Burden of Proof

This_person

I have seen the comment made a few times back and forth about who the burden of proof should lay on and I just wanted to put out my two cents.
You over-estimate the value of your opinion.
I don't believe that I have to prove the non-existence of God, any more than I need to prove the non-existence of Zeus or Santa Claus. Can theist prove God over any alternatives? Of course not, nobody can prove God exist, yet they will stand on there heads saying they're sure. The burden of proof is on the god believer to prove that God exist. It is not up to the Atheist to disprove what has never been established in the first place. So often, I am told, "You cannot prove that there is no God." This is backwards reasoning. Just like the idea that has been tossed around before, I am not obligated to disprove that a leprechaun is standing beside you. You must first prove to me that one is there. Otherwise, I am under no obligation to accept your leprechaun hypothesis. The default position would be "anti-leprechaunism." Is it possible that a leprechaun is next to you? Sure, but I have no reason to believe such a thing, and until I do, I will keep being an "anti-leprechaun!" The same applies to gods and goddesses of all varieties. On all counts, the theist fails to meet his burden of proof and therefore, atheism stands by default.
I'll offer you more than your opinion is worth (the whole $0.02) to explain how you can "prove" something which requires faith.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
You over-estimate the value of your opinion.I'll offer you more than your opinion is worth (the whole $0.02) to explain how you can "prove" something which requires faith.

AGAIN - not up to me to prove anything. Up to those who believe in the tall tales that God put in the Holy Book to prove this unknowable being. No worries though, guess I'll never get the answers any of us want. I have no choice but to continue on my lonely road searching out the truth in philosophical naturalism.

This_person

AGAIN - not up to me to prove anything. Up to those who believe in the tall tales that God put in the Holy Book to prove this unknowable being. No worries though, guess I'll never get the answers any of us want. I have no choice but to continue on my lonely road searching out the truth in philosophical naturalism.

Here's a shocking piece of news - you missed the question entirely. I didn't ask you to prove anything. I asked you how someone can prove something that requires faith. Your statement was that "the theist fails to meet his burden of proof and therefore, atheism stands by default." Since what the theist has does not require (in fact, requires no) proof, why would your statement have any standing?

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
Here's a shocking piece of news - you missed the question entirely. I didn't ask you to prove anything. I asked you how someone can prove something that requires faith. Your statement was that "the theist fails to meet his burden of proof and therefore, atheism stands by default." Since what the theist has does not require (in fact, requires no) proof, why would your statement have any standing?

Here's another shocking piece of news - you missed an important part of what I originally said entirely. "Of course not, nobody can prove God exist, yet they will stand on there heads saying they're sure." So go ask the apologetics why they believe in the hidden giant. :yay:

This_person

Here's another shocking piece of news - you missed an important part of what I originally said entirely. "Of course not, nobody can prove God exist, yet they will stand on there heads saying they're sure." So go ask the apologetics why they believe in the hidden giant. :yay:

I know why I believe. You said "no proof, therefore atheists win by default". You are simply wrong. There is no reason for proof, so why ask for it, or use it as a default position?

Zguy28

I only have to see one piece of evidence to know that God exists.

The atheist however does not have this advantage. They must examine every atom of time and space to know He doesn't exist, which is impossible unless you are God Himself, at which you know better than to pursue such foolishness as atheism.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
I know why I believe. You said "no proof, therefore atheists win by default". You are simply wrong. There is no reason for proof, so why ask for it, or use it as a default position?

It is the default position because everyone, you included, is born an Atheist - babies do not believe in God. Your religion often depends on your upbringing - if your parents are Southern Baptist, you also will probably be a Southern Baptist. If your parents are Muslims, then you will probably be one also. Which God do you believe in? I'm betting it's entirely dependent on geography. It's a bit of lottery, isn't it?

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
I only have to see one piece of evidence to know that God exists.

The atheist however does not have this advantage. They must examine every atom of time and space to know He doesn't exist, which is impossible unless you are God Himself, at which you know better than to pursue such foolishness as atheism.

Which advantage/evidence is this?

