Brown Bag Protest - opinions please

Christy

b*tch rocket
I'm on the phone with her now and she says, "They can't stop the signal!"

She owns the series, the follow on movie, and the comic book series that Joss writes to continue the story...:nerd:

Ooooh, I need to check out the comic books. :yay:

It is a damn shame that series was cancelled. :frown:

FED_UP

A couple of things have happened recently that made me think of this idea - it would be for those working on NSA Patuxent River.

A bring your lunch to work protest.
1. The allegation that there is a liquid lunch crowd. I can't remember ever seeing someone having a lunch and an alcoholic beverage at lunch. I've never heard of any complaints (on base) if people coming back to work drunk or even having the smell of booze on them. For the most part I think people have enough of a problem just getting on / off base that they don't have the time to drink.

2. As a follow on to the time required to enter / exit the gate. It's insane that we have only one inbound lane at lunch time. The delays involved make it for all practical purposes impossible to go "out" to lunch and do so within an hour.

3. The choices and quality of the facilities on base is poor. (witness the recent closure of the Subway for health code violations) This goes for both the MWR and contract providers.

4. The parking situation is so bad at some buildings you don't want to leave for fear of having to hike a mile back from your car.

With those complaints in mind I was wondering if a protest, a bring your lunch to work / don't spend any money would lead to some improvements.

For me, I no longer even contemplate going out for lunch, it simply takes to long. If I forget to bring something in, oh well, there is no other viable option.

But a protest with a large majority of workers joining in might send a mesage that would cause both the base and St. Marys Co. officials to improve the situation. A lot of these businesses rely on that lunch crowd.

There is no place on base you have to walk a mile to get to your bldg., quit exaggerating. So you might have to walk about 100 feet or so at some buildings, are you lazy? Yea gate 2 is jacked up manytimes its like pot luck coming back from lunch could be one lane open could be two. Lunch is what you make of it I guess, we all got different options, but the ones who have to sweat a tight azz supervisor standing at the door with a timer are sucking. I remember this Biatch rated me out for taking 15 minutes longer for lunch but did the biatch say anything when I worked an hour one day past my time, that azz hole, oh um getting personal now, sorry.

NTNG

Exactly. MWR has raised prices and reduced offerings and the new Rivers' whatever is out of the way. They also closed Pax Landing and changed it into some "club".

If everyone just ate at their desk and didn't purchase even a beverage from MWR I think the pain would be felt in under a week. Of course they would simply make a rule that says for health reasons you can't eat at your desk (because your trash can would stink because it only gets emptied once a week).

Try carrying your trash out every day to the dumpster, it works wonders in keeping the smell down.....

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
The Rivers Edge is terrible.
The new Landing (sandwich shop) is terrible too.

Wish they never closed the buffet at the old Landing.

bohman

There is no place on base you have to walk a mile to get to your bldg., quit exaggerating. So you might have to walk about 100 feet or so at some buildings, are you lazy?

Apparently you weren't anywhere near the IPT building yesterday.

I would like to join this movement.

But I work down here on the pimple in the ass-crack of Maryland, St. Inigoes.

So, I'm in a forced "protest".... bring a bagged lunch or starve - because there's nothing cheap, fast, or easy within a 35 mile radius.

If I ever get out of this god-forsaken ####-hole, I'll join your cause.

Does the roach coach still make the rounds down there? Are there any options left for lunch at all? No more Mattie's/Charlie's Deli, no more Raley's (I think?) What's left, St. James deli, I guess. Is Schaible's open?

It always was a PITA to find lunch down that way.

BernieP

Resident PIA
There is no place on base you have to walk a mile to get to your bldg., quit exaggerating. So you might have to walk about 100 feet or so at some buildings, are you lazy? Yea gate 2 is jacked up manytimes its like pot luck coming back from lunch could be one lane open could be two. Lunch is what you make of it I guess, we all got different options, but the ones who have to sweat a tight azz supervisor standing at the door with a timer are sucking. I remember this Biatch rated me out for taking 15 minutes longer for lunch but did the biatch say anything when I worked an hour one day past my time, that azz hole, oh um getting personal now, sorry.

Yes, I exaggerate, but in the cases I've seen the "lot" is more then 100 feet, more then 100 yards. "lot" is in quotes because in several cases it's not a paved / lined, let alone lit, parking area. First they have used parking lots to erect buildings. Second new rules (anti-terrorism) prevent parking within 40 feet of the building.

Traffic is bad at all 3 gates during the day. I don't relish having to go off base for any reason. Hell, once I park, I don't want to move my car even to go on base. You have to add a good deal of wasted time to find parking and hike into a meeting.

Try carrying your trash out every day to the dumpster, it works wonders in keeping the smell down.....

WHAT dumpster, I can bag the trash and leave it in the hall, but I do not have access to a dumpster.

Toxick

Splat
Does the roach coach still make the rounds down there?

Not that I'm aware of.

On Mondays I think there's a hot-dog vendor somewhere nearby. I don't know the details about that.

Are there any options left for lunch at all?

Nothing that qualifies as Cheap, Fast and Easy. You know something that I could hit in a few minutes, and get back to work. Raleys has a mini chinese/american take-out counter, and St. James is open for sammiches. Both of those are still a 1/2 hour round trip, not counting ordering and prep time in the deli - and neither of them are "cheap" per se.

No more Mattie's/Charlie's Deli, no more Raley's (I think?) What's left, St. James deli, I guess. Is Schaible's open?

Schaibles, and a few other sit-down restaurants are around, but none of those qualify as cheap, none are fast, and none are easy.

God I hate this place.

party301

i'll think of one.....
so basically you want to protest by staying at work there by elimanating travel time and working more. i'm sure that is going to upset someone. a better idea might be an everyone go out to lunch day.

Yes a mile is a strecth, but at times at ours 100yds to get to the door is the norm. Not bad unless it's crappy weather.

so basically you want to protest by staying at work there by elimanating travel time and working more. i'm sure that is going to upset someone. a better idea might be an everyone go out to lunch day.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Are we going to drink also? One drink per person only of course.