buying a used boat and trailer

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I have looked over the MVA website and I want to make sure I understand it correctly. MVA says trailers are treated like class A vehicles so inspection of said trailer is needed. Right? Buying a used boat (23ft for waterfowl) with trailer, trailer has no title, can you buy said boat & trailer then go to MVA (with proof of sale) and say trailer title was lost and the buyer can get one? Or does the seller have to do that first? Just making sure the boat is worth the money that needs to be spent after purchase. Also, do you pay tax on just the trailer since only that needs tags? Would purchaser need to list price separately on bill of sale? TIA.

Last edited:
I have looked over the MVA website and I want to make sure I understand it correctly. MVA says trailers are treated like class A vehicles so inspection of said trailer is needed. Right? Buying a used boat (23ft for waterfowl) with trailer, trailer has no title, can you buy said boat & trailer then go to MVA (with proof of sale) and say trailer title was lost and the buyer can get one? Or does the seller have to do that first? Just making sure the boat is worth the money that needs to be spent after purchase. Also, do you pay tax on just the trailer since only that needs tags? Would purchaser need to list price separately on bill of sale? TIA.

If the person you are buying it from did have a title at one time, it's far easier for him to request a duplicate title than it is for you to prove it's yours after the fact. Once the title is signed over, you can re-title and register.

If he can't get a dup title or doesn't have a registration for it, I would question it. Don't buy until you're satisfied.

You'll pay tax on both the trailer and the boat. Trailer gets registered thru MVA, boat thru DNR.

bcp

In My Opinion
Take all Serial numbers and any manufacturer ID off of the trailer, paint it to make it look new.
put a new ID plate on it, take down for inspection as a home made trailer.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
It's in Baltimore, so I'm assuming we'll have to go to the closest MVA there and get the tags before we drive it home. I never realized DNR charges a tax on the boat plus the stickers. Learn something new everyday.

It's in Baltimore, so I'm assuming we'll have to go to the closest MVA there and get the tags before we drive it home. I never realized DNR charges a tax on the boat plus the stickers. Learn something new everyday.

Have to have the trailer inspected before you can get tags. I forget how it works with a home-built.

Check out the DNR site regarding boat registrations and fees.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

:lol: You're in Maryland. The motto "The free state" only applies to illegal aliens. Everybody else has to pay to do anything and everything.

With title in hand you can get temp tags from MVA to get it to inspection

With title in hand you can get temp tags from MVA to get it to inspection

cant you still get a transfer tag to move it from point "A" to point "B"?

Back in '94 I had a trailer without tags on it in NY, wanted to get it down here. It was a vicious circle. MVA wouldn't give me tags without an MD inspection. Couldn't get it to MD without tags. They were very unwilling to work with me. FINALLY, one bright light said we could do a 'hold title'. I pay for tags and registration, but they won't give me a title until I get it inspected.

I said, "Why didn't you tell me that in the first place??" after almost an hour in MVA. got my tags, went to NY, brought the trailer down, inspected it and got my title.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Have to have the trailer inspected before you can get tags. I forget how it works with a home-built.

Check out the DNR site regarding boat registrations and fees.

I glanced through it while at work. I saw the 5% tax, i believe it said.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Was your tags that much because your trailer weighed a lot? The boat is 23 ft. Not sure how long the trailer is.

Gross Weight on my trailer is 7,000lb. Maryland bases it on gross weight. Since your boat is 2 feet longer than mine, I would guess the trailer is probably in the 7-10,000lb. range and would have similar registration costs to mine.

Sparx

Take all Serial numbers and any manufacturer ID off of the trailer, paint it to make it look new.
put a new ID plate on it, take down for inspection as a home made trailer.

Do not do this. :yeahthat:
An inspector can require you to prove where all the material for a home made trailer came from if he suspects this is your game.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Forget registering the trailer in Maryland. I have a 21' boat on a trailer and MVA wanted $160/2 years for tags. I have the trailer registered in Maine now, $90/5 years. Can be done over the phone or online!

Trailer Registrations for Individuals and Fleets Countrywide - MaineTrailerRegistrations.com

Maine is the the "go to place" for titling about anything. The company I had to pay to get a title for an antique car project was in Maine..because apparently that's where all that action is.