Brostrom procedure on ankle

music

Anyone ever have this done? Have to get it done, going up to Annapolis Sports Medicine. Just wondering if anyone has had this done and how it went for them. Thanks!

R

retiredweaxman

I had snapped both ligaments in my ankle and had a similar procedure done. The doc "opened" the joint during xrays by turning the ankle. Anything over 5 degrees of separation would warrant consideration for surgery. He was able to open the ankle joint a full 13 degrees. My instability was so bad that when I would step off a curb onto a street, my foot would twist 90 degrees inward and I would actually step on the ankle instead of the foot (outside of the foot would be against the road).

My surgery was at least 12 years ago and I am happy to say that I have had very minimal problems since. I do not have full mobility - probably reduced by 10-20 percent (I can not turn the foot inward like I should be able to).

I do have some problems when it is cold. At times, it will feel as if someone is sticking a hot needle into my ankle. This usually passes after a couple of hours. I also experience some pain if I do some serious walking or standing on my feet for more than 4-5 hours at a time.

I won't get into the "gross" aspects of my surgery. If you want more info, feel free to PM me here.

music

I had snapped both ligaments in my ankle and had a similar procedure done. The doc "opened" the joint during xrays by turning the ankle. Anything over 5 degrees of separation would warrant consideration for surgery. He was able to open the ankle joint a full 13 degrees. My instability was so bad that when I would step off a curb onto a street, my foot would twist 90 degrees inward and I would actually step on the ankle instead of the foot (outside of the foot would be against the road).

My surgery was at least 12 years ago and I am happy to say that I have had very minimal problems since. I do not have full mobility - probably reduced by 10-20 percent (I can not turn the foot inward like I should be able to).

I do have some problems when it is cold. At times, it will feel as if someone is sticking a hot needle into my ankle. This usually passes after a couple of hours. I also experience some pain if I do some serious walking or standing on my feet for more than 4-5 hours at a time.

I won't get into the "gross" aspects of my surgery. If you want more info, feel free to PM me here.

Yes, he did the same xray today & I had 18 degrees of separation in mine. I did this falling off a porch delivering pizza (my part time job)....go figure

R

retiredweaxman

Yes, he did the same xray today & I had 18 degrees of separation in mine. I did this falling off a porch delivering pizza (my part time job)....go figure

Response PM sent