Can you recommend........

A good semi-transparent stain for a deck?

We reviewed Behr and Sherwin Williams and the ratings are not that high.

We are considering an oil base, but not sure of brand...TWP, Sikkens, Cabot.

We do not want to paint it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

C

czygvtwkr

I have had good luck with Olympic Maxximum, but the best I have used is Cabot.

Thomsons Waterseal seems to be pure garbage from what I can tell from my neighbors deck.

mamatutu

mama to two

We just did this last summer. Our house is over 20 years old, and we don't know previous history before we bought it. (Closed bid foreclosure). We used Cabot Sold Color Acrylic Deck Stain in a beige. It is beautiful, but... the back deck has started to peel. Maybe, because it is too shaded, is a mosses' best friend, or the deck was too wet when we applied it. The front that has full sun exposure is doing much better, but there are a few spots that have discolored/peeled. We only did one coat, so that may be the problem. We are doing a second coat this fall. We bought a pre-existing house with naked wood decks. We don't know if the correct pre-treated wood was used or not. We are just trying to preserve what is here. We did have some warping before we used the Cabot, and that has seemed to have subsided for the most part. I hope this helps. Good luck.

meddauna

I used Flood brand a few weeks ago in the cedar color. All the reviews on Lowes website are really positive. Here's a before and after.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 150

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
We used Cabot on our deck 3 years ago. Very happy with the color, we've had no issues.

C

czygvtwkr

We just did this last summer. Our house is over 20 years old, and we don't know previous history before we bought it. (Closed bid foreclosure). We used Cabot Sold Color Acrylic Deck Stain in a beige. It is beautiful, but... the back deck has started to peel. Maybe, because it is too shaded, is a mosses' best friend, or the deck was too wet when we applied it. The front that has full sun exposure is doing much better, but there are a few spots that have discolored/peeled. We only did one coat, so that may be the problem. We are doing a second coat this fall. We bought a pre-existing house with naked wood decks. We don't know if the correct pre-treated wood was used or not. We are just trying to preserve what is here. We did have some warping before we used the Cabot, and that has seemed to have subsided for the most part. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Did you prep the wood first? A good scrub with TSP and then a pressure wash solves almost all issues except things like sap pockets, those are almost impossible to do anything about.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I'm doing mine now with Olympic Cedartone semitransparent. I'll post pics later.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Was very disappointed with the reformulated Cabot deck stain.

Started with 2 gallons of the older formula and finished with 5 gallons of the newer...definite, unacceptable, difference.

MarieB

We have only used Sherwin Williams, and we were very happy with it and how it held up.

C

czygvtwkr

Was very disappointed with the reformulated Cabot deck stain.

Started with 2 gallons of the older formula and finished with 5 gallons of the newer...definite, unacceptable, difference.

Did it all come from Lowes? I have heard that the stuff you get from Lowes isn't always the same quality as what you get from a supplier so it can be sold cheaper. The Cabot I got from Lowes came from there 6-7 years ago and was excellent though.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! We have purchased the 'old' formula of Cabot, Semi-Transparent, Oil Base, Natural Cedar, 0300 Series. I purchased a 5 gallon bucket so we wouldn't have to worry about inner-mixing or mismatched coloring. The deck is to be power washed on Tuesday and then if we have no rain, stained the following week. I will try to get some before and after pics.

We had this deck built 3 years ago and used Olympic Toner on it. It looked nice, but was not put on heavy enough, I don't beleive so it didn't last and hold up for very long. And then we have an issue of some black spots on the deck from some deck furniture where the frames filled with rain and drained out black when we picked them up to move them. I'll be anixous to see if they come off with power washing or if we will need to do a light sanding.

sparkyaclown

I know the original poster already decided but for anyone else out there I found this site fairly useful. Stain reviews
As far as what you can pick up in a store, Cabot seems to be one of the best.

C

czygvtwkr

I know the original poster already decided but for anyone else out there I found this site fairly useful. Stain reviews
As far as what you can pick up in a store, Cabot seems to be one of the best.

I see from this website Olympic Maximum has changed to a more enviromentally friendly water based formulia, and of course it isn't as good as the old one. I really liked the old one.

I always take internet reviews with a grain of salt though, often times I have found that the reviewer really didnt know what they was doing or gave something a low score just because of some weird pet peeve.