Can't pay? Just walk away

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's gonna...

Inventory remains high in our area and we’re not even in the “selling season”.

...suck into '09 because building just started slowing last year, so that has to sell as projections finish, there will be some further depression if illegals leave in significant numbers as these people live somewhere, even if it's a rental. They'll be leaving someone who has a mortgage with no tenant.

But, BUT, people are buying. People are refinancing. Not everyone has zero equity. Not everyone wants to move for what amounts to a temporary problem. As you linked the other day, some of the business is people walking away from the one their in, across the street into the same basic house for $100,000 less at new rates, fixed rates, around 5%.

Real estate is going to be a good buy later this year into next as the bottom is hit and we start back up.

As you say; it's inventory. Supply and demand.

somdrenter

Sorry, I'm not Patch...
Real estate gambling knows no party. Everyone in DC is in favor of this stupid stimuli plan AND in support of bailing each other and their buddies out on those Vegas condo's they're all stuck with.
Absolutely. There are votes to be had and folks with their hand out. Of course, it does not matter to these folks that this package/bailout will probably just make things worse.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...take that bet. Real estate gambling knows no party. Everyone in DC is in favor of this stupid stimuli plan AND in support of bailing each other and their buddies out on those Vegas condo's they're all stuck with.

You missed my point.

All this economic hysteria is very similar to the homelessness hysteria when Bush I was Prez.

The fact is, it's not that bad. And the part that IS bad is the buyer's own fault. But the media picked it up like Summer of the Shark to take a poke at Bush and his "mishandling" of the economy.

Once a new (Democrat) President, takes office, watch how all of a sudden the economy is booming and the housing industry is just peachy.

Watch and see.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Did I?

You missed my point.

All this economic hysteria is very similar to the homelessness hysteria when Bush I was Prez.

The fact is, it's not that bad. And the part that IS bad is the buyer's own fault. But the media picked it up like Summer of the Shark to take a poke at Bush and his "mishandling" of the economy.

Once a new (Democrat) President, takes office, watch how all of a sudden the economy is booming and the housing industry is just peachy.

Watch and see.

People are losing their azz in housing. It is real. It is not made up absurd exaggerations like 3,000,000 homeless dying a year.

I mean, I guess we could define what 'bad' is, but we're dealing with rich and powerful people who will sell a million dollars worth of stock and put someone out of business if it loses 5%.

I think you are right though if we're talking about spin. It will be 'housing crisis help on the way with O'Hillary!'. But it won't be that it's peachy, but that help is coming for the real estate gamblers.

somdrenter

Sorry, I'm not Patch...
Sure Larry.

Real estate is going to be a good buy later this year into next as the bottom is hit and we start back up.

As you say; it's inventory. Supply and demand.

Now that lending standards have tightened and the catalyst for the housing run up has been removed, what will step in during next six months to prop up prices?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Next six...

Now that lending standards have tightened and the catalyst for the housing run up has been removed, what will step in during next six months to prop up prices?

...months, maybe nothing much, but houses ARE selling. I mean, a 5-10% lower price from two years ago, it sucks for the seller, but, in any kind of decent market, that will come back in 5 years or less.

somdrenter

Sorry, I'm not Patch...
...months, maybe nothing much, but houses ARE selling. I mean, a 5-10% lower price from two years ago, it sucks for the seller, but, in any kind of decent market, that will come back in 5 years or less.
Now that lending standards have tightened and the catalyst for the housing run up has been removed, what will step in to prop up prices?

Saint Marys County, MD

Total Sold Dollar Volume: $ 21,522,006 - 44.12 %
Average Sold Price: $ 316,500 - 13.71 %
Median Sold Price: $ 294,450 - 15.41 %
Total Units Sold: 68 - 35.24 %

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm curious, Renter, what your motive is in posting this flood of doom and gloom stories. Are you trying to talk people out of homeownership? Do you think NOBODY can afford a home?

What is the point of all this, or is there one at all?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If I say...

Now that lending standards have tightened and the catalyst for the housing run up has been removed, what will step in to prop up prices?

Saint Marys County, MD

Total Sold Dollar Volume: $ 21,522,006 - 44.12 %
Average Sold Price: $ 316,500 - 13.71 %
Median Sold Price: $ 294,450 - 15.41 %
Total Units Sold: 68 - 35.24 %

...we're all gonna die and there is no escape, will you come back with something saying it's worse than that?

somdrenter

Sorry, I'm not Patch...
Oh stop. TV news people can find an "expert" who will insist that grass is purple. It doesn't mean it is.

Maybe you'd have more credibility if you were a little less one-sided.
:killingme

Yea, Robert Shiller is just some joe on the street right??:sarcasm:

somdrenter

Sorry, I'm not Patch...
...we're all gonna die and there is no escape, will you come back with something saying it's worse than that?
Sorry to disappoint Larry, but we’ll be just fine. Well, it may take some time. I was just posting some numbers to counter your previous statements. But, have it your way. Here..let me try…..How about….”nanny nanny booboo”?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I said...

Sorry to disappoint Larry, but we’ll be just fine. Well, it may take some time. I was just posting some numbers to counter your previous statements. But, have it your way. Here..let me try…..How about….”nanny nanny booboo”?

...10% you came back with 15. What is this, an auction? I could find some numbers showing it's only off 5% and some off 50%. What is the underlying point we're debating?

somdrenter

Sorry, I'm not Patch...
...10% you came back with 15. What is this, an auction? I could find some numbers showing it's only off 5% and some off 50%. What is the underlying point we're debating?
No debate. If you answer this: "Now that lending standards have tightened and the catalyst for the housing run up has been removed, what will step in to prop up prices?" We may have one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Darlin, the one that’s been right for the last 12 months.

I can give you more examples of homeowners who are not in danger of losing their homes that you can give of those who are.

So who's right?

The market is slow right now because people are afraid. And they're afraid because the media has blown this out of proportion and turned it into a crisis. Normally a mortgage broker would go bankrupt and it wouldn't even make the news. But because of the media vultures, now it's a catastrophe of colossal proportion and we're all going to be wearing a barrel and eating government cheese.

Who do you, personally, know who has lost their home? You must know people who own - so how many of them are in trouble?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wasn't the...

No debate. If you answer this: "Now that lending standards have tightened and the catalyst for the housing run up has been removed, what will step in to prop up prices?" We may have one.

...catalyst demand? Isn't the problem excess supply?

Didn't I mention that?