.

Bonehead

Itsbob. NO not anybody can be a Scout Leader. Yes we are outside in all kinds of weather. Can you predict where lightning will strike ? Don't think so ace. You are clueless. This has been an absolutely ROUGH year on the Scouting organization. Maybe you you would be better suited to camfire girls ?

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
willie said:
What is the correct answer besides not being there in the first place? The choice between a meadow and an outcropping of granite doesn't really leave many options.

My scouting books always say to lay down if you're stuck in a field. Pitching a tarp breaks that rule.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bonehead said:
Itsbob. NO not anybody can be a Scout Leader. Yes we are outside in all kinds of weather. Can you predict where lightning will strike ? Don't think so ace. You are clueless. This has been an absolutely ROUGH year on the Scouting organization. Maybe you you would be better suited to camfire girls ?
Actually, I made a living, living in the woods, and doing survival training etc.. AND I volunteered and was a scout leader so in short I, out of the two of us, am NOT the clueless one. Now if you are done with the juvenile name calling, and one liners a ten year old would find witty, I consider this closed.

ANYBODY can volunteer to help the Boy Scouts.. ANYBODY, as long as they have a clean record and don't admit to being gay, and oh yeah, a MALE. Like anyone other volunteer organization they are always hurting for volunteers, and will almost take anybody willing. I stopped because I didn't agree with their training for the adults, and didn't like the idea of my boys going out in the woods with anyone not really trained to be in the woods.. Camping in an improved camp site, with electric and running water REALLY shouldn't be a qualifier to taking a group of 12 or more kids hiking and camping.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Lenny said:
As a former and lifetime scouter, I will tell you that the idea is for the adult leader to bring some common sense to the table. If you haven't lived off the land you shouldn't volunteer to be the leader for living off the land. If your entire camping experience is renting a cabin at Yosemite, you shouldn't volunteer to lead a rock-climbing, camping experience.
This is the point I'm trying to make.. BUT even if you don't have the wilderness or camping experience, they will LET you volunteer to do it.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Bonehead said:
:wah:

itsbob said:
DIng DIng Ding.. we have a winner.. ANYBODY can volunteer to lead a scout troop, as long as you are Male and NOT gay.. but the training for these adult leaders is pretty lame.. They teach how to make meetings fun, and cool skits to perform, but never saw adult training on outdoor skills, hypothermia, heat injuries, or lightning prevention.. and if I read the article right, it was a SCOUT not an adult leader the gave CPR for an HOUR (unbelievable as that is) good chance the adult (if there was one left alive) didn't know how to do CPR.
#1 You do NOT have to be male to be a Scout Leader. Women are allowed to lead too. Only caviot is that female leaders may not be the ONLY leaders at an event. Have to have a male there too. Can't have female leaders in the men's room supervising wash-up ya know.
#2 You DO have to have been certified by BSA by attending a full day (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) training course on camping (involves first aid, planning, equipment, RULES and lots of other stuff) in order to take a group on an overnight outdoor event. At least 1 adult leader in attendance must be certified, or the event cannot take place. I took the Cub Scout version of this course this past February.

If you would like more information on the current requirements to be a Scout leader, please let me know, and I will get you the links to the information.

Not bashing or anything like that, just correcting errors in your post due to rules that have changed over the years. Did you know, up until the late 70's (I think that's the right time) ONLY women were allowed to be Cub Scout Den Leaders?

Triggerfish

hvp05 said:
Or they could add a page to the Scout handbook that explicitly warns to not set up a tarp/tent in the middle of a field during a storm. (Or under power lines, for that matter.)

"Scouts Did Not Follow Protocol for Tents"

Jul 27, 2005 — Four men electrocuted while pitching a dining tent at the Boy Scout Jamboree had ignored scouting teachings by putting the tent under a power line, a spokesman said Wednesday.

for the whole story
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=984125&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

alex

huntr1 said:
#1 You do NOT have to be male to be a Scout Leader. Women are allowed to lead too. Only caviot is that female leaders may not be the ONLY leaders at an event. Have to have a male there too. Can't have female leaders in the men's room supervising wash-up ya know.
#2 You DO have to have been certified by BSA by attending a full day (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) training course on camping (involves first aid, planning, equipment, RULES and lots of other stuff) in order to take a group on an overnight outdoor event. At least 1 adult leader in attendance must be certified, or the event cannot take place. I took the Cub Scout version of this course this past February.

