Cable Company

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
No questions asked.....?

Originally posted by alex
We had GMP Digital and the reception was pretty bad.

The people at DirecTV are such a pleasure to deal with.

GMP never even wanted to know why we were canceling their service.

:rolleyes: Kinda gives new meaning to the phrase "Your satisfactory is guarranteed, or your money back - no questions asked", I would have to say.

:biggrin: Maybe they were tired of hearing the rude remarks on the other end of the phone!
penn

SmallTown

Football season!
Yea, same for me. When I took the digital tuner back and cancelled service, I gave them the box and said it was completely useless. They never said a word to me.

demsformd

My problem with GMP is their lacking cable modems for internet hook-ups. I think that it is out every like two days...and I pay $40 for this stuff. It is absolutely awful!!

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by demsformd
My problem with GMP is their lacking cable modems for internet hook-ups. I think that it is out every like two days...and I pay $40 for this stuff. It is absolutely awful!!

Why rent modems from GMP? Just go to Staples and buy your own. Staples has a $99 cable modem, and also Circuit City has the same Motorola Surfboard that GMP uses for $99. (If you're on 1-way cable, you're stuck with their rented modem.) I've even seen the Docsis standard cable modems on eBay for $26.

As far as the cable company and satellite, DirecTV has been great since 1995, and my cable modem service has been great for over 18 months. If you have DirecTV, get an UltimateTV receiver and service! Then you can watch TV when it's convenient for you!

sarahrose

I have to say I have never had so many problems with cable until lately. Everyone must have noticed that channel 4 and 11 is way off sync. It has gotten so bad lately I can't even watch my favorite shows. I have a son who would like to watch Disney but can't because it got moved to channel 48 and is so fuzzy that I don't want his eyes to go bad. I live in Ridge and the channel come in so bad it hurts your eyes. Why do they charge so much for awful channels. Also we would like to get internet over the cable but it stops at the Ridge Firehouse. Just because we live down here doesn't mean we deserve to be neglected. Most of the popular channels are so bad it a waste of money. Who knows the channel HGTV? It is a design channel but it comes in so bad you can't tell what it is supposed to look like. What a shame. For a company that rips its customers off with outragious prices they could do a little better. I am so frustrated.:boo:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I have plain old cable for under $30 bucks and all my channels, including disney, hgtv, 4, 14, and 11 all come in crystal clear. I had a problem once when the history channel went out and was told they were working on the problem etc and when it would be back on and if I had any more problems to call back. Haven't had to. I get my internet from a local service provider and have had no problem with them either and they cost me under $10 a month and I can access them from work too. Sooo, maybe ya'll are trying to be too hi-tech, thereby paying too much for a service that doesn't have all the bugs worked out yet. JMO -
However I am curious if I can get comcast in great mills, had them before when I lived farther south and I tend to be brand loyal.

bbubblyb

No one has mentioned Dish Network but it is also very good and we got the new PVR receiver at christmas and it's just a whole new watching experience for us with being able to record so much.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by baily1122
Truthfull what would it cost about a month for direct tv, with say local programing, hbo, and showtime???
:cool: I have the regular package for 29.99, 7 channels of HBO for 12.00, and the local channels, 10, I think, for 5.99, and it all comes
to 49.00, and change.

I think the Showtime package is also 12.00 as well, but I don't have it.

penn

baily1122

another question............... We have 8 tvs in our house (too many I know, but we have 5 kids!) that is why cost is a real factor with us; does it cost more with every tv, and does everyone have to watch the same thing? Thanks!! :)

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Additional Recievers

Originally posted by bluto
Cost of a receiver for each TV, I think they max out at six, and I think it is $5 extra for each additional active receiver. If you are running that many tvs stick with the cable.
:cool: I was on line with DIRECTV.com just now, and you can purchase addtional recs. for 99.00 each from DIRECTV, or at your nearest Wal*Mart. Prices are probably comparable.

The bottom line is that if you want a different channel for however many TVs you hook up to it, you need a separate reciever for each TV.

I didn't see it on the site, but the 5.00 per reciever is most likely an additional charge for each unit programming.

As bluto said, your best chioce may be the cable system; suffice it to say I wasn't very happy with the local cable options around here, and that's why I have DIRECTV.
penn

demsformd

Ok add this problem to GMP's growing list. Every time that it snows...my cable modem goes out of service. What kind of bullcrap is that? I dunno...I think that the county government should explore other alternatives to this cable company.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by demsformd
Ok add this problem to GMP's growing list. Every time that it snows...my cable modem goes out of service. What kind of bullcrap is that? I dunno...I think that the county government should explore other alternatives to this cable company.
:frown: I don't know dems; this problem has been going on for 12 to 14 years that I'm aware of.

Either they're in the county government's backpocket, or the CG is turning a blind eye to the cable company's shortcomings.

I've said it before, but that's why so many people have turned in their cable gear and gone the sattelite route.
penn

alex

The CG justed renewed GMP's contract for another 15 years!!!!

As for the multiple tv thing it is about $5 per active receiver. However, I have heard of units (I don't know where you purchase them or what they run) that allow you to broadcast your satellite to other tvs in house. The downside is the additional tv can only get the channel currently being viewed by the TV with the satellite receiver.

With Directv your premium packages go down the more you have. I.e., HBO package might be $12 per month but if then add the Showtime package that might cost you $10 since you already have HBO.

Even with all the sleet this weekend our Directv was great. I am so glad we dumped cable.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by jazz lady
:yay: Amen to that! It never went out ONCE! :yay:
:smile: Ditto on this end too!

One more thing out there sattelite users: when you tune the dish for reception, (you know the strength meter- 0 to 100%), get it as high as you can. That reduces freezes and drop outs to a minimum.

penn