Cell service

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Hey mitzi! :howdy:

My Verizon has been acting up for several days, maybe a week. Cell reception has been sheet! I figured that Verizon might be throttling back 4G service in favor of catering to the 5G crowd. My phone has been paid off for a while, so I guess I'll bite the bullet and upgrade soon. I wish you luck. You may be in the same boat. I had no reception yesterday, but my buddy standing beside me had 4-5 bars of 5G.

awpitt

Main Streeter

My Verizon has been acting up for several days, maybe a week. Cell reception has been sheet! I figured that Verizon might be throttling back 4G service in favor of catering to the 5G crowd. My phone has been paid off for a while, so I guess I'll bite the bullet and upgrade soon. I wish you luck. You may be in the same boat. I had no reception yesterday, but my buddy standing beside me had 4-5 bars of 5G.
I still have VZW 4G and have had regular signal on my five year old Note 9.

mitzi

I upgraded a year or so ago since my phone was a dinosaur. Maybe it was a fluke, I checked again not long after I posted this and it was fine.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Anyone else's cell service out?
Sorry mitzi, but I'm gonna hijack your thread since your problem is solved.

Any recommendations for another service provider other than Verizon? I'm sure they're all in cahoots with big brother, but after reading some of VZW's new policies, I feel violated. So, after being with them from the first MicroTac phone I bought back in the dark ages, I'm looking into a new provider that offers the same services. Currently I can make my phone a hotspot for connection during power outages and I have voicemail that converts to text. I also have call blocking for persistent telemarketers. Does anyone have a different carrier that offers these features and are you happy with coverage?

I've been named Executor of my late son's estate and I'm so busy with that, I don't have time to research as thoroughly as I'd like to. Thanks in advance.

wubbles

Any recommendations for another service provider other than Verizon? I'm sure they're all in cahoots with big brother, but after reading some of VZW's new policies, I feel violated. So, after being with them from the first MicroTac phone I bought back in the dark ages, I'm looking into a new provider that offers the same services. Currently I can make my phone a hotspot for connection during power outages and I have voicemail that converts to text. I also have call blocking for persistent telemarketers. Does anyone have a different carrier that offers these features and are you happy with coverage?

I've been named Executor of my late son's estate and I'm so busy with that, I don't have time to research as thoroughly as I'd like to. Thanks in advance.

Check out T-Mobile / Google Fi. Fi uses T-Mobile's network and is dramatically cheaper than Verizon and T-Mobile. I haven't used T-Mobile or Google Fi but they claim exceptional coverage in our area. https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/network

Only reason I haven't tried either is out of pure laziness if I am being honest. I would save probably $1000/year on my bill if Google Fi's marketing claims are true.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Also, check out Visible. They use VZW's network and are very inexpensive.

mitzi

Currently I can make my phone a hotspot for connection during power outages and I have voicemail that converts to text. I also have call blocking for persistent telemarketers. Does anyone have a different carrier that offers these features and are you happy with coverage?
I have these features with Straight Talk. It's pretty inexpensive compared to all the others and there's no contract, just pay monthly. All in all I'm pleased with their service. I've used them for about 9 years or so. It's worth checking out.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I have these features with Straight Talk. It's pretty inexpensive compared to all the others and there's no contract, just pay monthly. All in all I'm pleased with their service. I've used them for about 9 years or so. It's worth checking out.
They are part of Tracfone, I've been using them for almost 20 years. I use mine so infrequently that I buy a 90 minute/90 day card and it comes out to a little over $21 for the 3 months.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
They are part of Tracfone, I've been using them for almost 20 years. I use mine so infrequently that I buy a 90 minute/90 day card and it comes out to a little over $21 for the 3 months.
That's what I had set up for a neighbor lady. Hers includes so many texts and data per month which she doesn't ever use.

3CATSAILOR

Exactly right. My phone has an option for 4G or 5G. Once I noticed 4G was nothing, I changed to 5G. Boom, a great signal.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Exactly right. My phone has an option for 4G or 5G. Once I noticed 4G was nothing, I changed to 5G. Boom, a great signal.
Thank you. I just needed confirmation. After looking at my options, I may take the time to research the companies suggested here. Thanks to all who provided input. **** VZW...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
That's what I had set up for a neighbor lady. Hers includes so many texts and data per month which she doesn't ever use.
If you don't use it often it is a good deal. I also get 3X minutes/texts and they roll over. As of now I have over 3,300 minutes and 4,300 messages.

mitzi

I rarely use my data. Only if my internet is out. Occasionally if I'm out, but very rarely. I have to put the reading glasses on, too much trouble. :lmao: