Bumps/Bug bites?

SugarNSpikes

So today I was brushing the horse and noticed that down his neck, chest and girth area he has all sorts of crusty bumps. I picked them off, washed it and put some medicine on it.

Is this normal for horses who are turned out 24/7? Do your horses ever get anything similar? I've never seen this on him before so it worried me.

Also, what type of fly spray do you all use? Whatever I have just doesn't seem to be working, but at this point I'm convinced that none of it works.

One last question (I didn't want to create a new thread) - can anyone give me a tentative schedule of some of the local horsey events, such as trail rides and other fun things? I'm going to MW and Freestate but I'd like to get Mocha out on trails more. Maybe if you all go out on weekdays or something? He's a lovely boy, however he MUST lead or he throws a fit for the entire ride and I feel that the only way to fix this is to get him out with other horses and give him more trail miles.

Last edited:

devinej

those crusty bumps are normal around here. my horse gets them too, there are these little nasty nats that dig in there. i like to clean them off and even spray them with allu-sheild, you can get that at elam's. "wipe" is a good bug stuff too.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
those crusty bumps are normal around here. my horse gets them too, there are these little nasty nats that dig in there. i like to clean them off and even spray them with allu-sheild, you can get that at elam's. "wipe" is a good bug stuff too.

WIPE is good stuff, but beware it is very oily and can make the horse hotter when the temps are already hot. I use it on the legs mostly. it also helps with ticks.

I spritz their body with a vinegar based fly spray and it usually works good for the nats.

Last edited:

duchess1

So today I was brushing the horse and noticed that down his neck, chest and girth area he has all sorts of crusty bumps. I picked them off, washed it and put some medicine on it.

Is this normal for horses who are turned out 24/7? Do your horses ever get anything similar? I've never seen this on him before so it worried me.

Also, what type of fly spray do you all use? Whatever I have just doesn't seem to be working, but at this point I'm convinced that none of it works.

One last question (I didn't want to create a new thread) - can anyone give me a tentative schedule of some of the local horsey events, such as trail rides and other fun things? I'm going to MW and Freestate but I'd like to get Mocha out on trails more. Maybe if you all go out on weekdays or something? He's a lovely boy, however he MUST lead or he throws a fit for the entire ride and I feel that the only way to fix this is to get him out with other horses and give him more trail miles.[/QUOTE

It could also be rain rot. If it seems a little painful to your horse when you pick it off, it very well may be.

R

remaxrealtor

WIPE is good stuff, but beware it is very oily and can make the horse hotter when the temps are already hot. I use it on the legs mostly. it also helps with ticks.

I spritz their body with a vinegar based fly spray and it usually works good for the nats.

Do you mix your own vinegar base, or is it a purchased product?

BentleysRider

My horses are also turned out 24/7. The location you mentioned is not really normal for rain rot. Mine get the same type of thing, and I think it is from the plant we call Devil's Walking Stick. It's basically a tall shrub with leaves at the top and spines all over it, stem and branches. Anytime mine get into them they get that same type of marks. Takes about a week to dry up, and then another week or two to clear up completely. Watch for infections, but I've never had any long term affects from them. Mostly ugly looking.

Fly spray? I like Absorbine Ultra Shield EX for spray when I'm riding and don't want to get oily. I like the WIPE when the horses will be out for a couple of days and they mostly need longer term protection. Also use Freedom drops as a booster.

Robin

One last question (I didn't want to create a new thread) - can anyone give me a tentative schedule of some of the local horsey events, such as trail rides and other fun things? I'm going to MW and Freestate but I'd like to get Mocha out on trails more. Maybe if you all go out on weekdays or something? He's a lovely boy, however he MUST lead or he throws a fit for the entire ride and I feel that the only way to fix this is to get him out with other horses and give him more trail miles.

Some horses get the crusty spots from fly bites that like the sweaty thin areas of skin.

I like Ultrashield ex or supershield. I also like Equi-spot on I have used Repel xp, Flysect super c, along with many many others. nothing keeps a horse flyfree.

Oakridge park has trails. perhaps you can also meet up with some of your show buddys and take a trail ride.

get on the southern maryland trail riders web site perhaps one from their can link it for you or google it

Last edited:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Do you mix your own vinegar base, or is it a purchased product?

