Brown & Hogan Debate

awpitt

Main Streeter
Balanced the budget and left office with a 500 million dollar surplus.

The Maryland Constitution requires that all MD state budgets be balanced. The fact that Gov. Ehrlich and the General Assemly balanced the budget is not unique. As far as the surplus you mention, Ehrlich included the "rainy day fund," as most of that figure. Every annual budget includes the "rainy day fund" which is a reserve account that equals 5 percent of tax revenue.

itsrequired

It's a shame they won't let the Libertarian Shawn Quinn participate in the debates.

Why? He's not a serious candidate. Why would you want a guy who has never managed anything to be your CEO? I've asked you the question before and you didn't answer. Would you want him to run your company?

He has a high school education. He has never held a management position in any organization he has worked. This should tell YOU that the people who know him best have never trusted him to lead!

Yet, because he is a member of the libertarian party you think he should be heard!

I don't. He is a vote waster. You go right ahead and waste your vote.

Chris0nllyn

Why? He's not a serious candidate. Why would you want a guy who has never managed anything to be your CEO? I've asked you the question before and you didn't answer. Would you want him to run your company?

He has a high school education. He has never held a management position in any organization he has worked. This should tell YOU that the people who know him best have never trusted him to lead!

Yet, because he is a member of the libertarian party you think he should be heard!

I don't. He is a vote waster. You go right ahead and waste your vote.

Maybe some of us believe that a regular citizen who has to manage their own check book like the rest of us is a good choice.

All candidates should be allowed to debate. Why does that scare you?

itsrequired

Maybe some of us believe that a regular citizen who has to manage their own check book like the rest of us is a good choice.

All candidates should be allowed to debate. Why does that scare you?

It doesn't scare me, but why waste the time. Do you believe this guy has the experience to manage your company?

Chris0nllyn

It doesn't scare me, but why waste the time. Do you believe this guy has the experience to manage your company?

So, no real reason to not allow him other than "he doesn't have a chance"? Does it at least make you question why both candidates didn't allow him to any of the debates?

I believe the current governor doesn't have the experience, but he appoints people that do. Being another ordinary citizen, running a campaign with his own money (not taxpayer money), and not answering to special interest groups isn't a bad thing. Couple that with Libertarian ideals and his stances laid out on his website, and I see no issues.

itsrequired

So, no real reason to not allow him other than "he doesn't have a chance"? Does it at least make you question why both candidates didn't allow him to any of the debates?

Because he is insignificant?

I believe the current governor doesn't have the experience, but he appoints people that do. Being another ordinary citizen, running a campaign with his own money (not taxpayer money), and not answering to special interest groups isn't a bad thing. Couple that with Libertarian ideals and his stances laid out on his website, and I see no issues.

Wow! Really? Lets see.

Quinn. High school education. Some sort of temporary police officer. Truck driver and Navy veteran. (enlisted E6 I believe)

O'Malley.

Graduated Catholic University, then University of Maryland School of Law. Assistant States Attorney for Baltimore City. State Field Director for Senator Mikulski.
Baltimore City Council.
Chairman, Legislation committee, Chairman, Finance and Taxation committee.
Mayor, City of Baltimore, Govenor of the State of Maryland.

Now you can argue that O'Malley is not a good at what he does, but you can't argue their resumes.

Would you want Quinn to run the company you work for?

Quinn doesn't have any special interest money because they wouldn't give it to him! LOL

SG_Player1974

Wow! Really? Lets see.

Quinn. High school education. Some sort of temporary police officer. Truck driver and Navy veteran. (enlisted E6 I believe)

O'Malley.

Graduated Catholic University, then University of Maryland School of Law. Assistant States Attorney for Baltimore City. State Field Director for Senator Mikulski.
Baltimore City Council.
Chairman, Legislation committee, Chairman, Finance and Taxation committee.
Mayor, City of Baltimore, Govenor of the State of Maryland.

Now you can argue that O'Malley is not a good at what he does, but you can't argue their resumes.

Would you want Quinn to run the company you work for?

Quinn doesn't have any special interest money because they wouldn't give it to him! LOL

I don't have a dog in this particular spat however I must say....

