Calvert County Sheriff Candidates

Rider

From the peanut gallery

Can't say much for fear of retaliation but Don Brenneman is as corrupt as they come.

Don't you just love the person who comes in at the end of intelligent conversation and throws a rock and starts running away laughing.

fisherpw

Are there any plans for any of the candidates, but specifically the Sheriff candidates, to face each other at a public forum to receive and respond to public questions or comments?

Rider

Are there any plans for any of the candidates, but specifically the Sheriff candidates, to face each other at a public forum to receive and respond to public questions or comments?

Fisherpw,
Below is the only thing I could find prior to the September primary. After that there should be some debates at the area High Schools Huntingtown being one of them. Hope this helps!

Dear Republican Candidate:

On Thursday, August 26, the Calvert County Republican Central Committee; the three clubs of Republican Women of Calvert County, Republican Women Leaders of Calvert, and the Republican Women of Southern Calvert, along with the Calvert County Republican Club will hold a candidates’ forum at the Huntingtown Fire Hall in Huntingtown. This is the same location that we held our very successful Lincoln Day Dinner in May. Four years ago we conducted a candidates’ forum and nearly 300 people attended. We hope to repeat that event!

The event is supposed to start at 7pm with introductions.

RPMDAD

I too have been watching this race closely! It is absolutely clear that the current Sheriff does not have the skill set needed to stop the current crime trends in Calvert County. He demonstrates arrogance and a clear desire to NOT work the community. This combination is a disaster for a Sheriff.

I have been watching Mr. Brenneman's campaign and have been very impressed. He walked my neighborhood recently and I had the opportunity to talk to him. He really took the time to listen to my concerns and to inform me of his plans. He didn't just feed me the lines I wanted to hear so I would vote for him. He spoke about what would be done within the department and with the community. He also pointed me in the right direction for the concerns of mine that weren't truly police business. He demonstrated to me that he had a true working knowledge of the county, having lived AND worked here. While I appreciate Brian Smith's experience in Law Enforcement, to my knowledge Mr. Smith's experience is with the US Park Service and not in Calvert County. That is one of the things that makes me feel that Brenneman is the better choice.

All in all I think we are in agreement - it is time for a new Sheriff!

I guess this where we have to agree to disagree, i am not saying anything negative about Mr. Brenneman or Mr. Smith in any way shape or form, but i am backing Sheriff Evans all the way

tom88

I don't really know Brian Smith, but know Don Brenneman and Mike Evans quite well. I don't have a horse in this race, but can say with certainty that no matter what happens in this race or in Charles County; St. Mary's County will come away with the most qualified Sheriff in Southern Maryland.

Pushrod

Patriot
I don't really know Brian Smith, but know Don Brenneman and Mike Evans quite well. I don't have a horse in this race, but can say with certainty that no matter what happens in this race or in Charles County; St. Mary's County will come away with the most qualified Sheriff in Southern Maryland.

I wish we could clone Cameron, or at least steal him away and place him in Calvert County. He is a very good sheriff!

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Don't you just love the person who comes in at the end of intelligent conversation and throws a rock and starts running away laughing.

Oh, and by the way, what's your motivation for dismissing my personal knowledge of this corrupt POS. I smell a rat with a hidden agenda.

Last edited:

bluewater

In my view, the problem is the board of commissioners currently in place. They should be delegating more dollars to the Sheriff's department and allow more officers to be hired and put bike patrols in the Ranch Club area (the main area of gang activities) Lets not forget parents as well. Some parents really care about their children and teenagers while others just let them run the streets at all times of day and night. Teenagers allowed to roll in whenever they feel like it is a recipe for disaster and one that Mike Evans or the other two candidates can not solve. When you ask any public school teacher what there one wish is, its for more parent involvement. Too many parents are looking to the school system and sherriff's office to be babysitting their kids. That is not functional and the main reason why some people break into houses, damage property, do drugs and create other dangerous environments for everyone in Calvert. I personally feel given the restraints the sherriff's office has put on it by the Commissioners, Mike has done a fine job with what he has to work with. Also as someone else pointed out, remember that a lot of crime in Calvert is caused by people coming south into the county and then heading back to the beltway and beyond.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
I have a feeling that what you smell is right there in the trailer with you!

