• Dish

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
Well, from a purely physical perspective, I have a "small window" between the trees that can be aimed at or through; so that shouldn't be a problem.
This can be more of a problem than you think. If you're expecting to go HD, the dish would need to "see" a fairly wide arc to the South-southwest. There are 5 satellite locations between 99º WL and 119º WL. You need to have a clear line of sight to all that area plus a degree or two on either side. If you're only interested in SD, then you would only need to "see" the main satellite at 101º WL.

But that "auto pay" thing.....is that required in order to subscribe?
No, but you won't get the HD(if you want HD) fee waived without it.

Last edited:

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
I would jump to Cable regardless of the satisfaction providing you could get High Speed Internet. DishNetwork and DirecTV do not support High Speed Internet - period! I live on a farm - have crappy phone service (fads, static, etc.) for over 5 years now. Verizon knows that have a monopoly going and could care less about my problems. They acknowledge the noise is coming from their lines (not my house) and never do anything about it because they would no doubt have to run another line about a mile or so. There is simply nothing I can do but suck it up and live with it - and Verizon knows this. If I had Cable InterNet - the first thing I would do is tell Verizon to shove it!:killingme

DEEKAYPEE8569

I've been there, done that with all 3. Comcast is expensive and doesn't have as much to offer, with some problems with snowy channels from time to time. Customer service however is good with Comcast. DirectTV has a wide range of clear channels. But, customer service is piss more with DirectTV. I then gave up on DirectTV for that reason. Went to Dish. Same if not better selection for cheaper price at the time, although all of them are not about the same. However, customer service tops DirectTV every time. The only draw back with DirectTV or Dish is the signal may go out, depending upon heavy cloud cover or rain. It has to be heavy, with thick clouds. Moderate overcast will not do it. Also, DirectTV and Dish do not provide as good local weather, although Dish and DirectTV are attempting to get better in this area. They still have a way to go.

Almost sound like you're saying none of them are worth a cuss.

As far as the local news & weather.....I can look up the D.C. news channels' websites online for that kinda stuff.

I just was just wondering if I still have to bow to the monopoly held by METROCAST even if I didn't want more than expanded basic.
Maybe I'll check out Dish Network a little more. :shrug:

Ancient One

Had to take cable

:ohwell:

Work from home 3 days per week. Need cable for computer set up. Dish / Direct TV use satelite. Long delays and lost data the norm for computer use.

Loved my "DISH". Had to let it go so I could work from home. Now looking size up costs using cable just for computer and DISH for TV. Will let you know how it works out. Initial look, not good.

Mongo53

They make a heating element that you can install on your Dish to melt away snow and ice, something to consider.

COMCAST just completed their Digital Transition in my area of Calvert County, which then they locked their cable service into a proprietary system that can only be accessed by COMCAST's proprietary equipment. Local Channels have to remain unencrypted, by law, so the only thing my recording equipment and digital TV's could tune/record was local channels. The STB's COMCAST provided are horrible, I had to figure out myself, contrary to all the advertising, as an existing customer I did NOT get on demand automatically, even though I payed the same rate, I had to call COMCAST and have my package changed to get On Demand. Then my COMCAST supplied STB failed when attempting On Demand and I had to drive to prince federick to trade it in for a new one. I had to get extra DTA's to try to get my recorders working, stood in line behind people trading in their COMCAST's DVR, complaining this was their 3rd DVR and it still doesn't work. COMCAST equipment was extremely difficult to set up with 3rd party recording equipment, needing IR Blasters and then half the time the wrong channel was recorded. The guides and channels on the STB's are NOT editable, you have to sort through hundreds of channels and PPV trying to figure out what channels you do receive. You go to COMCAST's website to download channel guides to get around their unworkable channel lists and guides in the STB's and they do NOT have any for the packages that COMCAST offers, choose a guide that sounds close to your package and its less than %50 accurate. I made up my own guide and e-mailed it to COMCAST and they still haven't updated their guides. To get your service working like it used to, for many people, you had to rent additional equipment at outrageous rates.

If you don't think the rental rates are outrageous, think about it for a minute, don't dismiss it like, well its only an extra $2 a month, OR I get a DVR for just $16 a month. Those little DTA's COMCAST rents, only cost $30, probably less since COMCAST buys them in bulk, a DVR at $16/mo is $192 a year. In 18 months you would pay more in rental fees than it would cost to buy a brand new consumer model of this equipment, but COMCAST rents you a refurbished model that is far older and less capable and far more likely to fail or have problems.

Thats only a small list of how awfully COMCAST has implemented their digital transition, in short, COMCAST changed their service into poor 20 year old Satellite Service over Cable. I had it and canceled COMCAST TV, had Dish Network installed and I am so much happier, it is better than COMCAST's service in every way. Better equipment, better guides and channel lineups, more HD, it costs less for comparable service, etc...

Of course COMCAST jacked up the price of cable modem service by %33 when I canceled TV. Anyone know who I write a letter to, that can effect the franchising for Calvert County?? The Board of Commissioners? I should have a choice in service and NOT be forced to go to one company for internet service, open the franchise to Verizon FIOS or any other internet service.