If you would like more information on the current requirements to be a Scout leader, please let me know, and I will get you the links to the information.

Not bashing or anything like that, just correcting errors in your post due to rules that have changed over the years. Did you know, up until the late 70's (I think that's the right time) ONLY women were allowed to be Cub Scout Den Leaders?
Where did you take your training? This all news to me and I have been a Boy Scout leader for 6 years and cub scout leader for 4. I have NEVER heard any of this. In fact, I can not even find these statements in the "Guide to Safe Scouting" which is the BSA Bible on safety and what you can and can not do.

As for the scouts in CA a NPS Ranger stated that this group did EVERYTHING they could to minimize their exposure to a lightening strike. That they were not up that high on the mountain and when they saw the weather turning they took shelter.

hvp05

Triggerfish said:
"Scouts Did Not Follow Protocol for Tents"
I was trying to lend them a wee bit of credit in thinking that they were simply unaware of proper procedure. To blatantly ignore proven knowledge is sad. And they paid for it. I can't say I feel particularly sorry for them.

hvp05

BuddyLee said:
Sure seems as if there is a lot of confusion and debate amongst the scouts.
Maybe that is part of the problem! If people within the organization can not even agree on what the rules are how can they be expected to follow them?

I'd rather go into the great outdoors with my kids one-on-one. It'd probably be more fun and I could feel secure knowing where they are, where they are going and who's leading the way. If I sent them off with a BSA (or other) group, it would be just my luck that they would be led by one of the morons that firmly proclaims, "Sure it's safe to set up camp during this storm! I know I read it in the Handbook!"

Bonehead

Instead of just sending your child off with a Scout Troop ...why not go with and make an informed decision about the Leadership of a particular Troop ? I have been in two different Troops and we have always welcomed interested parents. The initial training is a one day deal then followed up with a weekend of primitive camping. Adult Basic Leader training I think it is called. It's been a long time ago for me. Call the Coucil folks or attend Round Table. 2nd wednesday of the month at the VFW on Route 231. Starts at 7 pm I think.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
hvp05 said:
It would be valuable without the prior incident. Obviously, some people need to learn how to better handle themselves. The best thing for them to do would have been to lie/kneel down, possibly covered with the tarp as long as no big pieces of metal were around.

Remember, too, that the BSA is an organization that has had conflicts with certain groups in recent years. If a kid even got a cut on his arm opponents to BSA's 'philosophy' may cry for their dissolution.
If the Boy Scouts are using this method when caught in an open field during a storm it is no wonder someone was hurt.

Some quick tips for this scenario are;

1. If you are in the middle of a field and you begin to feel the hair stand up on the back of your neck, crouch down and hug your knees.
2. Do not lie down on the ground because the wet ground can carry the electrical current to you, even if the lightning strikes the ground away from you.
3. If you are in an open field with a large group of people, spread out several yards from each other.

hvp05

Then again, bad things can happen to even the best of them...

The poor fellow probably was injured (by accident or animal) because it's highly unlikely that he would simply become lost.

alex

Bonehead said:
Instead of just sending your child off with a Scout Troop ...why not go with and make an informed decision about the Leadership of a particular Troop ? I have been in two different Troops and we have always welcomed interested parents. The initial training is a one day deal then followed up with a weekend of primitive camping. Adult Basic Leader training I think it is called. It's been a long time ago for me. Call the Coucil folks or attend Round Table. 2nd wednesday of the month at the VFW on Route 231. Starts at 7 pm I think.
:yeahthat: Actually the roundtables - which are ongoing training for adult leaders and other registered adult scouters are held in 2 places now. For Calvert and St. Mary''s they are held at Appeal Elementary School in Lusby (during the school year) and Charles county is no longer meeting at the VFW since they have already torn it down for the Hughesville Bypass or in the process of doing that. You can always check out http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org for more information.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
hvp05 said:
Then again, bad things can happen to even the best of them...

The poor fellow probably was injured (by accident or animal) because it's highly unlikely that he would simply become lost.
They found his body. Seems he fell.