Dept of Agriculture Brood X Periodical Cicadas Hit PEAK 2021 Emergence

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
Press Release: Maryland Dept. of Agriculture

Brood X periodical cicadas are hitting PEAK emergence in many parts of Maryland. This means millions of fully-grown winged adults are flying and blundering into things (and us), “singing” as loud as they can, and starting to mate. What’s that loud buzzing you hear? It’s the sound of male cicadas earnestly belting out their love songs! Read the Rest...

[ Read the rest of the article here ]

stgislander

PREMO Member
Was up in Western MD over the weekend. The mountain behind my mom's house sounded something from an old sci-fi movie. My nephew measured the frequency of the "chirping" multiple times. Each time it centered up on 5993 Hz.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Interesting. The cicadas were out in force this morning in East Tall Timbers. I had thought I had been hearing one here and there before. No mistaking it this morning.

UglyBear

Interesting. The cicadas were out in force this morning in East Tall Timbers. I had thought I had been hearing one here and there before. No mistaking it this morning.
If you find a dead cicada on the ground, note its color.
It seems that “Brood X”, the 17-year brood, had orange color “trim”.
The normal ones, that come out regularly, have green “trim”. I just found one next to my house, and it was green. We did not get a single orange one, while PG was covered in them a month ago.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The normal ones, that come out regularly, have green “trim”. I just found one next to my house, and it was green. We did not get a single orange one, while PG was covered in them a month ago.
Do they have the red LED headlights?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

stgislander

PREMO Member
Saw a dead one in the driveway yesterday. It had green "trim".

stgislander

PREMO Member
Holy crap. There's a Cicada sitting on our patio table. It's going to be pretty lonely if it's the only one.

Is there another brood hatching this year?