Great. I have knowledge of corruption by your candidate and you make disparaging remarks about me instead of addressing my allegations. With supporters like you, you make my case for me. Obviously you have something to gain, influence let's say, by voting for Brenneman. That's corruption right there.

P.S. If you want to get nasty, we'll do it your way.

Last edited:

n0n1m0us3

why so serious
Do I live under a rock. Where is all this supposed gang activity in CRE you all speak of?

GMG is trying to make a name for itself supposedly. They shot some guy in the head a few months ago.
It's not just gang activity. There was the home invasion several months ago. I don't believe that was gang related but it was drug related. Last night someone attempted a hit and run. The cops were blocking the road for quite a while after that.

tom88

No horse in this race

As I have said, I have no horse in this race as I do not live in Calvert County and rarely do I work in Calvert County.

So as a bystander, who is objective I can say this.

I know Mike Evans, and I think he's a heck of a nice guy. I think he cares about his community.

I know Don Brenneman and think he's a heck of a nice guy. I also think he cares about his community.

I don't know Brian Smith.

If I am a guy who is going to hire a police chief, I want to know what their qualifications are. What have they earned in their professional life. What's their education level, and why are they qualified to handle what...at least a 20 million dollar budget each year?

Being objective, Brian Smith seems to be the most qualified candidate. If the people of Calvert County want a law enforcement professional, someone like Cameron, then they should hire a professional, not someone who is popular and a good politician.

RPMDAD

Ok lets see where we are going here, Sheriff Evans has been the Sheriff here for the past 2 terms but suddenly you all discover this forum within the past 3 months to slam him. Did you all just move down here in the last 90 days, just in time for the election?? Or did you just sit there and keep your mouths shut for the last 8 years. Seems like a coincidence to me. Also I a have stated before I am not here to slam any other candidate for Sheriff. So far I have read the courts are to lenient on the criminals, not any Sheriffs fault. We don’t like the color of the new police cars, even though it was stated in another thread St. Mary’s County is going to the same cruiser color, as well as are other dept’s across the country. As far as the other candidates go I have visited Mr. Don Brennermans site and he has a very reputable resume but offers no solutions. I have also visited Mr. Brian Smiths site and he also has a very reputable resume, and his site does have a solutions section. I have also visited Sheriff Evans site that has a reputable resume and also lists accomplishments for the last 8 years. So as I have stated in previous posts he has my vote.

Rider

fisherpw

Rider

CCSD

Scrapcat757

1Blondie

tom88

Ok lets see where we are going here, Sheriff Evans has been the Sheriff here for the past 2 terms but suddenly you all discover this forum within the past 3 months to slam him. Did you all just move down here in the last 90 days, just in time for the election?? Or did you just sit there and keep your mouths shut for the last 8 years. Seems like a coincidence to me. Also I a have stated before I am not here to slam any other candidate for Sheriff. So far I have read the courts are to lenient on the criminals, not any Sheriffs fault. We don’t like the color of the new police cars, even though it was stated in another thread St. Mary’s County is going to the same cruiser color, as well as are other dept’s across the country. As far as the other candidates go I have visited Mr. Don Brennermans site and he has a very reputable resume but offers no solutions. I have also visited Mr. Brian Smiths site and he also has a very reputable resume, and his site does have a solutions section. I have also visited Sheriff Evans site that has a reputable resume and also lists accomplishments for the last 8 years. So as I have stated in previous posts he has my vote.

Rider

fisherpw

Rider

CCSD

Scrapcat757

1Blondie

I've been here a while. Not eight years though. I am not slamming anyone. Just noting qualifications. Not popularity....actual qualifications.

