Calvert curbside trash pickup

R

residentofcre

bdh802 said:
Oh, no. I hope the Grammar Police aren't on duty tonight. I made a few mistakes. lol. :jameo: The maggots crawling up my arms after cleaning up the trash again must have distracted me. Just kidding. I did that yesterday.

There are people who won't even take the trash to the curb on time. They let it pile up in the back yard near the shed. Here they are paying for trash pick up and they don't even haul it out to the curb.

There are people who let it pile up somewhere around the house and then throw it all in the back of a truck and haul it to the compactor by the pick up load.

Then there are the people who figure it's just as easy to carry it out to the truck as it is to the shed or the curb. They go to the compactor spot on the way to work. It's a routine. At least at the compactor site the environment is somewhat protected. It's not all that bad.

You know what bugs me the most about the compactor site at Appeal? It's the roads. The cars that are waiting to get in, when the gates are closed for the tractor trailer to load up again, are half out in the lane.

On top of that you have people trying to turn left into Food Lion, and even tho it's illegal, you have people turning left out of Food Lion onto HG Truman. Add a couple of busses and we are going to have a real nightmare.

If they hadn't stopped the monthly meetings we could have figured this out by now. The kids would have been safer if only there were monthly community updates.

bdh802

Bob
residentofcre said:
There are people who won't even take the trash to the curb on time. They let it pile up in the back yard near the shed. Here they are paying for trash pick up and they don't even haul it out to the curb.

There are people who let it pile up somewhere around the house and then throw it all in the back of a truck and haul it to the compactor by the pick up load.

Then there are the people who figure it's just as easy to carry it out to the truck as it is to the shed or the curb. They go to the compactor spot on the for the tractor trailer to load up again, are half out in the lane. way to work. It's a routine. At least at the compactor site the environment is somewhat protected. It's not all that bad.

You know what bugs me the most about the compactor site at Appeal? It's the roads. The cars that are waiting to get in, when the gates are closed

On top of that you have people trying to turn left into Food Lion, and even tho it's illegal, you have people turning left out of Food Lion onto HG Truman. Add a couple of busses and we are going to have a real nightmare.

If they hadn't stopped the monthly meetings we could have figured this out by now. The kids would have been safer if only there were monthly community updates.

I am one of those who let's it pile up and haul it by the pick up load. Why? Well, the closest site it Pushaw Station for me and it's about 10 miles away. It's not on the way to work or anything like that. It's a real chore. THis last Sunday, I was on my way south (not on a trash run) and noticed 3 pick ups on the side of the road at 11:40 waiting for the compactor site to open. What a waste of time. I don't claim to have all the answers. I don't plan on changing the world but I can offer my view as a person who has seen it done both ways. It really is a lot nicer (and cheaper if you do the math) to have it picked up at your house. Someone stated in a post a while back that driving it to the site beats having to have your trash out to the curb by 5 am. I respect that opinion but I can't make sense of it. I can tell you, as a person who has had it both ways (no, I'm talking about trash!), that it's so much nicer paying the $300 a year to the county and having it all taken care of for you.
*No gas ($$$$$$$)
*No pick up truck
*Less time to drag it to the curb
*No line at the compactor site
*No waiting for the site to open or change containers
*Much less work and time altogether.
*No trash on the side of the road. I notice more as I approached Pushaw Station Rd. Not only paper and general trash but kid's old play toys, cardboard boxes, end tables, etc.
*Less traffic
*More time with your family instead of the guy who pushes the button on the compactor.
* Less money spent on large black trash bags (at least for me).
*In AAco, they even picked up 100 bags of leaves in the fall if you had that many. Christmas trees, branches, gumballs, no problem. Here, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) we have to haul them all the way to Appeal.
*In AAco, they also picked up that old fridge or washer if you called them, no charge.
*Sound like it creates a traffic mess around CRE/Lusby on the weekends. Why?

O.K. Im sure some of you will suggest I move back. Don't bother. I am not #####in' to bitc'. I really do like it here. I am just offering my experience as a resident of both counties. I think you really don't know what you are missing. It's worth every penny. Heck, you are already paying $103 for nothing. Why not have another $100 or so to have it all taken care of.

