Catholic school education..........

Bavarian

sockgirl77 said:
I moved from MD 6 months ago. But while I was there, they did not travel. They were at several of the churhes. I have friends who have kids at St. John's and at Little Flower. Their elementary aged kids were taught about abortion. This, is wrong. 6 year old do not need to know about it.
The Government schools are teaching them sex, contraception and homosexuality. Remember Joyclyn Elders? That is why we have to keep the Clinton's out of the White House.
Children need to know why there are so few of them now. No playmates, etc. They are members of the survivor generation.

Giantone

libby said:
Catholic schools probably offer a barely better education than their public school counterparts, but not enough of a difference to warrant the tuition. They sure as heck do nothing to teach the Catholic faith (well, at least not where I grew up, and where my nieces now attend). Can't speak for the schools here.

The Catholic schools in Charles county are very good ,I went to one for 6 years up north and it was ok ,the ones down here are very good at teaching the Catholic Faith ,they also believe that alot of the faith that children need must come from the parents the schools can only do so much. :yay:

Makavide

Not too talkative
Radiant1 said:
... If I recall correctly, the only time there is an active protest is one Saturday out of the year during pro-life week....

The Stand for Life will be October 14th this year.

Giantone

Radiant1 said:
Often enough the qualifications for educators are more lax than the public school requirements. As for the religious education component that probably varies from parish to parish. There are pluses and minuses. I've chosen to send my children to public school and give them their religious education at home and through parish CCD.

Maybe in the old days but now the teachers must be qualified and meet the same requirements as public school teachers they are held to two standards the Archdiocese of Washington and the local and State Board of Ed.I do know that public school does'nt give the teachers the freedom in teaching like the Catholic schools do.

Vince

libby said:
As for where I went to Catholic school: the northeast. A religion class was not about why Catholicism was right, true, etc. It covered many of the worlds religions. While it is necessary to know there is a world that has many beliefs and customs, my parents expected my Catholic school to teach me how to defend and live my faith. It did not.
Don't know what Catholic school you attended, but it was definitely not the right one. :shrug: I didn't even attend a Catholic school, but my parents taught me to stick up for my faith and live by the Ten Commandments. And I'm far from perfect and don't always obey the Commandments, but I keep trying.

Last edited:

Giantone

sockgirl77 said:
I intentionally have never posted my views on abortion. I just think that it is ignorant to get children involved in this crap. My grandmother who is a devout Catholic actually had a conversation with her Priest about this last year. She feels the same way I do. She was apalled when she drove through Lexington Park a few years ago and saw the kids outside of the catholic church holding the Pro Life signs.

That is the parents not the teachers doing that ..............and it's stupid and I know that has not happen here in Waldorf.

Giantone

Bavarian said:
The Government schools are teaching them sex, contraception and homosexuality. Remember Joyclyn Elders? That is why we have to keep the Clinton's out of the White House.
Children need to know why there are so few of them now. No playmates, etc. They are members of the survivor generation.

That is plan stupid. :smack:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
libby said:
Looks like we're gonna seque into a discussion about abortion. If a child attends a Catholic school, and abortion is wrong according to Catholic teaching, why should they not instruct and involve the children?
I do not ask my children if they feel "informed" enough to attend church, eat their vegetables, do their homework, etc. They are children, and a parent has the inherent right to mold them as they see fit.
I have no right to challenge your decisions (abuse notwithstanding) and vice versa.
I do hope you are just as indignant about sex ed in the public schools as you are about those children being involved in a protest. Part of being a Catholic, or lots of other faiths for that matter, means trying to influence/witness to others for the good. If a Catholic believes pro-life to be the good, then of course that is what they will stand for. I'm sure plenty of children are at NOW rallies as well.
Children are under their parents' authority until they are 18, and then they have the freedom to do as they see fit.
As for where I went to Catholic school: the northeast. A religion class was not about why Catholicism was right, true, etc. It covered many of the worlds religions. While it is necessary to know there is a world that has many beliefs and customs, my parents expected my Catholic school to teach me how to defend and live my faith. It did not.
BTW-I did qualify my earlier statement saying that I could not make judgements about the local schools.
It's called brainwashing.. do you REALLY believe if someone wrote an essay about pro-life stance, that no matter how well they did their research, or how well they wrote their paper that they would get a passing grade?? I don't htink so. You toe the line, or you fail.

Unquestionable faith, unquestionable reasoning.. unquestionable right or wrong.

Giantone

itsbob said:
It's called brainwashing.. do you REALLY believe if someone wrote an essay about pro-life stance, that no matter how well they did their research, or how well they wrote their paper that they would get a passing grade?? I don't htink so. You toe the line, or you fail.

This was a thread about Schools and education in Charles county..........."not abortion".........so take your BS to another thread.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
itsbob said:

I assume you mean a pro-abortion stance? :confused:

Are you talking from experience, or are you talking out of your ass?

Vince

itsbob said:

If you have no religion and/or faith, how can you understand what it is to believe in a God you have never seen? It's not brainwashing, it's faith in something you've never seen. Just because you don't have that faith, it doesn't mean others don't and shouldn't. It's not wrong or brainwashing for people that are Catholic, Protestant, etc. to have faith just because you don't. It's not wrong for me to teach my children to believe in God, Jesus, and the Bible just because you don't believe. I'm no Billy Graham, but I have my beliefs and someone sitting here telling me I'm brainwashed or my children have been is pure BS.

Last edited:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
itsbob said:

Sorry, but I can prove this one wrong. We had a young lady a few years back that did not want to attend the right to life rally. She wrote an essay on right to choose and received an A. It was a well written, well thought out paper.

Giantone

bresamil said:
Sorry, but I can prove this one wrong. We had a young lady a few years back that did not want to attend the right to life rally. She wrote an essay on right to choose and received an A. It was a well written, well thought out paper.

Good Post ,I must agree here.My daughter had to debate both pro's and con's this was while in high school and she also recieved an A.