RPMDAD

I've been here a while. Not eight years though. I am not slamming anyone. Just noting qualifications. Not popularity....actual qualifications.

tom88 the list i posted of members were all members of SOMD.com for less than 4 months, just thought it was interesting they suddunley joined the forums and were so up in arms about the Sheriff. I am a relative new comer to Calvert County and moved here in 1984. I lived here through Sheriff's Joy, Bootsie Stinnet, Vonzell Ward, Rodney Bartlett, and Mike Evans. I personally believe Mike Evans is the man for the job. I think he has made a lot of improvements to the Dept. over the last 8 years. Just my personal oppinion. I think he has the qualifications.

royhobie

hobieflyer
Wow! It seems like apples and oranges from St. Mary's. Tim Cameron in St. Mary's is unopposed. This man worked his way up from Patrolman, did every function of the Sheriff's Office. He listens and takes only action that makes sense from everyone. He also has a Citizens Sheriff's Office Advisory Board, which was started by the previous Sheriff, Dave Zylak. This Sheriff's Office also is accredited, which many are not. If I lived in Calvert, I would run for Sheriff. Based on who you have over there, I think I would probably win!! You need the basics that the people want. Protect their life and property is first; This is for the homes and businesses. If businesses are not safe, they will go some where else. That means you loose jobs in your County. Folks have to feel safe in their homes and have their 4th Amendment rights not only protected but held high. Their 5th Amendment rights are held equally high and must be adhered to by all law enforcement personnel as long as I am Sheriff. I would create a Citizens Sheriff's Office Advisory Board, similar to that of St. Mary's County. These citizens would have to pass a background check like that of St. Mary's so that you know you have some good folks that will represent the interests of the good people of Calvert County. I would hold community meetings everywhere and any where possible to listen to all concerns. I would start COMSTAT in Calvert Co. COMSTAT is "Computer Stat Analysis" which would tell me where crime is and is not. I would direct my resources to improve the problems in these key areas. I would have all police cars with GPS so law enforcement folks would know where these officers are at all times for their safety. Hopefully they already have it. I would make sure all police cars have on board computers, which would free up dispatchers of unnecessary chatter. I would create a more enhanced Marine Division (something St. Mary's is still considering). Calvert has a boat but rarely uses it. Remember the recent problem with foreign nationals on a ship at the mouth of the Patuxent the Calvert Sheriff's Office responded to? The Maryland State Marine Police does NOT exist any more. It was COMBINED with the INLAND division of the Department of Natural Resources. These officers RARELY go away from their patrol cars. I suggest you look at the amount of boating accidents and deaths in Maryland waters in order to realize the EXTREME need of this division. The funding for this would come from the U.S. Homeland Security. The Federal Govt. would support this division to enhance protection for the CCNP and the Natural Gas Plant. I would look at doubling up police officers in patrol cars when gas prices are exceptionally high. I would examine what percentage of the time ( and where ) do I have to send more than one police officer to the same call or same area. If you double up officers, it saves money, saves time on a response call and at the same increases officer safety. Many agencies are well known to do this during the snowy winter months for safety and response reasons. I see no reason why they can not continue to do this during other times, such as the summer when crime is usually higher. If I can show I can save the public money while at the same time decreasing response time for more than one officer, the public would support it since it saves their tax money. I would expand in service training for all police officers so they realize "they work for the public" and must show the "law adbiding" citizens respect. The continued training would remind officers to what extent of force they can use to take a criminals in to their custody and remind them of Miranda, thus decreasing dismissed cases based on the improper use of Miranda. I would have in service training for the Annotated Code of Maryland and Maryland Vehicle laws, in conjunction with the States Attorney's Office, which would reduce the amount of cases thrown out based on improper charges being used by the officer. I would be certain that the Public School system pays for School Resource Officers out of their budget, while maintaining an equal high degree of training for these officers. I have been invited to many of our Calvert Co. Schools. While there, I have observed their lack of safety and security in many of these schools. Children and staff should be well protected in our schools. Parents treasure their children and expect them to be in good care while in the hands of the Public School System. The Sheriff's Office must have a shared interest in the protection of children and staff in these schools. (Royhobie for Sheriff !! - lol !!)