Bye bye ethanol?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So where can a guy find some unmolested gasoline around here? I noticed there aren't any on the pure-gas list.

Ethanol-free gas stations in MD

In the first place, its mainly marinas that carry it; the damage ethanol in fuel has caused - continues to cause - the marine industry is huge and marinas got to great lengths to find and stock ethanol-free fuel.

Unfortunately, during the winter season, ethanol-free fuel is practically non-existent/unavailable because of the "winter blending" and so even the marinas cannot get it. Texaco even has an ethanol-free fuel they have labeled "marine blend" or something like that but as far as I know, nobody around here carrries it during the winter months.

All that said..if its for a vehicle you are looking for...good luck with that.

E

EmptyTimCup

Unfortunately, during the winter season, ethanol-free fuel is practically non-existent/unavailable because of the "winter blending" and so even the marinas cannot get it.

I always lose 2-5 mpg in the winter ....... now it is permanent

how is my using MORE Fuel GREEN :whistle:

Liberty Fuel Front Royal

looks like several in Harrisonburg are also on the list ....... places Like Southern States

Last edited by a moderator:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I've spent the last 2 days draining the gas & oil from my 5 yard machines and it's never fun. I started using "Sea Foam" in the gas this week because a trusted mechanic friend of mine recommended it. Hopefully it will clear out or reduce the harmful effects of ethanol.

I've heard that higher grades of gas lessen the effects of ethanol. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, does anyone know if I need to drain my 2 cycle engines too, since they use the same gas blend?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I've spent the last 2 days draining the gas & oil from my 5 yard machines and it's never fun. I started using "Sea Foam" in the gas this week because a trusted mechanic friend of mine recommended it. Hopefully it will clear out or reduce the harmful effects of ethanol.

I've heard that higher grades of gas lessen the effects of ethanol. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, does anyone know if I need to drain my 2 cycle engines too, since they use the same gas blend?

I always use high test on 'yard' machines including the dirt bikes, both 2 and 4 stroke. I started the snow blower two weeks ago to move it having not been started all of last year. Fired up on the second pull. But, I have no idea how much corn is in my gas so, maybe high test is protecting my stuff???

I used to have problems with carbs gumming up and parts prematurely failing. Started using Stabil in all my gas, haven't had a problem since. I also turn off the fuel supply and let the engine run until there's no more fuel in the carb on any device I can.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!

I am uncertain if there is any hard data that would suggest that a higher octane value will lessen the effects of ethanol. I can speak of personal experience that my Echo CS680 burned up on its first use and it was running 93 octane with its 50:1 oil mix. Echo recommends 89 octane in its blend.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I used to have problems with carbs gumming up and parts prematurely failing. Started using Stabil in all my gas, haven't had a problem since. I also turn off the fuel supply and let the engine run until there's no more fuel in the carb on any device I can.

All good things to do; Stabil and a couple other additive companies now sell products specifically designed to try and mitigate the harmfull effects of ethanol-blend fuels. The products are pricey though.

I cannot imagine why higher octane fuels would behave any differently than lower octane fuels as far as how the ethanol behaves in situ.

E

EmptyTimCup

I also turn off the fuel supply and let the engine run until there's no more fuel in the carb on any device I can.

I did this to both Genny's when the lights came back on .....

DEEKAYPEE8569

I can speak of personal experience that my Echo CS680 burned up on its first use and it was running 93 octane with its 50:1 oil mix. Echo recommends 89 octane in its blend.

Most car manufacturers recommend folks use a fuel grade of 87 octane or higher. 87 is the lowest rating; of course I could be mistaken. So, most new cars run just fine on the "'cheap' stuff," which suits most people just fine, from the out-of-pocket expense standpoint. Dad had a '06; I think it was Pontiac GTP.....supercharged V-6; AWESOME car to drive; but it required "high test." So, it didn't get driven too much.