• Sprint/Nextel

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C

CalvertNewbie

I had AT&T/Cingular when I moved here last year, but I had to walk down to the end of the driveway to get my cell phone to work, so I switched to Verizon. Works much better in PF.

:yeahthat: We moved to Huntingtown (.5 miles to the PF line) almost a year ago. AT&T/Cingular has the crappiest reception in this area. We got NO service at the house.

AT&T and I spent many hours on the phone together, they went out to the tower a few times to see if there were issues at the tower, which is only 3 miles from our house. After much arguing and speaking to managers, we finally got the early termination fee waived and switched to Verizon.

So how does Verizon work here? Well...our phones actually ring now and we can even have a conversation for about 30 seconds, then the call drops. Text messaging works fine. If we go outside the phone works fine, unlike AT&T where I had to walk across the street to get a signal. Verizon works better but still not great. I guess that's what we get for moving to the woods. :lol:

Connellsville

I did a search to see what everyone has said about cell phone service here in Southern Maryland (specifically, Calvert County/Prince Frederick). It looked like a few people had Verizon but I didn't see much of anything else.

I currently have Verizon and would be willing to take an early termination fee to get out of my contract. I've been less than happy with their service lately and would also like another phone (one that actually holds a charge - I've had the battery replaced twice in mine in a year).

So, who does everyone have and how would you rate their service and coverage?
TracFone! Have had this service for over 6 years. Phone gets great local and long distance reception.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
So I'm a couple of weeks late on this one.. I have Verizon personally, and an AT&T work cell phone. My phone works in Lexington Park usually, but in Mechanicsville I have to walk outside half way across the field. And in Leonardtown it works outside in one corner of the sidewalk. The AT&T phone also has a nasty echo about 50% of the time which is very annoying.

Most of the time I just forward my AT&T cell number to the main phone number of the building I'm working in.

Verizon Wireless works indoors and outdoors at all locations.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
I did a search to see what everyone has said about cell phone service here in Southern Maryland (specifically, Calvert County/Prince Frederick). It looked like a few people had Verizon but I didn't see much of anything else.

I currently have Verizon and would be willing to take an early termination fee to get out of my contract. I've been less than happy with their service lately and would also like another phone (one that actually holds a charge - I've had the battery replaced twice in mine in a year).

So, who does everyone have and how would you rate their service and coverage?

Since you are talking about battery life, I wouldn't point fingers at one carrier. All the carriers could have a similar phone with the same issues.

I carry two phones. One is Verizon Wireless. One is Nextel (work phone). The Verizon phone is great, has a great battery life, lots of features and has super coverage. It's the LG Voyager. The Nextel stinks. The coverage is poor and the phone has very few features. It's also very different than my VW phone, such as which buttons to push to make things happen. It's hard to manipulate.

I am very happy with my Verizon phone. I would consider switching to Cingular next time around after doing some research. Why? I like the roll-over minute feature and I really like the I-Phone. That thing is awesome but is only available with Cingular.

Also, all 3 of my phones can get the 2 year upgrade. One was purchased months after the first two so the dates are different. All three are on the family plan but have different upgrade dates.

And, I have found my best deals online Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless. I found the phone I wanted. Checked it out at the VW store in Annapolis, went home and ordered it for a whole lot less. It's shipped overnight.

johnjrval424

Since you are talking about battery life, I wouldn't point fingers at one carrier. All the carriers could have a similar phone with the same issues.
I carry two phones. One is Verizon Wireless. One is Nextel (work phone). The Verizon phone is great, has a great battery life, lots of features and has super coverage. It's the LG Voyager. The Nextel stinks. The coverage is poor and the phone has very few features. It's also very different than my VW phone, such as which buttons to push to make things happen. It's hard to manipulate.

I am very happy with my Verizon phone. I would consider switching to Cingular next time around after doing some research. Why? I like the roll-over minute feature and I really like the I-Phone. That thing is awesome but is only available with Cingular.

Also, all 3 of my phones can get the 2 year upgrade. One was purchased months after the first two so the dates are different. All three are on the family plan but have different upgrade dates.

And, I have found my best deals online Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless. I found the phone I wanted. Checked it out at the VW store in Annapolis, went home and ordered it for a whole lot less. It's shipped overnight.

I realize that it pertains to the phone and not the carrier but I was unhappy about what a Verizon rep told me (by phone) that only the primary on the account was eligible for the phone upgrade. After reading on here, apparently that is not the case and I just got a dufus Verizon rep. I'll wait until my eligibility comes up in September and probably upgrade my phone to the LG or another brand OTHER than Motorola!

Dork

Highlander's MPD
I realize that it pertains to the phone and not the carrier but I was unhappy about what a Verizon rep told me (by phone) that only the primary on the account was eligible for the phone upgrade. After reading on here, apparently that is not the case and I just got a dufus Verizon rep. I'll wait until my eligibility comes up in September and probably upgrade my phone to the LG or another brand OTHER than Motorola!

I've only had my LG phone for about 6 weeks but it does seem to be nice phone. I have used the GPS feature which requires the phone to be active while using it. I was one a 5 hour trip and the battery indicator never moved. I've also used the MP3 music feature. The battery life is great, so far. Much better than my old Motorola Razor, but then again, it wasn't a bad phone either.

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict
I've only had my LG phone for about 6 weeks but it does seem to be nice phone. I have used the GPS feature which requires the phone to be active while using it. I was one a 5 hour trip and the battery indicator never moved. I've also used the MP3 music feature. The battery life is great, so far. Much better than my old Motorola Razor, but then again, it wasn't a bad phone either.

I have AT&T, I just moved here from Michigan 2 months ago, and ever since, My AT&T phones drop calls like crazy. The worst part: I am getting charged for each and every one. My last bill had 130.00 worth of dropped calls at a minute each, where my phone never rang. Thats just rediculous. And by the sounds of it, Verizon isnt much better, so what to do?

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict
Oh, and my phones are the HTC Kaiser (AT&T Tilt), Blackberry Pearl 8110 and a Sony Ericsson slider thingy my wife uses. ALL Drop calls.
Also, I think its complete crap that Verizon has the nerve to "Require" you to pay for their media pack if you buy a phone that has a WIFI card preinstalled. THat should be against the law. Isnt that a bit like extortion? My Tilt has GPS and WIFI and they dont charge that. All I want is a nice phone, and it seems the only nice ones have WIFI built in, and they want me to pay an additional 30.00 a month just because it has the chip in it. Thats complete and utter crap!

C

CalvertNewbie

I have AT&T, I just moved here from Michigan 2 months ago, and ever since, My AT&T phones drop calls like crazy. The worst part: I am getting charged for each and every one. My last bill had 130.00 worth of dropped calls at a minute each, where my phone never rang. Thats just rediculous. And by the sounds of it, Verizon isnt much better, so what to do?

Not sure where you live, we're in Huntingtown. I had posted last August about horrible service with AT&T and that we switched to Verizon, which wasn't much better. For some reason, we've been getting great reception with Verizon for a while now. Reception was always better during the winter, when there were no leaves on the trees. But our woods are now full and we have no issue using our phones indoors and out. If we didn't have a home alarm system, I'd even cancel our landline. My Mom and SIL still have AT&T and get no signal when visiting here.