All that education and "experience" that O'Malley has listed above has gotten him and us where exactly? Maybe it might be time for something new? Also, I don't care if the guy was home schooled.... as long as he can do a good job and do it RIGHT.... let the man debate and then let the public decide. He should get a chance though...

itsrequired

I don't have a dog in this particular spat however I must say....

All that education and "experience" that O'Malley has listed above has gotten him and us where exactly? Maybe it might be time for something new? Also, I don't care if the guy was home schooled.... as long as he can do a good job and do it RIGHT.... let the man debate and then let the public decide. He should get a chance though...

That's the point. He doesn't have a chance so why let him debate. If the libertarians were a real party, they would have a real candidate. I'm sorry, but if you want someone to run an organization with an annual budget of 36 million dollars, don't you believe they had to have accomplished something beyond high school and driving a truck?

I'll ask you. Would you want a to hire a truck driver with no managerial experience to run your company?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
We had a Republican governor before Mr. Omalley...what did he do besides rape the road and rainy day funds?

Balanced the budget and left his successor with a surplus. That wasn't enough so O'Malley called a special session to cut spending. Which did happen but $2 1/2B was added in new spending at the same time.

Left the State Retirement System fully funded. O'Malley has taken it down to 61% of projected cost.

Left Project Open Space fully funded. O'Malley raided it in it's entirety.

Increased funding to local jurisdictions for State Aid to Police. O'Malley zeroed it out. It's now back to about 5% of the level under Ehrlich.

Increased funding to locals for Highway User Revenue. O'Malley zeroed it out. It's now back to about 20% of the Ehrlich level even with the gas tax increase.

Tried to get approval for slots. Was opposed by Mike Miller and Michael Busch. They had a conversion and gambling was expanded under O'Malley.

Recommitted the State to funding teacher pensions. O'Malley kicked that back to the Counties.

Instituted the Flush Tax. O'Malley doubled it. Which actually is a good thing. The smaller systems are now eligible for funding for the required ENR upgrades which they weren't before. Also, septic users have a grant program now for upgrades.

Last edited:

intertidal

Balanced the budget and left his successor with a surplus. That wasn't enough so O'Malley called a special session to cut spending. Which did happen but $2 1/2B was added in new spending at the same time.

Left the State Retirement System fully funded. O'Malley hasn't taken it down to 61% of projected cost.

Left Project Open Space fully funded. O'Malley raided it in it's entirety.

Increased funding to local jurisdictions for State Aid to Police. O'Malley zeroed it out. It's now back to about 5% of the level under Ehrlich.

Increased funding to locals for Highway User Revenue. O'Malley zeroed it out. It's now back to about 20% of the Ehrlich level even with the gas tax increase.

Tried to get approval for slots. Was opposed by Mike Miller and Michael Busch. They had a conversion and gambling was expanded under O'Malley.

Recommitted the State to funding teacher pensions. O'Malley kicked that back to the Counties.

Instituted the Flush Tax. O'Malley doubled it. Which actually is a good thing. The smaller systems are now eligible for funding for the required ENR upgrades which they weren't before. Also, septic users have a grant program now for upgrades.

People opposed to the state gov't stealing dedicated (tax) funds to give the money to D donors and friends are "wackos" according to Mike Miller:
http://marylandreporter.com/2014/03...et-miller-gripes-about-environmental-whackos/

No name-calling yet for those who speak out in opposition to the state stealing teacher and state worker pension contributions...

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Don't care about the debates and I think they're a waste of time. Brown has it sewn up, no problem, so why Hogan is even wasting all that money running is beyond me.

Blister

Just like Hillary. Too bad we will all have to listen to three years of endless shrieking, whining, and lying.

I am tired of Brown and feel that Hogan will only be an imitation of the same. I think Quinn should have been included in the debates. The comment regarding Quinn's education makes me ask, How did O'Malley's education benefit the state of Maryland? Shawn Quinn is a working joe, just like most of us. He is willing to talk to people. I believe that he has the ability to put the right people in the right places to get Maryland back in shape. I'm voting for Quinn!