Capital punishment

frequentflier

happy to be living
For those who think capital punishment should be abolished-you'd change your outlook IF you were a victim of crime-trust me!:yay:

My brother was murdered. He was a good person and was at the wrong place at the wrong time. His life wasn't worth spit to the scumbags that robbed him and shot him in the back.
He left behind a young daughter with MD and a wife. It changed our family forever.
Anybody that objects to capital punishment has probably never lost anyone close to them in this manner.
With today's technology, if someone is found guilty of murder, they should take them outside and string them up....I have no pity for the thugs sitting in prison that commit such crimes and I lose my patience with their demand for their "rights"

Queenofdenile1

Love is Blind
Do you think that we should abolish capital punishment (i.e. death penalty) because we have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Or do you think that capital punishment is needed and a necessity for some of the people in jail?

I have been sitting here trying to think of a good, logical reason why to abolish the death penalty. The only reason I could come up with is to give the person a second chance, but why should they deserve a second chance if they committed the crime? The person they murdered doesn't get a second chance at life! I say "put all the murdering lowlifes out of their misery and ours"!!!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I am...

I have been sitting here trying to think of a good, logical reason why to abolish the death penalty. The only reason I could come up with is to give the person a second chance, but why should they deserve a second chance if they committed the crime? The person they murdered doesn't get a second chance at life! I say "put all the murdering lowlifes out of their misery and ours"!!!

...sensitive to concerns over bad prosecutions. The thing is, if the law has a problem, you fix the problem. The anti death penalty mindset would argue that if a social program didn't work, even one time, and actually made someones life worse, then you end the program instead of working to make it better.

Queenofdenile1

Love is Blind
...sensitive to concerns over bad prosecutions. The thing is, if the law has a problem, you fix the problem. The anti death penalty mindset would argue that if a social program didn't work, even one time, and actually made someones life worse, then you end the program instead of working to make it better.

Agreed. It takes a lot of funds to come up with social programs to reform these criminals/murderers and no guarantee this will happen. Even still, it is so heartwrenching to me to think of the innocent people who have been murdered, regardless of how it was done, and after so many years they get out of prison and walk among society. Yet, I can't imagine their life will ever be the same and will have "murderer" branded on them for life. What comes to mind for me is that boy who was beat to death about 3 years ago at Good Times. I didn't know him but how could people be so cruel!!!

PsyOps

Pixelated
The thing is, if the law has a problem, you fix the problem.

I find this a bit inconsistent with what you wrote here:

And as an American citizen in a free country, you should be free to do as you please within reason.

Is your solution to fixing the problem with laws doing what you please within reason, even though it means breaking the law, or do you take action to get the law changed?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If someone...

I find this a bit inconsistent with what you wrote here:

Is your solution to fixing the problem with laws doing what you please within reason, even though it means breaking the law, or do you take action to get the law changed?

...got convicted to death and mitigating evidence was excluded, you address why the evidence was excluded. And fix it.

'Within reason' is code for THE LAW which is based, or is supposed to be, on the constitution which is based on the premise of pursuing life, liberty and happiness right up to the point where it is threatening someone else's life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

'Within reason' gets decided by courts and juries when someone feels someone else went too far.

PsyOps

Pixelated
If someone got convicted to death and mitigating evidence was excluded, you address why the evidence was excluded. And fix it.

'Within reason' is code for THE LAW which is based, or is supposed to be, on the constitution which is based on the premise of pursuing life, liberty and happiness right up to the point where it is threatening someone else's life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

'Within reason' gets decided by courts and juries when someone feels someone else went too far.

I did not interpret any "code" in your statement. I'm glad you clarified as change the law, don't break it because you have your own interpretation of what "within reason" means. At least I hope that's you meant it.

D

doubt_me

The ideal of executions maximizing public safety through incapacitation and deterrence explains that such a punishment as the death penalty would keep callous and dangerous murderers from roaming the streets with children and innocents. It would serve to "scare" criminals into not committing their crime for fear of the ultimate punishment.

jetmonkey

Do you think that we should abolish capital punishment (i.e. death penalty) because we have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Or do you think that capital punishment is needed and a necessity for some of the people in jail?
Neither, only post. :coffee:

ImnoMensa

I believe keeping convicted criminals from receiving their death sentence for 14 years is cruel and unusual punishment. The sentence should be carried with 6 months of the conviction and automatic appeal.