C/MV-22 Osprey Issues

glhs837

Power with Control
You need to compare flight hour rate to crashes to see where you end up. Comparing this things rate to fixed wing aircraft is not a valid comparison.

stgislander

PREMO Member
You need to compare flight hour rate to crashes to see where you end up. Comparing this things rate to fixed wing aircraft is not a valid comparison.
It just seems like every 8-12 months another one is crashing taking a bunch of people with it. I know I wouldn't fly in one.

somdwatch

When they were in early testing most of the Navy enlisted HELO A/C at the time said we'd never fly in it.

3CATSAILOR

With the latest CV-22 Osprey crash in Japan resulting in the deaths of eight, is it time to consider declaring the idea a failure and going back to helicopters?

A good friend of mine was a USMC O4. He had a beautiful wife and two daughters. He died flying an Osprey with a aircraft load of Marines on board that went down with him. The report was that turbulence brought it down. I knew several of the people that were working on the design/engineering of it at Pax. They knew the Osprey has issues before the first one was even cleared to fly. The DoD pushed it through anyhow. Its initial problem was it was too heavy. Therefore, they got rid of a lot of protective parts of the aircraft to lighten it up. I told the Major that it was a dangerous aircraft from the beginning. But, he was a Marine following orders. "A person who followed orders to his death".

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Seems they ignored the results of the XC-142 trials in 1964.
1702338209295.png

3CATSAILOR

With the latest CV-22 Osprey crash in Japan resulting in the deaths of eight, is it time to consider declaring the idea a failure and going back to helicopters?

I agree. But, millions are invested in to it and a lot of high paying jobs. Military will risk killing more just to keep the status quo. They will ground aircraft for a period of time until they think it blows over. Then they will let them fly until the next crash. Then groiund again. Wash their hands of it. Then fly. Then ground again. Then wash, rinse, repeat. Wash rinse repeat. Etc. Years ago, a friend of mine was flying one with 19 Marines on board. They all died. I know quite a bit about the aircraft and the politics that go with it. Too much to mention here.

Bare-ya-cuda

I agree. But, millions are invested in to it and a lot of high paying jobs. Military will risk killing more just to keep the status quo. They will ground aircraft for a period of time until they think it blows over. Then they will let them fly until the next crash. Then groiund again. Wash their hands of it. Then fly. Then ground again. Then wash, rinse, repeat. Wash rinse repeat. Etc. Years ago, a friend of mine was flying one with 19 Marines on board. They all died. I know quite a bit about the aircraft and the politics that go with it. Too much to mention here.
The H-53 has killed more sailors and marines in its service life than all other navy and marine corp aircraft combined.

WingsOfGold

They blew it, should cut bait and build more C-2's IMO or something else. Proven airframe but not multi mission like the widow maker.
Too many moving parts make Johnny a killer. I can't imagine that pos on single engine.

3CATSAILOR

They blew it, should cut bait and build more C-2's IMO or something else. Proven airframe but not multi mission like the widow maker.
Too many moving parts make Johnny a killer. I can't imagine that pos on single engine.
The old saying is the more moving parts, the more that can go wrong.