R

residentofcre

bdh802 said:
I am one of those who let's it pile up and haul it by the pick up load. Why? Well, the closest site it Pushaw Station for me and it's about 10 miles away. It's not on the way to work or anything like that. It's a real chore. THis last Sunday, I was on my way south (not on a trash run) and noticed 3 pick ups on the side of the road at 11:40 waiting for the compactor site to open. What a waste of time. I don't claim to have all the answers. I don't plan on changing the world but I can offer my view as a person who has seen it done both ways. It really is a lot nicer (and cheaper if you do the math) to have it picked up at your house. Someone stated in a post a while back that driving it to the site beats having to have your trash out to the curb by 5 am. I respect that opinion but I can't make sense of it. I can tell you, as a person who has had it both ways (no, I'm talking about trash!), that it's so much nicer paying the $300 a year to the county and having it all taken care of for you.
*No gas ($$$$$$$)
*No pick up truck
*Less time to drag it to the curb
*No line at the compactor site
*No waiting for the site to open or change containers
*Much less work and time altogether.
*No trash on the side of the road. I notice more as I approached Pushaw Station Rd. Not only paper and general trash but kid's old play toys, cardboard boxes, end tables, etc.
*Less traffic
*More time with your family instead of the guy who pushes the button on the compactor.
* Less money spent on large black trash bags (at least for me).
*In AAco, they even picked up 100 bags of leaves in the fall if you had that many. Christmas trees, branches, gumballs, no problem. Here, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) we have to haul them all the way to Appeal.
*In AAco, they also picked up that old fridge or washer if you called them, no charge.
*Sound like it creates a traffic mess around CRE/Lusby on the weekends. Why?

O.K. Im sure some of you will suggest I move back. Don't bother. I am not #####in' to bitc'. I really do like it here. I am just offering my experience as a resident of both counties. I think you really don't know what you are missing. It's worth every penny. Heck, you are already paying $103 for nothing. Why not have another $100 or so to have it all taken care of.

Very well thought out. I've had it both ways too and if I didn't have a hubby and a pick up truck, I would be paying too.

We have to be very careful tho and hire someone better than a dude with a pick up who won't quite make it to the landfill.

If I make it through the primary and general I'd like to discuss this more with you. Would you send me an email and lable your comments with the name of this thread so I can save it?

qadthane

The Kilted Brewer
Leave things as they are. People move away from the crowded counties and then miss the things they had there. They want them implemented here and the next thing you know it will be the same as the place you left. You have a choice to hire trash service here or haul it to the dump yourself. Coming to Calvert and enlightening us with how nice it would be if... will only change Calvert for the worse at an even faster pace. Right now you can choose what type of place you want to live in, developed with lots or services or rural where you have to do things for yourself. Start adding all the services in Calvert and the next thing you know there won't be a choice anymore.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I don't want to pay anymore in taxes for trash pick-up. :burning:

We already pay a landfill fee. The option is there to hire a private contractor.

If you live too far from the landfill you should've thought about that before moving here. IMO, driving 10 miles anywhere in somd is nothing. I do it everyday to go just about anywhere.

Right now, I can dump my trash whenever I want and not have to keep it around until someone's expected to show up and take it away for me.

R

residentofcre

qadthane said:
Leave things as they are. People move away from the crowded counties and then miss the things they had there. They want them implemented here and the next thing you know it will be the same as the place you left. You have a choice to hire trash service here or haul it to the dump yourself. Coming to Calvert and enlightening us with how nice it would be if... will only change Calvert for the worse at an even faster pace. Right now you can choose what type of place you want to live in, developed with lots or services or rural where you have to do things for yourself. Start adding all the services in Calvert and the next thing you know there won't be a choice anymore.

I would like to see some kind of protection against the guys with the open trucks that loose the load on the way to the landfill. I don't like the looks of trash bags on the side of the road or blowing all over the place.

