Carmax...opinions?

Hessian

Had my first visit there yesterday.
Liked the set up, the no pressure...hopefully asked the right questions.

Any buyers who have used Carmax before?
Getting close to sealing a deal,...it seems VERY odd not negotiating.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I bought my "first" vehicle with them back in CT right after I graduated college. (2010?) As someone who has never been, nor ever will be familiar with cars, it was a great, super-easy process. They took care of everything for you and my dad came in last minute to double-check. They were super patient, went over every little detail (twice) and even tagged and titled it right there for me for a couple extra bucks. I got my '08 Ford Escape for right at the KBB value and the people we worked with were awesome. However, I found out a couple years later, the previous owner wasn't a private owner like I'd been led to believe but a rental with Enterprise. I'm sure had I read the fine print I'd have seen it but I distinctly remember the guy telling me and my father it was a private owner. Clearly that term can be flexible. My bad, I'm sure on that.

Second time around, since that transmission recently died on me, I was thinking I'd go with CarMax again, especially since my dad is still in CT and wouldn't be around to see cars with me, but I decided against it. Down here in the DC/N.VA/MD area, you have SO many dealerships to deal with that I found better deals elsewhere. Also, I'd heard from a couple acquaintances that the people at the new Brandywine CarMax weren't super helpful.

I ended up using this AWESOME service with USAA (my car insurance since day 1) that helped me find my car. I think it's just called USAA Car Buying Service. Easy search tools, helps find you USAA Certified Dealers for test drives, and gives you a savings certificate...something about ensuring that you're paying the right price for the vehicle, nothing over that the dealer can try and swindle you into. Since I didn't go with CarMax this time around, it was all super helpful. It also offers some discounts on certain manufacturers too.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Do your homework and see if the deal is good. I like searching autotrader.com to see what vehicles are selling for. From there, I find a vehicle I like at a dealership that sells the vehicle I'm interested in. If I want a Honda, I will buy from a Honda dealer. If I want a Toyota, I will buy from a Toyota dealer.

FED_UP

Used Carmax twice, never had a problem.

tommyjo

Do your homework and see if the deal is good. I like searching autotrader.com to see what vehicles are selling for. From there, I find a vehicle I like at a dealership that sells the vehicle I'm interested in. If I want a Honda, I will buy from a Honda dealer. If I want a Toyota, I will buy from a Toyota dealer.

Yeah that...unless you are looking for an older model that doesn't qualify for Certified status.

Buyer's services from credit unions don't negotiate in your favor (they need to get paid for the referral...they aren't offering the "service" for free after all). You'll get a better price using autotrader or cars.com and just being patient. Cars are commodities today...the prices are readily available online. Negotiating for a car isn't what it used to be. Do some research.

Hannibal

I've had a couple friends who worked there for a time and have some friends/family who have bought there. Most recently, my father bought a 2012/13 (?) 4Runner and he loves it.

I think they do a VERY good job weeding through and picking out the best used cars to put on their lot. I've yet to hear of anyone getting their hands on a lemon or purchasing a problem vehicle. They cars are carefully screened and reconditioned to like new standards. When you buy from them, you are getting one of the better vehicles in terms of "used". I believe their scrutiny and conditioning process far exceeds a used car dealership.

With that, you do pay for it. You aren't going to find a "steal". Everything is clearly priced and they do not haggle. That's good for some but not others. I am on the fence as I like to bargain but there is a bit of peice of mind knowing that by buying with Carmax - you can have more comfort in knowing you are buying a quality vehicle whereas a dealer might be turning over a POS to get it off its lot even if it cut you a below KBB price.

Do your research. If you can show them KBB/NADA/other values - they might meet you at that number. But don't look for somehting seveal thousand under market price. It never hurts to ask.

They are also a good place to visit if looking to sell. They do not take on cars that have been modified or heavily "used". But they do offer a strong price and do so in a pretty painless manner.

idiganthro

My husband worked at Carmax part time for a few years while he was active duty. He loved how they worked, and the way they pay commissions it doesn't make a difference if a salesman sells you a Mercedes or a VW, so no need to pressure people. We also purchased a couple cars through them with no problems and an easy process. I'd recommend it, however, I'd also do my due diligence and research. Buying a car in any case makes me nervous!!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
However, I found out a couple years later, the previous owner wasn't a private owner like I'd been led to believe but a rental with Enterprise.

that sucks ...... however Enterprise is a fine place to buy a used vehicle from .....

highway miles, balance of the manufacturers warranty

indeed vehicles are usually over the national average or 12k for the age of the vehicle, but they are well maintained

Erk

I've bought 6 cars from them over the years, I like the whole 'you get what you see for the price stated' approach. The sales people use the same website you can surf cars on. No tricks no gimmicks. It's the only place I get cars from. Glad there is one closer now (I've bought in Laural, Dulles and Richmond before).

MMDad

Lem Putt
Bought one car from them. It was a fair deal, and there were no hidden surprises. I'm sure I could have gotten it for less from a private seller, but that has it's own risks. I may have negotiated a better deal from a traditional dealer, but I liked that I didn't have to wonder if I could have talked them down more.

Goob

We bought and sold a car with them in 2007. Other than the strong Extended Warranty sales pitch, I don't have any complaints and I would certainly consider CarMax again.

Homer J

Power Chord
I bought a used Chrysler Pacifica from the one in Fredricksburg a few years ago. I got, what I thought, was a good deal. I should have done more research on the car before I bought. It turned out to be a lemon but that wasn't CarMax's fault. Some of them even have new car franchises. I bought a new Nissan Pathfinder from the one in White Marsh two years ago. Traded in the POS Pacifica. I'd buy from them again.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
that sucks ...... however Enterprise is a fine place to buy a used vehicle from .....

indeed vehicles are usually over the national average or 12k for the age of the vehicle, but they are well maintained

Leary of buying from a car rental place. People are not nice to rentals.

Catman2

I bought 2 new Tacomas from Laurel CM. Then I wised up and met Steve Thompson @ Bayside Toyota....he will meet and beat ANY CM new price. ( a noooo brainer)

RPMDAD

I bought 2 new Tacomas from Laurel CM. Then I wised up and met Steve Thompson @ Bayside Toyota....he will meet and beat ANY CM new price. ( a noooo brainer)

Know Steve personally, he is a neighbor of mine, great guy. We have purchased 3 vehicles from Bayside, and have been very happy.

Hessian

Yeah,...we have to buy "pre-owned" (college is still being paid for---Junior year for the kid). So I was hoping to pull out my AAA and get a few bucks off but it sounds like that isn't an option. I know State Farm also offers some discount...is that a waste of time?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Leary of buying from a car rental place. People are not nice to rentals.

I am going to have to disagree ....
.... IMHO the majority of rentals get driven fine
..... I would be surprised if 1 in 10 drivers in that abusive
besides the renters don't have it long enough ....

at least once a week, I red line my 1995 Saturn going through the gears getting on the beltway
... 209,000 miles later
... still runs great

original motor 2nd trans
.... the car has been in out family since 98,000

my mom got a Chrysler T&C mini van ... 18 months old 38,000 miles, it has been a peach to drive ....
the gremlins in the side doors have nothing to do with the fact it was a rental ....

acommondisaster

I don't know about that - when I was in the military, we used to rent a LOT of cars - sometimes 15 - 20 a week. The motto was generally "no curb too high, no pothole too deep" and I do know how we abused them. It would take an incredible deal to get me to knowingly buy a rental car.

Unrelated - I've noticed that most Carmax cars are fully loaded; hard to find a "base model". Is that the case or am I just imagining it?