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
"Of course not, nobody can prove God exist, yet they will stand on there heads saying they're sure." So go ask the apologetics why they believe in the hidden giant. :yay:
And, if what you say is true, you should also agree that no one can prove He doesn't exist...
It's always better to err on the safe side 2L. If He doesn't exist, you're fine; but if He does....:yikes:
It is the default position because everyone, you included, is born an Atheist - babies do not believe in God. Your religion often depends on your upbringing - if your parents are Southern Baptist, you also will probably be a Southern Baptist. If your parents are Muslims, then you will probably be one also. Which God do you believe in? I'm betting it's entirely dependent on geography. It's a bit of lottery, isn't it?
That's a false statement right there 2L. You cannot say that a new born child is an atheist. If anything they're closer to Christian because they go right to Heaven if they happen to die before a certain age.

That second statement is partly true but not always...Many people change their religious affiliations later in life. Some for the good and some for the worse...

Last edited:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
It's always better to err on the safe side 2L. If He doesn't exist, you're fine; but if He does....
This argument makes me :lol: every time. :lol: (<-- See?)

So someone decides to believe in a god. What then? Why pick the same one you have, objectively speaking?

Doesn't god want true followers only? Believing in him to be "on the safe side" is not a true, loving reason; it's purely fear. If someone does base their faith on such a thing, won't god reject their plea for its superficiality?

You cannot say that a new born child is an atheist. If anything they're closer to Christian because they go right to Heaven if they happen to die before a certain age.
The logical extension of that is if an infant were raised to adulthood in some sort of cultural and informational vacuum, they would not only believe in a god, but the same one you do. Is that what you are implying?

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
So someone decides to believe in a god. What then? Why pick the same one you have, objectively speaking? Doesn't god want true followers only? Believing in him to be "on the safe side" is not a true, loving reason; it's purely fear. If someone does base their faith on such a thing, won't god reject their plea for its superficiality?
Are you kidding? "Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom". He will take them any way He can. He doesn't care how you come to Him as long as you do. Once you start seeing how good He is, you'll want to see more...He's addictive. :howdy:
hvp05 said:
The logical extension of that is if an infant were raised to adulthood in some sort of cultural and informational vacuum, they would not only believe in a god, but the same one you do. Is that what you are implying?
I never said that. I'm didn't assume they would live to adulthood, you did and that's a whole other scenario...

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Are you kidding? "Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom". He will take them any way He can. He doesn't care how you come to Him as long as you do. Once you start seeing how good He is, you'll want to see more...He's addictive.
Seems contradictory to me, but oh well.

I never said that. I'm didn't assume they would live to adulthood, you did and that's a whole other scenario...
That's why I asked you a question. :)whistle: :lmao:)

Considering that infants cannot coherently communicate with us to express their thoughts and feelings, we will never know what they "believe". It's a matter of faith. :pete:

Zguy28

Which advantage/evidence is this?
The advantage is only needing one piece of evidence, I don't have to look very far. The evidence is all around you, yet you choose to walk through life like a blind person.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.

If you claim their is no God, you better start looking, because there is a lot of time and space to examine in order to verify that He is not there.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
And, if what you say is true, you should also agree that no one can prove He doesn't exist...
It's always better to err on the safe side 2L. If He doesn't exist, you're fine; but if He does....:yikes:

:nono:

No IS, Pascal's Wager is completely selfish in its application when used by believers. I think I have mentioned this before, but you fail to apply the argument to yourself and your faith. What if you are worshiping the wrong God? The odds are to great to pick one God, so doesn't it make perfect sense then to stay neutral on the issue? Wagering on unknowns is bad enough - just ask anybody who lost their money gambling!

This_person

No. I believe very differently than my parents.

Doesn't really answer the question though. You suggest that proof is needed, and I suggest to you that proof is the exact opposite of faith. You stated that, without proof, atheism is therefore correct. That is as illogical as saying that they believe simply because they believe. There is no logic in either.

However, I've yet to see proof that there is no god of any kind. Once again, lack of proof of the alternative is not proof. There can be no proof of a negative, therefore, atheism is clearly wrong. (see how stupid blanket statement like that sound?)

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
No. I believe very differently than my parents.

Doesn't really answer the question though. You suggest that proof is needed, and I suggest to you that proof is the exact opposite of faith. You stated that, without proof, atheism is therefore correct. That is as illogical as saying that they believe simply because they believe. There is no logic in either.

However, I've yet to see proof that there is no god of any kind. Once again, lack of proof of the alternative is not proof. There can be no proof of a negative, therefore, atheism is clearly wrong. (see how stupid blanket statement like that sound?)

