Business Corruption and Malfeasance

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Now fast-forward by a couple of days to when KTBC showed up at Payne’s job to interview him about the Monday night event.

As the station was speaking to Payne, his boss showed up and started causing a ruckus by berating him.

“We have a policy that you’re not supposed to do any interviews in your uniform,” she complained. “If you want to do this as a private citizen, you can.”

Payne attempted to explain the situation, but his boss remained argumentative, so he eventually complied with her request and removed his uniform. He then asked her point blank if it was his fault that two suspects had broken into the garage, tried to steal his car, and assaulted him.

Stunningly, she said, “I would say yes, every bit of it.”

And that was the final straw for Payne.

“The fact that my supervisor basically told me it was my fault that I got assaulted, that let me know all that I needed to know,” he said.

Contacted later by the station, a rep for Priebe Security said, “We’re in the process of gathering details. We have been made aware of it and are looking into the situation.”

Sure at face value, the supervisor is not wrong, had the guy stayed at his desk he would not have been assaulted, but there is a bit more going on here .... not letting two trespassers alone in the parking garage

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Intel is laying off over 15,000 employees and will stop ‘non-essential work’

Intel’s on a long, long road to recovery, and over 15,000 workers will no longer be coming along for the ride. The chipmaker just announced it’s downsizing its workforce by over 15 percent as part of a new $10 billion cost savings plan for 2025, which will mean a headcount reduction of greater than 15,000 roles, Intel tells The Verge. The company currently employs over 125,000 workers, so layoffs could be as many as 19,000 people.

Intel will reduce its R&D and marketing spend by billions each year through 2026; it will reduce capital expenditures by more than 20 percent this year; it will restructure to “stop non-essential work,” and it’ll review “all active projects and equipment” to make sure it’s not spending too much.

“This is painful news for me to share. I know it will be even more difficult for you to read,” reads part of a memo from Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger to staff, which you can also read in full at the bottom of this post.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Judge finds Google maintains illegal monopoly over online search

A federal judge ruled Monday that Google maintains a monopoly over online search and advertising in violation of antitrust law in a landmark decision.

“After having carefully considered and weighed the witness testimony and evidence, the court reaches the following conclusion: Google is a monopolist, and it has acted as one to maintain its monopoly,” the opinion from U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta reads.

The ruling largely sides with the Justice Department and the coalition of state attorneys general who sued Google in 2020, finding that the tech giant has monopoly power in general search services and general search text ads.

Mehta found that Google unlawfully maintains its monopoly in these two markets through exclusive agreements with partners, like Apple, that ensure it is the default search engine on their devices.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
🔥🔥 In more terrific legal news, the Associated Press reported the shocking news yesterday that “Google illegally maintains monopoly over internet search, judge rules.” You don’t say.

image 13.png

The decision capped a years-old lawsuit filed by President Trump’s DOJ. In what AP called a “setback” for Google, Federal Judge Amit Mehta entered a whopping two hundred and seventy-five page ruling, longer than a normal novel, finding that Google has illegally monopolized search. Among many other things, Judge Mehta noted that Google spends almost $30 billion dollars a year to ensure its service is set as the default on nearly every device in the world.

“After having carefully considered and weighed the witness testimony and evidence, the court reaches the following conclusion: Google is a monopolist, and it has acted as one to maintain its monopoly,” Judge Mehta wrote. Google “enjoys an 89.2% share of the market for general search services, which increases to 94.9% on mobile devices,” the ruling explained.

The order didn’t prescribe what happens next, such as whether Google should be broken up. (Yes, please.) But the court scheduled a follow-up hearing on September 6th to discuss the remedy. Google has vowed to appeal, a process that could tie things up for years.

But even better, commenters expect a whole new crop of class-action lawsuits citing the judge’s findings, arguing that advertisers were gouged by Google’s monopolistic pricing.

One wonders. Had Google not abandoned its original motto of “Don’t Be Evil,” might it have avoided the DOJ’s crosshairs? Once again, we see the example of a big corporation that decides to dabble in politics and then discovers what happens next. (Ahem, Disney.)

As a libertarian-minded conservative, I generally object to government meddling in markets. But there is a place for anti-trust laws, and I can’t think of a more deserving target of scrutiny than this particular search giant. Thus, it’s progress.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Ford Says its ‘Speed Reporting’ Patent is for Law Enforcement Vehicles Only​

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Dell starts new round of layoffs while it looks to unlock modern AI

In the memo, president of global sales and customer operations Bill Scannell and global channels president John Byrne used the term "streamlining layers of management."

According to Scannell and Byrne, Dell aims to grow faster than the market by unlocking "the value of modern IT and AI" for customer organizations.

Implied was that they would be doing this without the help of an undisclosed number of newly former employees. That number has been guesstimated at around ten percent of the workforce – about 12,500 people – as part of an effort to get the overall workforce from 120,000 to below 100,000.

It is unknown if this round of cuts met that target, or if further firings will follow – particularly as many suspicious 1:1 meetings scheduled for Tuesday were allegedly moved.

As one employee put it: "There are only so many HR reps to go around." A prophetic musing, as Dell's Human Resources department was allegedly too swamped to even show up for some terminations – leaving the job instead to line managers.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

DOJ Moves To BREAK UP GOOGLE, Google Ruled ILLEGAL MONOPOLY, This Will ROCK Political Landscape​