Building Decks

WorkinMomma

Does anyone know any local amish who build decks? OR anyone who builds decks as a side job??

Can't get the hubby of his lazy azz!! :bawl:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by WorkinMomma
Does anyone know any local amish who build decks? OR anyone who builds decks as a side job??

I'll be happy to build yours for the cost of materials plus $40 per hour, cash. I offer no guarantees or warranties on my work though.

I figure it'll be good practice for when I build mine. :biggrin:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
:ohwell: :ohwell:

Thanks - but No Thanks.:banghead:

Was it the price, or the lack of guarantees/warranties.

I'd be willing to negotiate the price. :smile:

jonjon

Deck

I can do your deck for you at a price of 17.00 sq.ft. i do decks basements and other such things. Drop me a line if you wish to proceed so i can put you on my schedule. If not oh well i offered, have a good day :)

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: Deck

Originally posted by jonjon
I can do your deck for you at a price of 17.00 sq.ft. i do decks basements and other such things. Drop me a line if you wish to proceed so i can put you on my schedule. If not oh well i offered, have a good day :)

I'm trying to get some bling-bling here. :bonk:

Tell Hubby to get his lazy butt to Lowes, buy a deck building book, read it, maybe twice, then get his azz to work. :biggrin: It's not that big a deal. And at the end of the day, the beer tastes much better!

Besides, you won't find a builder because there too busy building homes. I've been trying for three months to get someone to build a garage - the people just aren't out there.

Maybe jonjon is the way to go. A 12 x 20 deck will cost $4000 to have him do it. Not bad, but I bet hubby could build it with your help for half that amount.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Decks Unlimited seems to build great decks. Two of my neighbors just had them put in recently.

(301) 643-2565 -- Robin Kimps

I believe Clinton fence uses him also, but you pay an overhead charge!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member

Just tell him he'll pay twice as much for someone else to do it. You can save the extra money for beer and steak. Years ago I built the 2nd addition onto my deck with some help from my father after I fired my contractor. 2A and I designed & built the 3rd part and put in a hot tub. It just about killed us but we recovered. :lol:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Screw Lowes, go to 84 lumber. We got a 10x10 for under $400 a couple of years ago, got the sales flyer in the mail the other day, they're on sale again. I did it myself over the weekend-scratch that-took 1 month because of the county permits. You tell 84 how big you want it, they give you the plans & material. The wife & kids helped too, was eazy!

This weekend I'm putting up a storage shed from 84, it is 10x12 and cost about $1K, the same thing at Lowes was $1500.

84 will deliver it and of course if you get their credit card you get one year interest free.

Originally posted by jlabsher
Screw Lowes, go to 84 lumber.

Or go to Borders, my point is - buy a book to learn how to build the thing and learn to estimate the materials.

After that take your materials list to 84 Lumber, Lowes, Deans, and Joe's Discount Termite Wood to get estimates. :wink: If 84 Lumber tosses in a plan, then you're ahead of the game.

But, if you've never built a deck, you still might want to refer to that book.

Hey WorkinMomma, got Hubby off the couch yet?

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I knew how big of a deck I wanted, went to 84 & told them. They gave me the plans & materials I needed. Included screws, nails, lumber, fasteners, concrete, stain, etc. I didn't know how much material I needed, they punched my deck size into the computer & it spit out a material list & plans for me. I imagine Lowes does the same, but I spend enough money there already. I like 84 for big projects, because it is a "real" lumberyard.

I got a couple of books from the library but they weren't real helpful.

I take the Red Green approach "If the ladies don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy." I've finished my basement & do lots of other odd jobs (although I'll NEVER do drywall again!), worked construction through college, but by no means am an expert. If you know nothing about building, a book won't hurt, it will make you more confident. If you can use a hammer & saw you can build a deck.

WorkinMomma, you should convince him by how much he could save. We spent under $400 and added $3000 to the resale value. If we used a contractor it would have cost us at least $2K.

willie

If you save the money by doing it yourself, you can afford to deck it with Trex or one of the other manufactured materials. No more pressure cleaning, sealing or stain.

mattf

I priced out each and every board that I needed, and went to 84 lumber and asked them to match the Lowes prices on the ones that they were higher. They did, and I bought all the lumber from them, with free delivery. Saved a lot of money!

jonjon

anything over 13 dollars is BS? have you seen the price of wood now a days. the price has gone up almost dbl since this time last year. and then you figure in pressure treated lumber and its unreal. best you look again at what your saying. i do this for a living and 17 a sq.ft is a very good price.

RPM

jonjon,

ok, so to do a 10x10 deck for someone you would charge $1,700 dollars. materials for the job would run about $400. $500 tops, and could be done in a day.

thats about a $1200 profit. the fact that you do it for a living is the only reason you think that is a reasonable price.

the price is that high, because people who cant do it themselves are willing to pay it.

that doesnt make it fair. thats just the way it is.

RPM

jonjon,

for what its worth, i will admit $17 per sf is cheaper than a lot of other places charge.

Broke90GSX

Re: jonjon,

Originally posted by RPM
for what its worth, i will admit $17 per sf is cheaper than a lot of other places charge.

What about his labor rates, his tools, his truck, his business fees, taxes... 17$ a sq. ft is pretty reasonable. Try calling Deck America to see what their rates are. Hows $5k for a 14'x14' deck? Definitely more than 17$ a sq. ft.

Rob