Bye George!

BlackSheep

Local TV sports legend George Michael signs off Thursday night after 27 years. Michael's last broadcast on Channel 4 will be on the station's 11 p.m. newscast.
The station's sports director and weeknight sports anchor opted to retire after NBC, which owns WRC TV, announced significant layoffs and staff cuts.
The last segment of "Sports Machine," the syndicated sports highlights show that Michael hosts, airs March 25. "Sports Machine" set the stage for other national sports programming when it started in 1984.

Thanks for the memories George! :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
:frown: Wow, I never thought I'd see the day. George Michael is a favorite I grew up with.

Happy trails George! :cheers:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
jazz lady said:
:frown: Wow, I never thought I'd see the day. George Michael is a favorite I grew up with.

Happy trails George! :cheers:
The Sports Machine was on Sunday nights on AFN.. Used to watch it every Sunday while I was stationed in Germany. Imagine my surprise when I moved here and there he was, on my local news!!

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
He will be sorely missed. I can't believe they aren't giving him a big send off show or something. He was on DC101 last week and sounds a little disgruntled at how they are just blowing him off. I hope he gets the last laugh. I'll be watching tonight.

D

dems4me

BlackSheep said:
Local TV sports legend George Michael signs off Thursday night after 27 years. Michael's last broadcast on Channel 4 will be on the station's 11 p.m. newscast.
The station's sports director and weeknight sports anchor opted to retire after NBC, which owns WRC TV, announced significant layoffs and staff cuts.
The last segment of "Sports Machine," the syndicated sports highlights show that Michael hosts, airs March 25. "Sports Machine" set the stage for other national sports programming when it started in 1984.

Thanks for the memories George! :yay:

Gracious, I'd heard about this about 4 months ago... I personally didn't like him much but did think it was nice of him to step down for the layoffs. :clap:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
nachomama said:
He will be sorely missed. I can't believe they aren't giving him a big send off show or something. He was on DC101 last week and sounds a little disgruntled at how they are just blowing him off. I hope he gets the last laugh. I'll be watching tonight.
I thought I read that they will still be doing the Sports Machine, that he is just signing off of the local newscast.. I'm sure CHannel 4 rakes in the bucks off of the syndication of the Sports Machine.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
itsbob said:
I thought I read that they will still be doing the Sports Machine, that he is just signing off of the local newscast.. I'm sure CHannel 4 rakes in the bucks off of the syndication of the Sports Machine.

I thought I had heard that too, but he said something last week about the last Syndicated show was scheduled to air March 25. :shrug:

AndyMarquisLIVE

nachomama said:
I thought I had heard that too, but he said something last week about the last Syndicated show was scheduled to air March 25. :shrug:
Who's replacing George? I know NBC4 has Lindsay Czarniak but she's with SPEED Channel and TNT Sports.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
George annouced it a couple of months ago.
He said he will still be doing Sports Machine, Full Court Press etc.....

AndyMarquisLIVE

NBC's letting too much good talent slip away these days. Gregg Jarrett, Rick Sanchez and Jessica Yellin were all great when they were with MSNBC and NBC News, NBC just let them go...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Think about the work...

...people like Michaels put in.

All the TV appearances, all the work relating to and getting ready for his shows. The consistency, the attention to detail.

Maybe people like him are nut jobs in private, but that kind of dedication and plain old work over such a long time always impresses me.

OldHillcrestGuy

He was by far the best sports announcer the DC area had, always loved to watch him and Jim Vance and Doreen having such a good time doing the news.
I stayed up just to watch the 11'o news last night, real classy guy, leaving so that other younger people would not get layed off.
NBC is really going to miss him, they have given alot of the people pink slips lately, Arch Campbell, I.J Hudson and Susan Kidd to name a few I can remember.
Hope he resurfaces shortly with another network, article says he is negotiating with MASN.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
OldHillcrestGuy said:
He was by far the best sports announcer the DC area had, always loved to watch him and Jim Vance and Doreen having such a good time doing the news.
I stayed up just to watch the 11'o news last night, real classy guy, leaving so that other younger people would not get layed off.
NBC is really going to miss him, they have given alot of the people pink slips lately, Arch Campbell, I.J Hudson and Susan Kidd to name a few I can remember.
Hope he resurfaces shortly with another network, article says he is negotiating with MASN.

I stayed up too. :yawn: I've always watched Channel 4, especially since Glen Brenner's death. I think they're going to lose a lot of viewers with the departures of all the good guys.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
I stayed up too. :yawn: I've always watched Channel 4, especially since Glen Brenner's death. I think they're going to lose a lot of viewers with the departures of all the good guys.

:yeahthat: I watched his final spot and :bawl: my eyes out. I have watched these guys since the beginning and it's a damned shame to lose such talent.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
jazz lady said:
:yeahthat: I watched his final spot and :bawl: my eyes out. I have watched these guys since the beginning and it's a damned shame to lose such talent.

Yep...although I laughed my butt off when George admitted he'd always had the hots for Doreen. :lmao:

Homer J

Power Chord
He was on the Don & Mike radio show yesterday. Said NBC 4 wanted him to cut his staff by 50% including his wife, who worked for him. They even offered him a pay raise out of the money save with the staff cut. He told them to pack sand.

Good for you George.

mainman

Set Trippin
cattitude said:
Yep...although I laughed my butt off when George admitted he'd always had the hots for Doreen. :lmao:
Many many moons ago I used to think Wendy Reiger was cute....(I believe I was a teen at the time :lmao:)

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
Yep...although I laughed my butt off when George admitted he had the hots for Doreen. :lmao:

I know. I was laughing through the tears. I've never seen her so flustered. :lmao:

When they showed the old clips with them, I was :yikes: and :lol: at the hairstyles, especially Doreen. Plus George had HAIR then. I loved the spot of him getting dumped in the pool. Ah, a lot of great memories with that crew. :cheers:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
jazz lady said:
I know. I was laughing through the tears. I've never seen her so flustered. :lmao:

When they showed the old clips with them, I was :yikes: and :lol: at the hairstyles, especially Doreen. Plus George had HAIR then. I loved the spot of him getting dumped in the pool. Ah, a lot of great memories with that crew. :cheers:

Yeah, she had some hairdo, didn't she? :lol: You know, I have pictures of George and Jim at the Redskins Superbowl parade in 1988. He had a ton of hair then, I'll have to look at them again.