Cardioversion

OldHillcrestGuy

Has anyone ever had this procedure done? Ive had a problem now for about 18 months where my heart gets out of rhythm, when it first occured ended up in the hospital for 2 days, heart was beating 160-190 beats when I arrived at the ER. Doctor put me on meds and for the past 18 months been doing pretty good, except when its time for follow-up visits, seems Im in A-fib around 110 beats a minute. Most of the times when my heart is beating irregular I can't tell it is. Well now my Cardiologist is sending me to another doctor for the cardioversion.
Just curious Ive anyone else has ever gone for shocking method.

Last edited:
Have you been on meds to reduce the rate? My doc prescribed Toprol XL in an attempt to get my BP down, turns out it's main function is to suppress adrenaline. Took my 90-100 pulse rate down to 65. So I take that with Diovan and things are pretty normal.

Edit: And no, sorry, never had a procedure like that done. Sounds........ shocking.

Happygirl

Walking for a cure!!
My aunt had it done, maybe 7 years ago. They placed a pad on her back and one on her chest, she literally had burns where both the pads were (about 4" x 6" if I remember right) I can't remember is she was awake or not. But the procedure worked and she no longer had the a-fib. Straight aloe Vera gel for a day or two soothed the burns.

OldHillcrestGuy

Have you been on meds to reduce the rate? My doc prescribed Toprol XL in an attempt to get my BP down, turns out it's main function is to suppress adrenaline. Took my 90-100 pulse rate down to 65. So I take that with Diovan and things are pretty normal.

Edit: And no, sorry, never had a procedure like that done. Sounds........ shocking.

Ive been on metoprolol for about 18 months along with digoxin and recently warfarin and losartan. Use to be always around 120/80 person but now its like 150/90.

Once I have this procedure and hopefully it works and controls the beat, Ill be glad to start feeling better, always fatigued and short on breath, which are to of the sympthons of Afib.

belvak

Happy Camper
Ive been on metoprolol for about 18 months along with digoxin and recently warfarin and losartan. Use to be always around 120/80 person but now its like 150/90.

Once I have this procedure and hopefully it works and controls the beat, Ill be glad to start feeling better, always fatigued and short on breath, which are to of the sympthons of Afib.

I don't know anything about the procedure, but :huggy:

Envoy1941

I've had the cardioversion

About a year ago I had TEE Cardioversion performed in St. Mary's Hospital. Read Cardioversion and Heart Disease on the Web Article Link http:/www.webmd.com/heart-disease-cardioversion.
I also was in A-fib, and meds did not correct the problem. After haveing cardioversion, I've had to remain on meds to control but A-fib corrected.
I needed to be shocked 3 times, and ended up with red burn marks on chest, about like a mild sun burn. You are sedated during the treatment and recovery is very rapid. After having the treatment, I have more energy, lost weight, and now enjoy life again. Good luck and don't worry many have had the same treatment.

OldHillcrestGuy

About a year ago I had TEE Cardioversion performed in St. Mary's Hospital. Read Cardioversion and Heart Disease on the Web Article Link http:/www.webmd.com/heart-disease-cardioversion.
I also was in A-fib, and meds did not correct the problem. After haveing cardioversion, I've had to remain on meds to control but A-fib corrected.
I needed to be shocked 3 times, and ended up with red burn marks on chest, about like a mild sun burn. You are sedated during the treatment and recovery is very rapid. After having the treatment, I have more energy, lost weight, and now enjoy life again. Good luck and don't worry many have had the same treatment.

I sure could use the energy boost, Ive really been tired for sometime now. This isnt the only medical problem Ive been dealing with, in October went to the dermatologist, routine 6 month checkup and the doc finds area on my leg that he cuts out and sent away, came back melanoma, so back to him to cut a bigger area out, believe they got it all, but wants me to see eye doctor and oncologist(cancer doc). Ive seen them both now, eyes are ok, oncologist doesnt seem to think there is any problems, but sends me for a PET CT, went today, this scan checks for cancer anywhere in your body hopefully it comes back clean.

Meanwhile Ive been going to therapy for almost a year now with a pinched nerve in the lower back upper leg (sciatic) that just does want to go away.

Hell getting old.

