can't get wireless router to work on new laptop

CRHS89

I went through the whole set up and at the end it said it was good to go, but when I unhooked the cable going between the laptop and router, the connection was lost. I completed the set up process 3 more times...same result each time. I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Mongo53

I went through the whole set up and at the end it said it was good to go, but when I unhooked the cable going between the laptop and router, the connection was lost. I completed the set up process 3 more times...same result each time. I don't know what to do. Any ideas?
You are connecting your computer to your wireless router with a Ethernet cable, performing the setup, then disconnecting the Ethernet cable and then trying to connect with wireless?

Or are you doing something different.

Can you see the SSID on your laptop, with your wireless setup software when trying to connect to the router?

The router brand/model and laptop brand/model would help also.

BOP

Did you set up the wireless network adapters while it was hooked up? What about after you disconnected?

It used to be that most wireless networks required that a machine be physically hooked up to the network, at least until the wireless machines are installed on the network. I don't know if that's still true, and I'm not sure what the logic was behind it, other than the wired computer acted like a base station for the wireless telephones does.

That's probably not a lot of help. I've really gotten away from doinking with computers in the last few years. It's one of those fields where, if you don't stay somewhat current with technology, you can get left behind really quickly.

Lamini

if wired is working, then its something in your wireless setup.

Either your security settings are not correct (or your hardware does not support the wireless protocols), SSID is not matching, or your TCP/IP settings are not correct. Quick way to verify is try w/ another wifi enabled device.

GopherM

Darwin was right
Have you tried deleting your current connection and without connecting the ethernet cable simply go into Networks & Connections and Create a New Connection. If the WiFi is turned on at the computer it should just be a matter of performing the steps provided and connecting directly through the wireless router without ever having to connect a cable to the computer.

CRHS89

Have you tried deleting your current connection and without connecting the ethernet cable simply go into Networks & Connections and Create a New Connection. If the WiFi is turned on at the computer it should just be a matter of performing the steps provided and connecting directly through the wireless router without ever having to connect a cable to the computer.

Thanks! This did the trick.