Campaigning to move halloween to Saturday

C

czygvtwkr

Interesting. Where I come from, that was predetermined being that we already have a holiday called Halloween. Where I come from the town doesn't arbitrarily decide when to open Christmas presents either since that seemed pretty obvious too.

Well if hundreds of kids came to your front door to do it I am sure you would want them to. It accompolished two things, it kept kids from doing it on a school night and it kept kids from ringing doorbells late at night expecting candy. I couldn't believe there were kids still ringing doorbells after 11PM when i first moved here, no costumes either....

Change that it accompolished three things, most people set that window of time for just giving out treats. Unlike here every single house gave out candy and many of the people dressed up to do it. Halloween here is just ghetto for a kids holliday.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

czygvtwkr

Since when is treat or treating a function of the govt. Halloween falls on Oct. 31st each year.

How is that any different than so many government hollidays being on Mondays? MLK was sure obliging to be born on a Monday and Columbus discovering America on a Monday was great giving us a three day weekend. :yahoo:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Well if hundreds of kids came to your front door to do it I am sure you would want them to. It accompolished two things, it kept kids from doing it on a school night and it kept kids from ringing doorbells late at night expecting candy. I couldn't believe there were kids still ringing doorbells after 11PM when i first moved here, no costumes either....

Change that it accompolished three things, most people set that window of time for just giving out treats. Unlike here every single house gave out candy and many of the people dressed up to do it. Halloween here is just ghetto for a kids holliday.

Lived here since '88 and have never had trick or treaters at the door at 11pm. Just turn the outside lights off and they stop coming.

awpitt

Main Streeter
How is that any different than so many government hollidays being on Mondays? MLK was sure obliging to be born on a Monday and Columbus discovering America on a Monday was great giving us a three day weekend. :yahoo:

How is it different? Well, those are govt holidays. Halloween is not. It's not that complicated.

C

czygvtwkr

Lived here since '88 and have never had trick or treaters at the door at 11pm. Just turn the outside lights off and they stop coming.

This was in an apartment complex where we had no control of the outside lights. Now I live in a house I don't bother because and leave the light off because its annoying to do it for more than two hours.

C

czygvtwkr

How is it different? Well, those are govt holidays. Halloween is not. It's not that complicated.

Not every government has to be a Federal government holliday. Town governments are allowed to set some rules just like HOA's are. 10th ammendment and all....

awpitt

Main Streeter
Not every government has to be a Federal government holliday. Town governments are allowed to set some rules just like HOA's are. 10th ammendment and all....

I didn't say all holidays are fed. I did point out that Halloween is not a govt holiday, of any sort fed, state or local.

C

czygvtwkr

I didn't say all holidays are fed. I did point out that Halloween is not a govt holiday, of any sort fed, state or local.

Well I'm sure nobody would be arrested if they tried to trick-or-treat outside of that day or hours but it was to make things go smooth and so people knew a time window to hand out treats. A set time also alerted motorists when to be on the lookout. I actually had a friend that had an accident because some trick-or-treaters ran out in the road in front of her car.

Setting a time just made things better for everyone. When I was a kid I say I probably went to 100 houses each halloween and probably 98 of those treated. Here I see kids going through the neighborhoods and half or less of the people treat.

Terrid76

Look you were given a time, get over it. Halloween is on the 31st of October followed by All Saints Day which is followed by All Souls Day.

I've lived in St Mary's county for a lot of years. Generally kids are out from dusk to about 9pm. Don't want them bothering you, turn out you outside light. It's really simple.

If you like being told what to do and when, move back to where you came from. (or apparently Charles County) I don't need someone to tell me when Halloween is or Christmas or New Years.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I've been getting all the free condoms I can as the gov gives them out, see how all the "progressive parents" like it when they find them in their kids trick-or-treat bags...see the kids now "look mom, a balloon"...Frank Barone did it, so can I

tom88

First, I have never had a kid come to my door at 11pm. (I would suggest if they do, don't answer). Second, if you don't want your kids out on a school night, keep them home.

kara teoke

Not in SOMD any more
https://www.facebook.com/groups/287309614721158/

trying to get the word out. If you disagree that is fine. But my little bunny rabbit wants it- as do a lot of others. :)

trying to get the county commissioners and the county gov't to get this ball rolling.

image.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Interesting. Where I come from, that was predetermined being that we already have a holiday called Halloween. Where I come from the town doesn't arbitrarily decide when to open Christmas presents either since that seemed pretty obvious too.

Well I'm sorry but it's just not convenient for WC's child to trick or treat on Halloween, so we need to change it. All you mommies, check your DayPlanners real quick and let us know when we should have candy available for your kids.

C

czygvtwkr

First, I have never had a kid come to my door at 11pm. (I would suggest if they do, don't answer). Second, if you don't want your kids out on a school night, keep them home.

When the doorbell rings and wakes you up its a bit annoying. Like I said now I have a house I leave the light off and dont give out treats.

These weren't kids from the nieghborhood either, they were hoodrats that had no costumes and were too old to trick-or-treat to begin with.