Brace for another SMECO rate hike

Clem72

And, you boast your elite engineering background only to fail at grasping the idea and extensive costs involved with this idea which any competent electrical engineer would easily understand.
Um, ok.

I didn't say elite engineer, I said electrical engineer. And as I worked for the governent I was far from elite.

And you are changing my premise. I said it would be cheaper to bury than repeatedly repair. I said conduit is cheaper than poles. I did not say retrofits are cheap or free.

They just replaced about 100 telephone poles 3 or 4 years ago in leonardtown, that would have been an ideal time to replace that run. Around the same time they put in massive steel poles in Lexington park, probably would have been a good opportunity to underground those as well. Doesn't need to be a huge retrofit action, it could be done the same way they replace large runs of poles right now.

PeoplesElbow

There are some places buried lines aren't possible, mine are buried but a couple streets over they are not, has something to do with the ground over there.

Paul Wu

I didn't say elite engineer, I said electrical engineer. And as I worked for the governent I was far from elite.

And you are changing my premise. I said it would be cheaper to bury than repeatedly repair. I said conduit is cheaper than poles. I did not say retrofits are cheap or free.

They just replaced about 100 telephone poles 3 or 4 years ago in leonardtown, that would have been an ideal time to replace that run. Around the same time they put in massive steel poles in Lexington park, probably would have been a good opportunity to underground those as well. Doesn't need to be a huge retrofit action, it could be done the same way they replace large runs of poles right now.
I don't think we are on the same page here.
Have a good one.

DannyMotorcycle

I just got a chevy volt.. Do i have to request a night time rate change or did they do that automatically last time they rate hiked not too long ago?

Paul Wu

I just got a chevy volt.. Do i have to request a night time rate change or did they do that automatically last time they rate hiked not too long ago?
You sign up on SMECO's website to have your account changed to automatic rate billing. In the summer, you get higher rates from 2p-7p during business days. 7p-2p would be off peak hours.
In the winter, those hours change.
Basically, peak is when the A/C and heat useage is at its highest.

3CATSAILOR

In the latest newsletter delivered with our electric bill is an article advising that SMECO expects to request another rate hike at the end of April to take effect in July 2022. Ugh! Not surprising considering the price of fuels these days, but it is annoying that we were only energy independent for a very short time before things took a sharp downward turn on January 20, 2021.
Once it goes up, how often do you see it go back down?

DannyMotorcycle

You sign up on SMECO's website to have your account changed to automatic rate billing. In the summer, you get higher rates from 2p-7p during business days. 7p-2p would be off peak hours.
In the winter, those hours change.
Basically, peak is when the A/C and heat useage is at its highest.
Thanks Paul!