car stuff

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, that was last night just after the service department had closed. Put it in a spot between the dealership and the hotel near the back. Figured to go in tomorrow AM when they opened and discuss things. But changed that plan, the parking lot I changed the pump in was the dealership lot. :) Dodge made it pretty easy, pop up the back seat, one flap of insulation, pop out plastic plug, top of the tank is there. Tools needed were a screwdriver and a hammer.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Yep, that was last night just after the service department had closed. Put it in a spot between the dealership and the hotel near the back. Figured to go in tomorrow AM when they opened and discuss things. But changed that plan, the parking lot I changed the pump in was the dealership lot. :) Dodge made it pretty easy, pop up the back seat, one flap of insulation, pop out plastic plug, top of the tank is there. Tools needed were a screwdriver and a hammer.

:yay:

DannyMotorcycle

I think the bluetooth connectors are down to $12 and less on ebay. I love mine. everyone should own one, saves you time and gas to drive to Autozone or whatever
or buying a reader tool.. plus you can view other info in your car like rpms, and MPH while you're driving.

pelers

I think I'm just going to stick you in my trunk and carry you around with me just in case.

FED_UP

I would have gotten a second estimate from another place, then I would have been able to determine if they are trying to fugg me. I would not go back.

Agee

You have a Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler? Those, you can get the codes with nothing more than your key. they have a backdoor, been in the systems ever since they invented codes, back in the 80s.

Have this in the Jeep, three cycles on and off without turning the motor over, code shows on the odometer. Realize though, that only one code shows-up, could be more in the string.

And yes, $590.00 for a sensor, questionable...

glhs837

Power with Control
Have this in the Jeep, three cycles on and off without turning the motor over, code shows on the odometer. Realize though, that only one code shows-up, could be more in the string.

And yes, $590.00 for a sensor, questionable...

If there is more than one code, as I recall, it cycles through them.

bilbur

Since you all are talking car talk, I have a situation for you
I take my truck to a small locally owned shop in St. Marys. I've been going there for many years for oil changes and repairs and the like. Probably close to 18 years, several different cars. I'm not a car person, they've always been very nice to me and I have no problems with their work.
Recently my truck had the check engine light come on and I took it in to find out why. It was the fuel sensor, $91 to find that out. OK. So they gave me an estimate of around $950 [minus the $91 already paid] to replace it. They were charging $290 for labor and $582 for the part, plus a supply charge of $48 and tax and stuff to make it around $950. Anyway I have a extended warranty on the truck so the company called the shop and I just had to pay the deductible. When I looked at the bill the part was reduced to $285 the labor to $180 and the supply fee to $20. So the bill went from $850 [$91 was for the computer stuff] to around $500.
So now I'm feeling icky about going back, when I have the chance I'll probably stop over there and find out why the big difference. Is this normal for a shop to greatly reduce the price if there is a extended warranty involved? Because it has really made me wonder about all the other repairs they've done over the years.

Just a thought but when they quoted you the price maybe they quoted high just to cover themselves if things went over. It might not have taken as long to replace or they could have had the part in stock and not known it. The other possible explanation is maybe the warranty place has a standard for what they will pay like the insurance companies do. The insurance companies say they will pay a certain amount for a checkup and a certain amount for a broken arm etc... I would take the bill in and ask, of course if they were trying to screw you they probably would just tell you a lie about the discrepancy.

morningrain

Your extended warranty company sets the price for the repair that they will pay. I worked in a repair shop and we did not deal with extended warranties for just this reason. What they are willing to pay does not usually cover the cost of the repair at most shops. We would at times work for an extended warranty company if it was one of our existing long time customers and just accept the payment. I am sure the shop most likely lost money on that repair. Every shop marks up the part and of course changes labor based on book time, Each shops mark up and labor is different because every one has a different overhead and employee cost to cover before profit kicks in.

BOP

You always need a hammer to fix a car.

BOP

Your extended warranty company sets the price for the repair that they will pay. I worked in a repair shop and we did not deal with extended warranties for just this reason. What they are willing to pay does not usually cover the cost of the repair at most shops. We would at times work for an extended warranty company if it was one of our existing long time customers and just accept the payment. I am sure the shop most likely lost money on that repair. Every shop marks up the part and of course changes labor based on book time, Each shops mark up and labor is different because every one has a different overhead and employee cost to cover before profit kicks in.

Found that out the hard way. Fortunately for our customer, she was a loyal, long-time customer because we lost a ton of money on that job, and not just in terms of being underpaid by the warranty company.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You have a Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler? Those, you can get the codes with nothing more than your key. they have a backdoor, been in the systems ever since they invented codes, back in the 80s.

KOKO x3
.... check engine light flashes
..... did that for years working on moms 88 voyager