can you really?

poster

It IS an issue, especially if the horse repeatedly gets out.

And I hope a horse won't break a bridal!! Maybe a bridle, but not a bridal! :faint:

:lmao:

Sorry :doh: bridle.

"get sued if your horse gets out and does not have a halter on and someone stops to help you can they sue you for not having a halter on your horse?"

they're wanting to know if they can be sued for not having a halter on the horse. If the horse is getting out repeatedly a halter is not the reason it's out, no halter may make it harder to catch but I still don't see a reason you'd be sued "for not having a halter on your horse".

Cowgirl

Sorry :doh: bridle.

"get sued if your horse gets out and does not have a halter on and someone stops to help you can they sue you for not having a halter on your horse?"

they're wanting to know if they can be sued for not having a halter on the horse. If the horse is getting out repeatedly a halter is not the reason it's out, no halter may make it harder to catch but I still don't see a reason you'd be sued "for not having a halter on your horse".

I don't know if she could be sued, but she'd definitely be liable for damages. :shrug:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
In Florida we have the inherent risk law, but it does not apply to negligence as Phyxius said. We just had a guy not far from here put in jail and fined for failure to properly contain his animals in a secure area (or something like that). His horses have gotten out repeated on a busy roadway. Last year a one of his horses and a motorcyclist was killed because of it. I am not sure what happened to him then though. If your horse gets loose and kills or injures someone or damages property you can get sued. I don't think it matters if the horse was wearing a halter or not.

devinej

would it be different if the horse was kept at a boarding facility and not on the owner's property?

poster

In Florida we have the inherent risk law, but it does not apply to negligence as Phyxius said. We just had a guy not far from here put in jail and fined for failure to properly contain his animals in a secure area (or something like that). His horses have gotten out repeated on a busy roadway. Last year a one of his horses and a motorcyclist was killed because of it. I am not sure what happened to him then though. If your horse gets loose and kills or injures someone or damages property you can get sued. I don't think it matters if the horse was wearing a halter or not.

I had the same thought.
Did someone get hurt or was there damage?
If not I wouldn't get too worried about it, just make sure it doesn't happen again.

poster

would it be different if the horse was kept at a boarding facility and not on the owner's property?

Meaning not your fences, horse out due to the property owner?
Good question.
That would make sense but my guess is the, lets say 'victim', would sue the horse owner and the owner would then in turn sue the boarding facility.

mistymoofwf

live to ride
mh makes me not really want a horse anymore..................... you cant help it if your horse did somthing that was not your falt like my tb chews off the top bords to the fence just to have somthing to do even though he has hay and once hes done with the top bord if i dont fix it asap he starts with the middle one and he cant get put in electric fencing bc even though hes on 3acres of grass he things the grass on the other side is better and goes right threw it

Cowgirl

mh makes me not really want a horse anymore..................... you cant help it if your horse did somthing that was not your falt like my tb chews off the top bords to the fence just to have somthing to do even though he has hay and once hes done with the top bord if i dont fix it asap he starts with the middle one and he cant get put in electric fencing bc even though hes on 3acres of grass he things the grass on the other side is better and goes right threw it

:confused: Your horse can chew through an entire wooden board? Get electric tape inside the board fence.

Sparks

Meaning not your fences, horse out due to the property owner?
Good question.
That would make sense but my guess is the, lets say 'victim', would sue the horse owner and the owner would then in turn sue the boarding facility.

Horse owner and barn owner would most likely both be named in the suit if there was serious damage, or worse.

mistymoofwf

live to ride
:confused: Your horse can chew through an entire wooden board? Get electric tape inside the board fence.

he runs right threw it did it every time i put him back and fixed it five mins later on the other side eating grass one day a lady stoped in to let me know she cought him and put him in the ring at oak ridge along with are 3other horses had to walk over and get them

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
When I have a chewer...I use axel grease! A light coat makes them HATE the taste, and once they get a couple bites of that in a few spots, they quit trying. Works for tail chewers too! Just dont grab your fences afterwards.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I had a chewer this winter. I made a soultion of boiled hot peppers and painted it on the chewed areas of the boards. The first day there was a little bit more chewing so I reapplyed the hot pepper juice and there hasn't been any more chewing anywhere since. I used dried jalapeno, cayenne and ty dragon peppers that I grew in the garden. It dried almost clear with a few seeds sticking on and didn't look too bad on the boards. Got more hot peppers in the garden this year just in case I need to reapply again this winter. They are also for cooking too:)

poster

nope hes a gelding, vary sweet and quiet horse he just wants what he cant have and works untill he gets it lol

Sounds like your electric might be grounding out and he's figured out how to know it. We had a gelding that would lay his wiskers on the wire to see if it was on, once we caught him doing this we cut his wiskers and he got zapped. We also had to put in upper and lower electric or he'd push on the bottom rails till he heard them crack.