Calvert Bulk Trash

Dork

Highlander's MPD

It's actually free? I learned another disappointing lesson about Calvert's worthless trash system last week. I pulled into the big dump down in Lusby. The guy at the gate saw my old Anne Arundel dump sticker and said I'd be better off taking it there. What do you mean, I ask? Because it's gonna cost you $40-50 to dump your stuff here. I had to go on the scales, etc. and ended up paying close ot $40.

He was right though. In AA, I could haul my junk in there all day long and it never costed me a cent. I was trying to do the honest thing and not take it to AA dump since I live here. What a mistake. Next time, I'm heading to AA. I'm really surprised we don't see more trash just dumped on the roadside here. I don't have a good thing to say about Calverts solid waste and lack of recycling. It doesn't compare! Some have cried that they don't want to pay more taxes but when you think about it and do the math, it's gonna save most of us money. Unless you drive by one of the antiquated, poorly designed compactor sites on your way to work everyday, it really doesn't make sense the way it's done in Calvert.

I love Calvert County. I am glad I moved here but I can't stand the trash system. I don't recycle anymore either. Not worth it.

Last edited:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Came across this doing a search on google. Very helpful site, getting rid of some big stuff and wasn't sure what to do. Thanks for the info.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Says to leave the stuff at the end of your driveway or property where your mailbox is. We live on a gravel side road and our mailbox is at the end of the street near the main road. Wonder what we'd do then. Guess I need to call and find out.

jedi2814

Problem is they come when they feel like it. I called, put some furniture out and it sat for a week before they showed up (they had said next day). I've taken plenty of stuff to Appeal and never have had to pay. Don't know why the other poster did. I know commercial vehicles have to pay.

I don't have a problem taking my own trash to the dump and DO NOT care to pay for trash service. It exists privately if you want it and want to pay for it. From what I hear of other areas and what they pay for county trash service, it would NOT save me any money - free to a compactor site vs. a fee for pick up? No thanks! One more thing we'd have to pay for that would probably be screwed up too.

jsouthan

We never paid for trash pick-up until recently. Most of the companies would only take trash, not recycling, so if we had to take that ourselves, what was the point? Someone told us about a company, Ace Hauling, that had just started service about that time and they pick up recycling, too. They are about $25/month and pick up once a week, both trash and recycling on the same day. Once you factor in the gas, time and effort to get to the compactor site, it was worth it to us. They are not the "fanciest" company around (i.e, sometimes they come with a trailer attached to a truck, sometimes its a state-type truck), but they always come and you can see them keeping the trash and recycling separate. I've also talked to them on the phone and feel confident that they really are doing this to try and increase recycling in the area (aside from creating their own successful business, of course).

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Problem is they come when they feel like it. I called, put some furniture out and it sat for a week before they showed up (they had said next day). I've taken plenty of stuff to Appeal and never have had to pay. Don't know why the other poster did. I know commercial vehicles have to pay.

I don't have a problem taking my own trash to the dump and DO NOT care to pay for trash service. It exists privately if you want it and want to pay for it. From what I hear of other areas and what they pay for county trash service, it would NOT save me any money - free to a compactor site vs. a fee for pick up? No thanks! One more thing we'd have to pay for that would probably be screwed up too.

I normally don't have a problem either, just right now I don't have the manpower and don't want this stuff to take up room in my garage until July and really don't want to leave it outside. So, this is free and they set a date so I'm hoping they will show up when they said they will.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
It's actually free? I learned another disappointing lesson about Calvert's worthless trash system last week. I pulled into the big dump down in Lusby. The guy at the gate saw my old Anne Arundel dump sticker and said I'd be better off taking it there. What do you mean, I ask? Because it's gonna cost you $40-50 to dump your stuff here. I had to go on the scales, etc. and ended up paying close ot $40.

He was right though. In AA, I could haul my junk in there all day long and it never costed me a cent. I was trying to do the honest thing and not take it to AA dump since I live here. What a mistake. Next time, I'm heading to AA. I'm really surprised we don't see more trash just dumped on the roadside here. I don't have a good thing to say about Calverts solid waste and lack of recycling. It doesn't compare! Some have cried that they don't want to pay more taxes but when you think about it and do the math, it's gonna save most of us money. Unless you drive by one of the antiquated, poorly designed compactor sites on your way to work everyday, it really doesn't make sense the way it's done in Calvert.

I love Calvert County. I am glad I moved here but I can't stand the trash system. I don't recycle anymore either. Not worth it.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to call b/s on this. I've dumped an entire trailer full of stuff including a loveseat at the main dump in Lusby and it's didn't cost me a penny! I don't know how much easier they can make the recycling, paper in one bin and damn near everything else in another.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We've gone to the Appeal land-fill and sometimes we have to pay and sometimes we didn't. It normally depended on what we had and where they told us to put it. Some areas of the land-fill were "free" zones while others it cost us.

slaphappynmd

Says to leave the stuff at the end of your driveway or property where your mailbox is. We live on a gravel side road and our mailbox is at the end of the street near the main road. Wonder what we'd do then. Guess I need to call and find out.

You should be fine just leaving at the edge of your driveway. We have the same situation and they came down our street and picked it up in front of our house.

BOP

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to call b/s on this. I've dumped an entire trailer full of stuff including a loveseat at the main dump in Lusby and it's didn't cost me a penny! I don't know how much easier they can make the recycling, paper in one bin and damn near everything else in another.

Not all of us have a perky set we can flash at the guys. :biggrin:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I've used it and they came when they said. They have, I think, a few dates a month they come out, and I believe it is split up based on what part of the county you live. South, mid or north. I think the land fill charges you if you hit a certain threshold on weight, hence why you have to pull up on the scale for certain types of trash.

SugarBear47

This is nothing new people for Calvert's trash pickup. I've used it for umpteen years and it's very good. They have a pickup schedule for different areas, so yes, if you put more then 3 large items out, then you will have to wait for 2 or 3 weeks for the next pickup. Dahhhh!

wilcam47

when I lived in texas I put a couple couches on my front lawn that I was going to take to salvation army in the morning....I went to get something to eat real quick and when I got back 30 minutes or less later....they were gone! I passed by my house because I was looking for the couches not necessarily my house.....lol :killingme