So my five year old still has faith that a large man in a red suit will land on his roof guiding his flying reindeer in six months. Should the whole world just belive that this will happen since he has a book in his room written by a man that said this is true?

Starman3000m

Telling the Truth

So my five year old still has faith that a large man in a red suit will land on his roof guiding his flying reindeer in six months. Should the whole world just belive that this will happen since he has a book in his room written by a man that said this is true?

This is a very good comment on the basis that most parents lead their children to believe in that "large man in a red suit..." when the parents know it isn't true. In other words, when parents perpetuate the false belief in a Santa Claus with flying reindeer there will come a time when the parents have to tell the child that this was a lie all along. The next thing growing children may wonder is what other lies have they been told by the parents whom they trusted.

In the case of the existence of a Supreme Creator God, There Is Only One Truth:

1.) God exists

2.) God does not exist

UNA

Wirelessly posted

Starman3000m said:

This is a very good comment on the basis that most parents lead their children to believe in that "large man in a red suit..." when the parents know it isn't true. In other words, when parents perpetuate the false belief in a Santa Claus with flying reindeer there will come a time when the parents have to tell the child that this was a lie all along. The next thing growing children may wonder is what other lies have they been told by the parents whom they trusted.

In the case of the existence of a Supreme Creator God, There Is Only One Truth:

1.) God exists

2.) God does not exist

Hmmmm, I never wondered "what else my parents lied to me about"...and I actually found out in a relatively traumatic way.

Are you saying parents shouldn't let their believe in Santa but should brainwash them about god?

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Seems contradictory to me, but oh well.
Considering that infants cannot coherently communicate with us to express their thoughts and feelings, we will never know what they "believe". It's a matter of faith. :pete:
What is contradictory? When I say it doesn't matter how they come to God, I mean it doesn't matter how they came to believe in God but they still have to come through Jesus...

As for the baby thing, it has nothing to do with them "coherently communicating with us". In God's eyes, they have no accountability for anything if they aren't old enough to be accountable. Accountability comes when a child is old enough to know right & wrong AND to make their own choice for or against God. Since a baby can't, he/she is not accountable and therefore goes to Heaven. One of the passages we use is that of David's 7 day old baby with Bathsheba. We know that David went to Heaven so note the last verse:

18 "On the seventh day the child died. David’s servants were afraid to tell him that the child was dead... How can we tell him the child is dead? He may do something desperate.

David noticed that his servants were whispering among themselves and he realized the child was dead. Is the child dead? he asked. Yes, they replied, he is dead...

David answered, While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, Who knows? The LORD may be gracious to me and let the child live.

But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.
(2 Samuel 12)
No IS, Pascal's Wager is completely selfish in its application when used by believers. I think I have mentioned this before, but you fail to apply the argument to yourself and your faith. What if you are worshiping the wrong God? The odds are to great to pick one God, so doesn't it make perfect sense then to stay neutral on the issue? Wagering on unknowns is bad enough - just ask anybody who lost their money gambling!
Nothing you've said here applies to me. Paschal has no bearing on this, nor do I worship the wrong god. The ones who need to worry are those who don't believe. The evidence is clear and should be heeded while there is still time...
Just for you 2L:

"Santa Clause was derived from the Dutch word Sinter Klaas which, in turn, was the name for a 4th century bishop from Turkey named Saint Nicholas. He was a man that regularly gave gifts to small children and was at the Council of Nicea in 325 A.D. where he supported the doctrine of the Trinity.

Until the 1800’s the image of St. Nicholas was a tall thin man wearing a bishop’s robe. Washington Irving offered a new image in 1809 that was expanded by Clement Clark Moore in his 1822 poem. Moore was a professor at the General Theological Seminary in NY.

On Christmas Eve 1822, Moore was helping Jan, his grounds keeper, shovel snow. Jan was a chubby man with a white beard, twinkling eyes and rosy cheeks. That night Jan was driving Moore to the market to get a turkey and Moore got an idea. As the snow fell, Moore composed a poem. Later, one of his kids took it to school and read it to the class. The teacher was impressed by it and took it to the local newspaper (Troy Sentinel) that published it anonymously on December 23, 1823. It is believed that the red suit came from a German artist because the bishop’s robe was red". (From the Christian Research Institute).