Calling all you scholarly people....

onebdzee

off the shelf
I have a written assignment due tomorrow night and am so freaking tired of trying to find information on this....if you can make heads or tails of what the meaning of this is and/or where to find the information I need to write this paper, could you help me out?....I'm about googled out on this one....the only thing me and KC keep coming up with is classes at different colleges

This is the assignment:

Engage in some Internet-based research on the relationships between the technical, production aspects of film and television. Address the following questions in a short paper:

a. What specific visual film techniques do you see utilized in contemporary television?

b. What specific television visual techniques do you see utilized in contemporary films?

c. In what ways have film and television influenced each other during their shared history?

Helpful Topics to Research:

§ The historical development of television and its relationship to the film industry.
§ Contemporary visual techniques utilized in television production and film making.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Good Lord! I have no clue what any of that means. Not that I'm trying to understand it....I'm just glad I DON'T have to understand it. :lol:

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
I have a written assignment due tomorrow night and am so freaking tired of trying to find information on this....if you can make heads or tails of what the meaning of this is and/or where to find the information I need to write this paper, could you help me out?....I'm about googled out on this one....the only thing me and KC keep coming up with is classes at different colleges

This is the assignment:

Engage in some Internet-based research on the relationships between the technical, production aspects of film and television. Address the following questions in a short paper:

a. What specific visual film techniques do you see utilized in contemporary television?

b. What specific television visual techniques do you see utilized in contemporary films?

c. In what ways have film and television influenced each other during their shared history?

§ The historical development of television and its relationship to the film industry.
§ Contemporary visual techniques utilized in television production and film making.

My paper on that is in the shed. I got an "A" in that class. Do you have Wayne Karlin as your professor for this class?

onebdzee

off the shelf
My paper on that is in the shed. I got an "A" in that class. Do you have Wayne Karlin as your professor for this class?

Nope....I'm taking this class online

The teacher is a joke....If you don't e-mail him at least a week before the assignment is due, you won't ever hear from him

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
Nope....I'm taking this class online

The teacher is a joke....If you don't e-mail him at least a week before the assignment is due, you won't ever hear from him

I took that class online, well actually Telecourse (video tapes to take home and watch videos at home) back in 1998 (I think).

Are you saying you have Wayne Karlin? :confused:

bcp

In My Opinion
now, lets get this clear.
by contemporary television do you mean shows like American Idol, or maybe survivor or hells kitchen?
Does contemporary in this instance indicate a show that might have a wider viewing population? maybe even a show that might be just as interesting to people out of this country?

we first have to get this straight before we can pass it on to the scholr,,, shool,,, lerned peoples.

onebdzee

off the shelf
And I wants to know what she meant by that "people" comment.

Well, I didn't want to say "crazies"....that would not get me a good grade now would it?

I took that class online, well actually Telecourse (video tapes to take home and watch videos at home) back in 1998 (I think).

Are you saying you have Wayne Karlin? :confused:

No....I don't have him

Where did you find all your information for your paper?

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
Well, I didn't want to say "crazies"....that would not get me a good grade now would it?

No....I don't have him

Where did you find all your information for your paper?

I found the information in the textbooks, videos, googled on the internet, went to the library checking out books, etc. Have you done any of those?

My college stuff are in the shed.

onebdzee

off the shelf
now, lets get this clear.
by contemporary television do you mean shows like American Idol, or maybe survivor or hells kitchen?
Does contemporary in this instance indicate a show that might have a wider viewing population? maybe even a show that might be just as interesting to people out of this country?

we first have to get this straight before we can pass it on to the scholr,,, shool,,, lerned peoples.

Not a clue....and the "teacher" didn't answer my "can you effing clarify this effing assignment for me" e-mail that I sent him 5 days ago

onebdzee

off the shelf
I found the information in the textbooks, videos, googled on the internet, went to the library checking out books, etc. Have you done any of those?

Nothing in the textbook....I've googled every phrase and/or word(s) combination that I could think of....KC has done the same on some of the college boards that he is associated with

This has to be "internet based" research and we have to cite the source....so the library is out

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
Nothing in the textbook....I've googled every phrase and/or word(s) combination that I could think of....KC has done the same on some of the college boards that he is associated with

This has to be "internet based" research and we have to cite the source....so the library is out

Yikes! I feel your pains....

I hope someone can help you. I'm sorry that I'm not much of help. My stuff is in the shed and I would needed to go out there to dig them out to read. :ohwell:

slaphappynmd

Does your school have any online databases like JSTOR or Proquest? You might find something useful in that.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
As you are taking this class online with a professor, you are probably registered as a student in a college somewhere. As such, you would have access to the college library resources. College libraries tend to have on-line database resources that have articles about topics relevant to the subjects that the college teaches. This is where you should be searching. You could also contact Maryland's Ask Us Now (Welcome to Maryland AskUsNow! - Info Experts 24/7 - www.askusnow.info ) which will put you into contact with a librarian in a chat format who can look up information for you on databases and email it to you.

Good luck!

Sorry I didn't see this soon enough to look up stuff for you myself (need to get ready for work & won't be home until about 7 which is probably too late for you). Next time post a little earlier, okay? :whistle:

onebdzee

off the shelf
Does your school have any online databases like JSTOR or Proquest? You might find something useful in that.

I have to write 1 and a half to 2 pages on this and the information that I found in Proquest wasn't enough to elaborate enough

As you are taking this class online with a professor, you are probably registered as a student in a college somewhere. As such, you would have access to the college library resources. College libraries tend to have on-line database resources that have articles about topics relevant to the subjects that the college teaches. This is where you should be searching. You could also contact Maryland's Ask Us Now (Welcome to Maryland AskUsNow! - Info Experts 24/7 - www.askusnow.info ) which will put you into contact with a librarian in a chat format who can look up information for you on databases and email it to you.

Good luck!

Sorry I didn't see this soon enough to look up stuff for you myself (need to get ready for work & won't be home until about 7 which is probably too late for you). Next time post a little earlier, okay? :whistle:

I'm looking into this one now....Thanks

dn0121

Im betting you yahooed or excited back then. maybe even web crawlered. :killingme

dn0121

a. What specific visual film techniques do you see utilized in contemporary television? digital special effects (CGI), wide angle shots, camera moving with actors compared to sitcoms of old where it was stationary.

b. What specific television visual techniques do you see utilized in contemporary films? movies are now using more cut scenes, moving quickly back and forth between who is talking and who is not, 1st person user perspective

c. In what ways have film and television influenced each other during their shared history? switching to color, more camera angles, mini-series, product placements, soundtracks (teenage soaps)

§ Contemporary visual techniques utilized in television production and film making.[/QUOTE]

onebdzee

off the shelf
a. What specific visual film techniques do you see utilized in contemporary television? digital special effects (CGI), wide angle shots, camera moving with actors compared to sitcoms of old where it was stationary.

b. What specific television visual techniques do you see utilized in contemporary films? movies are now using more cut scenes, moving quickly back and forth between who is talking and who is not, 1st person user perspective

c. In what ways have film and television influenced each other during their shared history? switching to color, more camera angles, mini-series, product placements, soundtracks (teenage soaps)

Where did you get this information?