NevadaBob

Has anyone ever had this procedure done? Ive had a problem now for about 18 months where my heart gets out of rhythm, when it first occured ended up in the hospital for 2 days, heart was beating 160-190 beats when I arrived at the ER. Doctor put me on meds and for the past 18 months been doing pretty good, except when its time for follow-up visits, seems Im in A-fib around 110 beats a minute. Most of the times when my heart is beating irregular I can't tell it is. Well now my Cardiologist is sending me to another doctor for the cardioversion.

I have had 11 cardioversions in the past 10 years or so. It works every time for me, but eventually I go into atrial fibrillation again. In fact, I noticed I got very tired when I took out the garbage yesterday and when I checked my pulse, I was fibrillating. I guess I'll have to call my cardiologist on Monday to schedule another jolt.

The procedure is fairly simple, and you won't feel a thing except for some residual soreness afterwards. They hook you up to an ekg machine, then either attach connectors for the defibrillator leads or use the paddles (depending on the preference of the cardiologist). You will be under general anaesthesia, so the process seems to take no time at all. You close your eyes, and when you open them again you will be in sinus rhythm. There is usually some slight irritation of the skin, similar to a sunburn, where the defibrillator leads are attached and your chest muscles may be sore for a day or two because of the sudden contraction, but it's not bad.

Only once in my 11 cardioversions did the cardiologist hit the voltage before I was 100% under the anaesthesia, and it was like getting hit by a truck. You definitely want to be completely anaesthetized. As long as the anaesthetist and the cardiologist know what they are doing, it is not unpleasant.

I hope your procedure goes well and that your fibrillation does not recur. In my case, it comes back after a few months and my cardiologist says there may come a day when cardioversion will no longer work on me and I will just have to live with the arrhythmia and its consequences. We shall see, I guess.

Good luck!

No, but why not a pacemaker, or whatever they are called?

OldHillcrestGuy

I have had 11 cardioversions in the past 10 years or so. It works every time for me, but eventually I go into atrial fibrillation again. In fact, I noticed I got very tired when I took out the garbage yesterday and when I checked my pulse, I was fibrillating. I guess I'll have to call my cardiologist on Monday to schedule another jolt.

The procedure is fairly simple, and you won't feel a thing except for some residual soreness afterwards. They hook you up to an ekg machine, then either attach connectors for the defibrillator leads or use the paddles (depending on the preference of the cardiologist). You will be under general anaesthesia, so the process seems to take no time at all. You close your eyes, and when you open them again you will be in sinus rhythm. There is usually some slight irritation of the skin, similar to a sunburn, where the defibrillator leads are attached and your chest muscles may be sore for a day or two because of the sudden contraction, but it's not bad.

Only once in my 11 cardioversions did the cardiologist hit the voltage before I was 100% under the anaesthesia, and it was like getting hit by a truck. You definitely want to be completely anaesthetized. As long as the anaesthetist and the cardiologist know what they are doing, it is not unpleasant.

I hope your procedure goes well and that your fibrillation does not recur. In my case, it comes back after a few months and my cardiologist says there may come a day when cardioversion will no longer work on me and I will just have to live with the arrhythmia and its consequences. We shall see, I guess. Good Luck
Holy Smokes, I hope I dont have to be shocked as many times as you have. I went and saw the other cardiologist, the one who will do the shocking if needed. He's changed a couple of my meds, in hopes of getting the rhythm to correct itself and I go back in about 3 weeks. If Im still beating fast it looks like its going to be shock time. He took me off coumadin and put me on a new drug thats only been approved since the end of October, its called pradaxa and has absolutly no restrictions as to what you should not eat like coumadin has and you dont have to keep checking your blood with pt tests.
A pacemaker has never been mentioned, the third thing they do if meds and shocking doesnt do the trick, they go up through the groin and into the heart and corristize the little electrical impulses in your heart which are causing the heart to misfire. This is a last resort and both of my cardiologist say this is something they arent fond of doing, cause it can lead to other problems.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I've performe the procedure twice. If you're really phycially debilitated even with all the medications you're on, it's worth a shot. No everyone responds on the first shock. Some want to have a dose of Diazepam on board to take the edge off the anxiety.