Buffalo Wings and Beer

SamSpade

Yeah at the BW&B in CLoverly, I dropped by once and tried what you would call their "10". At the time I think it was called something like 'inferno' or 'coffin' (they've revamped the names). While the first couple just seemed a bit spicy, by the time I'd finished 6 or 7, I was at my absolute threshold of mouth pain. I learned later that hotness in things like peppers is due to the presence of capsaicin, and can *accumulate*. It does NOT dissolve in water, but it does dissolve in oil or alcohol, making tequila and Mexican food a perfect chaser (milk works too, since it has fat in it).

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
SamSpade said:
Yeah at the BW&B in CLoverly, I dropped by once and tried what you would call their "10". At the time I think it was called something like 'inferno' or 'coffin' (they've revamped the names). While the first couple just seemed a bit spicy, by the time I'd finished 6 or 7, I was at my absolute threshold of mouth pain. I learned later that hotness in things like peppers is due to the presence of capsaicin, and can *accumulate*. It does NOT dissolve in water, but it does dissolve in oil or alcohol, making tequila and Mexican food a perfect chaser (milk works too, since it has fat in it).
Eating breads and "bready" foods helps too. It actually soaks up the capsaicin and takes it to your stomach instead of leaving it in your mouth.

Anyone know if this place has opened yet? Thinking about going there for lunch today.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I make wings at home, except I use strips of boneless chicken. I dredge them in egg before coating them with flour, since these don't have skins to absorb the hot sauce. I could go for some wings right now... :yum:

C

czygvtwkr

Real buffalo wings have no breading at all on them, just deepfried chicken in sauce.

I have come to like the wing bar at McKays since there is little else here in lexington park.

My favorite wings come from a place called BW3, shortened from Buffalo Wings and Wild Weck, and I loved their buffalo chips.

S

Shutterbug

czygvtwkr said:
My favorite wings come from a place called BW3, shortened from Buffalo Wings and Wild Weck, and I loved their buffalo chips.
I love BW3! I miss their food. :frown:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Last I heard the Fire Marshall came in and said he couldnt open because there was no sprinkler system in the place and i also hear that the owner doesnt want to spend the money on a new one, that he'd rather just get rid of the building. So that leaves the leasee with the decision to either pay for it himself or leave and lose all the money already invested. And thats all i know.

Danzig

Building owner and the business owner have been fighting this out for a while. I have spoke to many current and past business owners at the square and all agree on one thing.

Building owner is a SLUM LORD.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
In college I worked for a summer in the old Rustler Steakhouse. A whole string of businesses have failed in that building. It looks like it's in sad shape, although I haven't been in it in years.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Its looking really nice inside. Shame to see it all go down the drain. Hes basically ready to open.....almost.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
baileydog said:
Its looking really nice inside. Shame to see it all go down the drain. Hes basically ready to open.....almost.
BUMP! Anyone know if this has opened yet?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SamSpade said:
I'm not an "expert", and as far as choices, everyone's different. For example, Ruby's wings usually come out soaking in sauce - I *HATE* that. Applebees has some pretty good wings, as does Outback, but Outbacks's wings are closer to just normal fried chicken. Damon's wings have just way too much breading for me to enjoy, but some people prefer their wings that way. Stoney's wings were ok, but you go there for the crabcakes and chowder anyway. And I kinda like the wings at Fastop too.

Hooter's really has mediocre wings, to be honest, which is weird because other than the obvious, it's what they're supposed to be famous for.

My favorite has always been the BW&B's wings, and my parents live within about 3 miles of TWO of them, and my sister and I used to pretty much dine out on just their carryout (because for me, her, and her daughter, one 5 lb box was usually enough).

I like Applebee's, and Ruby's but LOVE the way Boomerangs does their wings. They bring out fried wings plain with the sauce on the side. You can put as little or as much on them as you like.. and their sauce is REAL good.. tastes sweet at first.. then gets HOT!! COuld be hotter, but love the way the do it..

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
itsbob said:
I like Applebee's, and Ruby's but LOVE the way Boomerangs does their wings. They bring out fried wings plain with the sauce on the side. You can put as little or as much on them as you like.. and their sauce is REAL good.. tastes sweet at first.. then gets HOT!! COuld be hotter, but love the way the do it..
Lonestar has pretty tasty wings... big too.
:yum:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
The alchohol hearing is on Thurs. Oct 14. The new owner says he hopes to be open on Mon. Oct 18. Good time for all. The place looks really nice. Pinball games, pool tables and TVs everywhere and a good menu to boot. Cant wait.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Danzig said:
Not open yet. I saw a Guy (Bud) truck out front. I would guess this week, I hope tonight.

Awesome! Wish I'd have seen this thread earlier. I've been to the one in Mt. Airy (up toward Fredrick) and they are the ONLY restraunt I've been to that can make food hot enough to make me wish I didn't order it. Most places, I can't even taste the spice. At BWB, the Insane C*** Sauce will make your eyes run, your stomach light on fire, and render you un-able to speak.