Here is a few sites to check out:
Today's Horse - Fly Spray Recipes

Fly Spray Recipes

How to Make Your Own Fly Repellent for Horses | eHow.com

Natural Bug Repellents

Main ingredients that I found that work:
Tea tree oil
clove oil
Lavender oil
Eucalyptus oil
Lemon oil (optional) give a cooling effect

Mix in a spray bottle with vinegar

The essential oils are seemingly costly, but you only use like 10 drops per gallon of Apple Cider vinegar. Slightly more Tea tree oil should be used.

You can dilute the vinegar somewhat, but it is not necessary.
Something like:
1/4 water to 3/4 vinegar.

I just by the cheaper gallon sized vinegar at Wal-Mart for a little over three bucks.

Also, I found if you put a few squirts of a glycerin based natural conditioner, such as Trésumé, and spray their mane and tail with it ( vinegar mixture) before a trail ride, it helps to get tangles out of long manes and helps the fly spray to stick a little better, but not two oily

VINEGAR is a natural antiseptic and has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties. So it can help with bug bites and very mild cases of rain rot/ dew rot. You can also spray it directly onto the frogs of the feet and sole of the hoof to help prevent and cure thrush.

For those horses that do not like trigger sprayers, you can use one of the pump up kind of sprayer for gardening. they usually don't make the shhht shhht sound. It also does it quicker. Most of my guys could care less about the trigger sprayer, but my two new mares aren't used to it yet.
You can also use those plastic old timey Ketchup bottles to squirt the vinegar on the sole of the hoof and frog (after youve cleaned it of course). I freind showed that to me recently. it works pretty good to give the hoof a good dousing.

OH.... and Since it is water/vinegar based, you should apply it daily.

Like I said when the fly’s are really bad, I use the wipe on all the legs. I spray everything else with the vinegar. You can apply it to your hands to douse the forelock and the ears.

ALSO Fed internally:
A small splash of vinegar in their grain helps to keep bugs away
Fresh garlic cloves added daily to their grain helps to keep bugs away.
Some horses will eat it plain, some will not.

I usually have a trigger sprayer full of plain vinegar as well. A few of my guys like to have a little taste now and again. :killingme

Last edited:

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
My horses get chigger bites on their legs and chest from tall grass so I keep the fields cut often. They are just as bad on people as they are on the horses. Keeping fly spray on them doesn't always protect them from chiggers. Bugs suck! (litteraly)

R

remaxrealtor

You are very welcome! My pleasure!
I hope you can find something that works for you.

The flys are absolutely insane this year.

:crazy:

I've noticed (literally) thousands of tiny fly-like creatures around the manure this year, which I haven't noticed in past years, or at least not so bad. I'm gonna give this vinegar thing a try, can't hurt!

Lou had some really nasty sore from bug bites the very beginning of spring, but they healed right up and now he's not getting them....but the ticks are BAD!!!!!

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
Thanks remax, I knew it had double letters, wasn't sure if it was the t or the l's. I will remember this the rest of my life.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
That's a great site you listed. I had to print all the "recipes" people posted. Been using a similar spray lately, but think I can change it up a bit with these listed.

There are also some recipes for horse treats as well as dog treats out there and if you add fresh garlic helps to reduce the flies as well as ticks. My daughter just made some treats for the dogs this weekend. I though she was cooking up some thing for us. Smelled so good. :drool:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I had seen this recently: Bug Off Garlic (Dog - Bug Off Garlic for Dogs - Springtime, Inc.)
It's a dried garlic powder you sprinkle in your horses' feed (and your dogs') to repel flies, ticks, mosquitoes, gnats...

I am sure that it works, but what I have found is if it is made specifically for dogs and horses, the cost usually reflects it.

Just like SAND CLEAR. you can buy the same stuff (same ingrediants) cheaper made for humans.

Brewers yeast also helps for dogs itchy coats, and to help repel fleas and ticks, not sure about horses, tho.

razzle1127

has anyone thought of using "fly predators" you get them monthly by mail and spread them around your manure piles and it eats the eggs of the fly. i hear they work wonders and they dont seem to be that expensive.

Wait4It..boom

you should do a search for the posts on Fly Predators. There are several peeps that use them. I started this year (after hearing others' results) and have noticed a huge difference. I even started late and the flies we were getting have vanished. I wondered if it was really the fly predators working, but went to another farm this weekend that doesn't use them and there were flies everywhere. Went back to my place, mucked stalls, and didn't have a single fly land on me while doing so.