For those who don't want trash pick up on their tax bills... I totally agree...
I don't want to have it done that way either because as soon as we add another layer of service then we would have to be debating the cost to those who are on fixed budgets.

I'd also like to see some protection against the fuel surcharge clause in the commercial contracts. It seems to be a convenient way to hike the price above the contracted price. Why is it that the fuel surcharge goes on the bill and when the fuel prices drop the surcharge doesn't?

Last edited by a moderator:

CAE

I've lived in CC for three years; in the last 20 years, I've lived in various parts of MD and NoVA.

I don't have a pickup truck and I have no intention of buying one. The compactor sites are not convenient for me. So, I pay to have my trash picked up. As far as I'm concerned it's worth every penny; it works out to about $1/day. I know a lot of folks who spent $5/day at Starbucks!

I'm happy that our taxes in CC are low and I'm happy to pay for what I use. If people with pickups who drive by the dump each day can take their trash, then more power to 'em!

Less taxes is better IMHO and that's one of many things I like here in CC!

For anyone considering a trash service, I'd skip Waste Management. They instituted new rules this year that limit what you can throw away.

bdh802

Bob
Karma to me.....Quit #####in and go back where you're from Jesus

I just wanted to answer this karma statement. NO, I'm not moving back. Oh, I am getting used to this trash thing anyway. I've learned to make it fun. I take my 2 kids with me and we each take a guess as to how many pieces of trash fly out of the back of the truck on the way to the compactor site. The person who gets closest to the actual number gets to use the good gloves when we get to the dump. The second closest gets to wash his hands first when we get home. The third place or last gets to hose out the truck . Today, I actually won. I guessed 8 and there were 9 things that blew out of the truck. Damn, I can't wait to do this again.

greyhound

bdh802 said:
I take my 2 kids with me and we each take a guess as to how many pieces of trash fly out of the back of the truck on the way to the compactor site.

Do you put your trash in plastic bags? Oh and tie them closed?

bdh802

Bob
bdh802 said:
I sure do but the raccoons and other critters rip them open. They're so cute!

For those who actually think I'm serious...I'm not! I was trying to generate a laugh or two but I forget that not everyone has a warped sense of humor, as I do. :killingme

bdh802

Bob
willie said:
Calvert Trash is now up to $89.04 per quarter and will go up another 2% next quarter.

I love Calvert County. I just wish my calculator worked the same as the ones some people in this county are using. I am trying to hit the "taxes are lower here" button but my sum total keeps coming out higher. Maybe I just need new batteries......

Not whinning, just having fun :howdy:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
According to a website posted today, my house increased in value over $3200+ since last week. So far, all I did was cut the grass. Tomorrow is dump day, I'm expecting a bigger increase for next week.

bdh802

Bob
Sharon said:
According to a website posted today, my house increased in value over $3200+ since last week. So far, all I did was cut the grass. Tomorrow is dump day, I'm expecting a bigger increase for next week.

Wow, I wasn't sure whether to cut the grass or not this morning. I'm definitely going to now. For $3,200, I'll even clean out the gutters today.

Uncle Rico

bdh802 said:
Wow, I wasn't sure whether to cut the grass or not this morning. I'm definitely going to now. For $3,200, I'll even clean out the gutters today.

:lmao: :lmao: You really think this will increase your property value??? Try moving out. That would be your best bet.

willie

Does anyone use CRC Waste Services, INC? Twice a week pickup and they say they're the cheapest.

MMDad

Lem Putt
willie said:
Does anyone use CRC Waste Services, INC? Twice a week pickup and they say they're the cheapest.
Yes. Supply your own containers, up to two (I think) 45 gallon cans. They will also do special pickups for excess or oversize items if you need it. They are reliable, and they are the cheapest (other than DIY).

willie

MMDad said:
Yes. Supply your own containers, up to two (I think) 45 gallon cans. They will also do special pickups for excess or oversize items if you need it. They are reliable, and they are the cheapest (other than DIY).
:yay:
thanx

bdh802

Bob
MMDad said:

Do you have the number for CRC?