Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Sprint/Nextel

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johnjrval424

I did a search to see what everyone has said about cell phone service here in Southern Maryland (specifically, Calvert County/Prince Frederick). It looked like a few people had Verizon but I didn't see much of anything else.

I currently have Verizon and would be willing to take an early termination fee to get out of my contract. I've been less than happy with their service lately and would also like another phone (one that actually holds a charge - I've had the battery replaced twice in mine in a year).

So, who does everyone have and how would you rate their service and coverage?

S

shiki

Att

I have had ATT/Cingular for close to 10 years and I have always had excellent coverage, better than any other carrier that my friends or family has. The only place I seem to get no bars is when I'm near or crossing the Solomons bridge Nextel is the worst. Since ATT took over Cingular the customer service is much improved.

johnjrval424

I have had ATT/Cingular for close to 10 years and I have always had excellent coverage, better than any other carrier that my friends or family has. The only place I seem to get no bars is when I'm near or crossing the Solomons bridge Nextel is the worst. Since ATT took over Cingular the customer service is much improved.

I'm actually leaning towards AT&T because they do the rollover minutes. There are several months in a year that we don't use all of our minutes (but use enough that we can't downgrade our plan). To be able to roll over unused minutes would eventually allow us to downgrade our plan and maybe save some money.

As a side note, I also appreciate the legislation passed regarding early termination fees. For those of you not familiar, the cell phone companies now have to pro-rate early termination fees for customers after May, 2008. Verizon ordinarily charges $175 but now they reduce that by $5.00 per month you are into your contract.

S

shiki

I'm actually leaning towards AT&T because they do the rollover minutes. There are several months in a year that we don't use all of our minutes (but use enough that we can't downgrade our plan). To be able to roll over unused minutes would eventually allow us to downgrade our plan and maybe save some money.

As a side note, I also appreciate the legislation passed regarding early termination fees. For those of you not familiar, the cell phone companies now have to pro-rate early termination fees for customers after May, 2008. Verizon ordinarily charges $175 but now they reduce that by $5.00 per month you are into your contract.

Rollover is sweet. Plus that calls to other cingular is unlimited at no charge.

And with Cingular I have never been roaming.

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I did a search to see what everyone has said about cell phone service here in Southern Maryland (specifically, Calvert County/Prince Frederick). It looked like a few people had Verizon but I didn't see much of anything else.

I currently have Verizon and would be willing to take an early termination fee to get out of my contract. I've been less than happy with their service lately and would also like another phone (one that actually holds a charge - I've had the battery replaced twice in mine in a year).

So, who does everyone have and how would you rate their service and coverage?

I have had Verizon forever and not once had a problem with any battery in any phone. I have never had roaming and my service has been very good. I have never been given any reason to switch companies.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I used to have Verizon Wireless and had dropped calls. Switched to Sprint about a year ago and have had better results. Dropped calls might have been due to phone though and not the service as I had Verizon for over 10 yrs with not many complaints.

johnjrval424

I have had Verizon forever and not once had a problem with any battery in any phone. I have never had roaming and my service has been very good. I have never been given any reason to switch companies.

Husband and I have identical phones (Motorola) and we have BOTH had to have the batteries replaced at least twice. They wouldn't hold a charge for more than 2 hours. Even the reps at Verizon Wireless store in PF said it was very strange but still gave us grief about replacing them. We took them in there fully charged and while we waited our required 45 minutes for customer service/tech help, the batteries were just short of dead.

I want something a little more reliable. Also, Verizon's "New Every Two" plan is a ripoff. Only the primary phone is eligible for replacement (so, because my husband and I are on a family plan, his isn't eligible) and then they only give you up to $100 if your plan has been more than $79.99 a month, which ours is - just barely.

Husband and I have identical phones (Motorola) and we have BOTH had to have the batteries replaced at least twice. They wouldn't hold a charge for more than 2 hours. Even the reps at Verizon Wireless store in PF said it was very strange but still gave us grief about replacing them. We took them in there fully charged and while we waited our required 45 minutes for customer service/tech help, the batteries were just short of dead.

I want something a little more reliable. Also, Verizon's "New Every Two" plan is a ripoff. Only the primary phone is eligible for replacement (so, because my husband and I are on a family plan, his isn't eligible) and then they only give you up to $100 if your plan has been more than $79.99 a month, which ours is - just barely.

:confused:
My wife and son's phone (secondary and tertiary on the Verizon family plan) is up for renewal in March - and they get a $100 credit. My phone is the primary and I renew in June of '09, with $100 as well...

johnjrval424

:confused:
My wife and son's phone (secondary and tertiary on the Verizon family plan) is up for renewal in March - and they get a $100 credit. My phone is the primary and I renew in June of '09, with $100 as well...

:confused: How do you have different renewal dates on a family plan?

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome

I have had LG phones for my last 2 and a Samsung before that. I have had no problems getting a new phone before the 2 years was even up, with no conditions. This last phone I got was 2 months before my last 2 yr. contract was even over.

johnjrval424

I have had LG phones for my last 2 and a Samsung before that. I have had no problems getting a new phone before the 2 years was even up, with no conditions. This last phone I got was 2 months before my last 2 yr. contract was even over.

And did they give you the "ridiculously low price" on the phone or did you pay their so-called retail?

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
And did they give you the "ridiculously low price" on the phone or did you pay their so-called retail?

I don't go to the store. The store and St. Mary's location suck. I deal with Verizon by phone. I got a nice low price and love my new phone :yay:

johnjrval424

Another question - has anyone bought the "refurb" phones? They have some on the AT&T website - Blackberry Pearls for $49.99 - and just wondering if they are worth the risk?

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I deal with the Verizon kiosk inside BJs. I always get a better deal there, whether or not it is upgrade time. And there is never a line to wait in!

Friends have told me the same thing about BJ's.

There was one spot, in the mountains of Vermont, I didn't have service with my last phone. :shrug:

:confused: How do you have different renewal dates on a family plan?

My original plan was opened as a single phone under a corporate umbrella, it was a personal phone but sponsored by a company. My wife had her phone under a separate corporate sponsored plan, hers was personal as well.

When the family plans started, we merged her phone "under" my plan - my plan start date stayed the same, they just flipped it to the new family plan without a new renewal date.... At that date was the start of her renewal, but my phone as a primary has a separate renewal. If I ever broke my phone away, my wifes would be primary and her and the son's phone would be secondary.

It sounds weird, but that is the way our phones were grandfathered into the family plans... I have been with Verizon wireless for about 14 years.

Either way, we all get upgraded every 2 years. My brother has a family plan and they all upgraded with a $100 credit each this past summer (3 phones as well)