Can't believe this

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Retirement suggestions

Drive to stores, find a great parking spot and just sit there with your backup lights on until waiting drivers get frustrated.

Venture into the stores and drop random items into peoples unattended shopping carts.

Go into the starbucks at 630 in the morning and when you get to the front of the line, ask for a detailed description of every drink you see on the board.

Sit at traffic lights pretending your car won't start when it turns green and then start it and drive away as the light turns yellow.

phreddyp

True, it kills me, it isn't difficult either.

People in their late 50s early 60s being clueless on retirement just blows my mind though.
It kills me too! My employees had to listen to me rant a least once a year about retirement planning, most didn't care nor listened. However the ones that did are sitting pretty a lot of their initial savings were from our profit-sharing plan and they went from there.

I started a Roth Ira for my daughter when she was about 13, she worked for me two summers and we started with those earnings. She is now 36 and has a couple hundred thousand in her Roth IRA she maxes it out every year. She got the message early. She also has a company retirement plan now.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Unless you are actually a wizard, I'm sorry.
I was thinking about this response. Why? Why would you be sorry that I enjoy my job? I personally feel sorry for the people who loath their jobs so much that the only thing that they look forward to is going home in the evening until the time that they can retire.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I personally feel sorry for the people who loath their jobs so much that the only thing that they look forward to is going home in the evening until the time that they can retire.
:howdy: Hated going in, couldn't wait to retire. Life is very good now.

Just an observation, not pointed at you, but I've seen so many people like you, where they lived for the job. Worked and worked, and died within 6 months of finally retiring. Completely missed out on the enjoyment of being free and seeing something beyond the office walls. I did not want to be one of those.

Miker/t

Retirement suggestions

Drive to stores, find a great parking spot and just sit there with your backup lights on until waiting drivers get frustrated.

Venture into the stores and drop random items into peoples unattended shopping carts.

Go into the starbucks at 630 in the morning and when you get to the front of the line, ask for a detailed description of every drink you see on the board.

Sit at traffic lights pretending your car won't start when it turns green and then start it and drive away as the light turns yellow.
Go to the McDonald's drive-thru at lunch time and order fries with no salt.

Grumpy

Just an observation, not pointed at you, but I've seen so many people like you, where they lived for the job. Worked and worked, and died within 6 months of finally retiring. Completely missed out on the enjoyment of being free and seeing something beyond the office walls. I did not want to be one of those.
Worked with a retired Army Colonel(?), very detailed guy, on top of everything. He always said he was going to work until 72, then retire to a life of luxury. He retired, 2 weeks after retirement found he had cancer and died 6 weeks later. Great guy, jogged daily, ate right and always expected him to live until his 90s..Ya just never know.

PeoplesElbow

I was thinking about this response. Why? Why would you be sorry that I enjoy my job? I personally feel sorry for the people who loath their jobs so much that the only thing that they look forward to is going home in the evening until the time that they can retire.
Never said I was sorry that you enjoy your job, I am sorry that is what defines you.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Worked with a retired Army Colonel(?), very detailed guy, on top of everything. He always said he was going to work until 72, then retire to a life of luxury. He retired, 2 weeks after retirement found he had cancer and died 6 weeks later. Great guy, jogged daily, ate right and always expected him to live until his 90s..Ya just never know.
Years back when I did linework, I had a grisled old forman that could outwork the linemen, outdrink a navy yard, worked until he was 70, retired to North Beach and was dead 7 months later.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The person who comes to mind first was someone I worked with here locally. Kind of guy that insisted on doing things just to make sure everyone was treated fairly and correctly, went out of his way with absolutely no expectation of a return favor at allother than his paycheck, which I'm pretty sure went in-part to charities. In fact, he, most times, would not accept help because he didn't want anyone to go out of their way on his account. Long standing member of the Rescue Squad and multiple other local orgs.

Put in 70 years with the company, retired and almost immediately fell too ill for his wife to take care of him.

Another co-worker was so intent on making a lot of money so he could retire, that he worked far beyond that point. He was so hung up on making sure there was money for retirement. Retired, immediately wound up in the Solomon's Nursing Home.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Guess I’m fortunate I planned for early retirement and thankfully had resources to do it. I may have worked another year or two, but the Fed forced my hand with the requirement to get the jab.
I may need to take some of Kyle’s advice to keep from getting bored. 😄

PeoplesElbow

I suppose that is my situation. I love being an engineer, but for the most part can't stand other engineers. I do engineering, but over time get saddled with so much metric collection it takes longer than the engineering then get asked why something that use to take a week now takes three. Usually reply you mean before when we didn't have to collect all these metrics and do the reporting processes to show where we are?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Guess I’m fortunate I planned for early retirement and thankfully had resources to do it.
Me too. Made sure the numbers made sense and pulled the plug at 59. Gave me the freedom to take care of the parental units and travel, see family, work on projects that I never had time for....

And I have a higher income now than I did when I was working. My beneficiaries will be very happy to see me go... :lol:

phreddyp

Me too. Made sure the numbers made sense and pulled the plug at 59. Gave me the freedom to take care of the parental units and travel, see family, work on projects that I never had time for....

And I have a higher income now than I did when I was working. My beneficiaries will be very happy to see me go... :lol:
Same here make about three times today what I made working my business, retirement is great!