Can anyone offer fishing advice

Midnightrider

I've been out another 5-6 times and haven't caught anything but sea grass

I think I'll have better luck with this warm weather in the next 2-3 weeks.. I did cast some rubber baits and after 6 hours they were gone.. so something is out there. Maybe I need to be more patient. And soon I'll have my dingy.. maybe I'll better luck out on the boat and if not, at least I'm on a boat.

I'm confused. Are you casting out rubber baits and then leaving them to sit as if they are bait? also what type of rubber bait and what type of rig?

Hannibal

I am confused myself. There should be NO rubber in anything you are throwing out there.

Basic top and bottom rig (google images will help). If there is no current where you are, 2oz should be plenty to hold bottom. Fresh bait is the only go to (blood worms, cut bait, etc.).

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I picked up 11 fish yesterday. I got them on a square bill crank bait. You can now see that the bluegills are on their beds ready to spawn and day now.

Midnightrider

I've tried everything, of course live bait was the first choice on a bottom rig.

Ok, HEre is what you want to do. First, only use bait, live or cut bait, on your bottom jig. I WOULD NOT leave a line out when i am not actively around to fish it, even if you do catch a fish he is likely to get off by the time you get back. Plus crabs are going to eat your bait if you leave it to sit that long.

If you are going to use soft plastic baits you should use a jig head and cast them out and then retreive them slowly. You can "jig" the bait as you bring it in, but that is not necessary.

Here is a youtube on rigging a sassy shad. that should show you the general technique to rig a soft bait on a jighead. I cant actually view it here, but the descriptions looks like what you need to know. In the summer i use crappy jigs or bettle spins (both are essentially small versions of the sassy shad on a tiny jig head). You can catch perch, rock and lots of fresh water species too with those.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CqBRVsDerwgood luck

lovinmaryland

We use some dropper loops, rooster tails, or bottom rigs off our pier.

I've found the best "bait" is to catch a small perch and cut that up and us as bait. For some reason we do the best w/ that.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 159

zar

Theist
finally caught a fish yesterday just outside combs creek in the actual breton bay, first time getting out there.. A nice croaker :starcat:

I knew all I had to do was get out the creek.. i doubt a fish is ever going to bite a bait with a ton off seaweed caught on it/leafs getting caught on it every 5 seconds.

NvU0s0u.png

Midnightrider

finally caught a fish yesterday just outside combs creek in the actual breton bay, first time getting out there.. A nice croaker :starcat:

I knew all I had to do was get out the creek.. i doubt a fish is ever going to bite a bait with a ton off seaweed caught on it/leafs getting caught on it every 5 seconds.

NvU0s0u.png

Congrats, nice fish.

It looks like you have a lot going on with that rig....

Generally the lures you are using are tied directly to the line and ten cast out and retrieved immediately.

The bottom rig on the other hand is used with snelled hooks. They have a small piece of monofilament already attached and can be easily attached to the wires on the bottom rig. Add a weight at the bottom of the rig and bait the hooks with blood worms and you will have more luck.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
:yay:

Croakers bite best after sundown. They move inshore to feed when the sun goes down. I guess bright sunlight makes it hard for them to see with those big, marble eyes.

And I see you caught it in a porta bote. Are you using a trolling motor or just rowing out?

Chris0nllyn

We use some dropper loops, rooster tails, or bottom rigs off our pier.

I've found the best "bait" is to catch a small perch and cut that up and us as bait. For some reason we do the best w/ that.

Nice job!

BTW, that is a Blue Catfish and considered an invasive species by DNR. they ask that you kill them, and catch and rlease of them are discouraged (along with Flathead Cats)
http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pages/catfish.aspx

zar

Theist
Congrats, nice fish.

It looks like you have a lot going on with that rig....

Generally the lures you are using are tied directly to the line and ten cast out and retrieved immediately.

The bottom rig on the other hand is used with snelled hooks. They have a small piece of monofilament already attached and can be easily attached to the wires on the bottom rig. Add a weight at the bottom of the rig and bait the hooks with blood worms and you will have more luck.

there is a weight at the bottom, it's just cut off in that picture. The rig is pretty much that set up, it has too clamp like things that make it easy to put a lure/hook on easily. I used the lures because I was in a rush and it's a little less of a hassle to just clamp on lures than trying to but bloodworms on a hooks and avoid being bit by them. Tomorrow I'll be out for several hours hopefully and I'll have time to deal with them.
:yay:

Croakers bite best after sundown. They move inshore to feed when the sun goes down. I guess bright sunlight makes it hard for them to see with those big, marble eyes.

And I see you caught it in a porta bote. Are you using a trolling motor or just rowing out?

I'm surprised someone here recognizes this boat. I thought about making a thread before purchasing asking if anyone had experience with one but figured nobody had. I just bought a 2.3 hp honda outboard for it, took me up to about 6mph with no current but I kinda regret not paying extra for the 5hp. I'd guess combs creek is about a mile long before you reach the sand bar that leads into breton bay and while I have done it before rowing is difficult.. took me about 10 minutes with the outboard.

that's weird looking, what kind of fish and is this caught maryland?

Also can anyone help me out, I got my boat registered today. I noticed a lot of people paying $70 for a fishing sticker, is this required for all boats or will a fishing license suffice? They were also selling fishing license that were from what I remember more expensive than what rod n reel/walmart charge but I could be wrong. I find the website a little unclear and the DNR office seemed more interested in lecturing people than providing advice and it was really busy so I didn't bother asking them. Also I've been finding it difficult to find the information on google.. just a bunch of links to buy fishing licenses come up. I'm guessing the sticker covers anyone fishing on the boat and they won't need to have individual fishing licenses? but I also read on a Chesapeake fishing forum that people are required to report the fish they catch online somehow. It all seemed confusing to me, if anyone could help clear that up it would be great.

Midnightrider

there is a weight at the bottom, it's just cut off in that picture. The rig is pretty much that set up, it has too clamp like things that make it easy to put a lure/hook on easily. I used the lures because I was in a rush and it's a little less of a hassle to just clamp on lures than trying to but bloodworms on a hooks and avoid being bit by them. Tomorrow I'll be out for several hours hopefully and I'll have time to deal with them.
That's cool. Just think your lures will swim better if you tie them directly to the line and use the one at a time.
If you cut small pieces of bookworm, just enough to cover the hook, it should go on pretty easy.
I'm surprised someone here recognizes this boat. I thought about making a thread before purchasing asking if anyone had experience with one but figured nobody had. I just bought a 2.3 hp honda outboard for it, took me up to about 6mph with no current but I kinda regret not paying extra for the 5hp. I'd guess combs creek is about a mile long before you reach the sand bar that leads into breton bay and while I have done it before rowing is difficult.. took me about 10 minutes with the outboard.

Also can anyone help me out, I got my boat registered today. I noticed a lot of people paying $70 for a fishing sticker, is this required for all boats or will a fishing license suffice? They were also selling fishing license that were from what I remember more expensive than what rod n reel/walmart charge but I could be wrong. I find the website a little unclear and the DNR office seemed more interested in lecturing people than providing advice and it was really busy so I didn't bother asking them. Also I've been finding it difficult to find the information on google.. just a bunch of links to buy fishing licenses come up. I'm guessing the sticker covers anyone fishing on the boat and they won't need to have individual fishing licenses? but I also read on a Chesapeake fishing forum that people are required to report the fish they catch online somehow. It all seemed confusing to me, if anyone could help clear that up it would be great.

The boat license covers everyone on your boat. So if you have a bigger boat your guests don't need to worry about getting their licenses. I think it comes with an individual license for you to use when you are not on the boat too.

If you are in a small boat the individual license is probably better for you

The sticker is so anyone fishing with you does not need a license. I always got one because it was cheaper than getting one for the family. The fish is a sturgeon in OR. Catch and release for now. Bay used to have a lot of them, but supposedly all gone now.

Fish finders

These help too. Dual forward, side and below, wireless scanners.

Attachments

• fish finders.jpg
    fish finders.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 174

zar

Theist
The bloodworms finally came through today.. caught 6 more croakers although I caught the biggest one on a rooster trail

sfsdvsdvsdvdsv.jpg

well I'm ready to catch something else now