Challenge of telling people where I stand

Eric

Vrem for Commissioner
Railroad said:
I'm a big proponent of the light rail solution. (What a shocker, huh? :lmao: ). I'd like to see it planned and implemented before too much development encroaches on the land available for rail right-of-ways, depots, and sidings.

I agree with you on your statement. With the current pace of growth occurring in Southern Maryland, we need to act soon if this going to occur.

R

residentofcre

WolfgangCommiss said:
Hey, your going to hurt my feelings! I am an honest guy. It is being done by the CHARLES COUNTY GOVERNMENT by the choice of the CHARLES COUNTY COMMISSIONERS. A neighborhood discovered radioactivity in its water, and upon further testing it was found to be POLONIUM, which is 5000 times more radioactive than radium, which took the life of Madame Curie, who discovered both elements. From my internet research, 6.8 TRILLIONTHS of a gram is carcinogenic. A gram is about the weight of a small paper clip.

The county could have dug another well, until they found one without polonium (the stuff is very rare) but instead chose to use a 300K filtration system that is expensive to operate to filter the water (which still leaves significant amounts in the drinking water, but below EPA standards). THEN, they will truck the radioactive waste to the Mattawoman Wastewater treatment plant, and dump it UNTREATED into the effluent stream that goes into the Potomac.

I wrote a private letter to the Commissioners giving them 15 days to reverse their decision, and telling them that I would publicly applaud them if they did the right thing. I also told them that after 15 days, I would do whatever I could to stop them, including going public, and whatever else it takes. On the 19th day, I had no response at all, so I FILED SUIT AGAINST THE COUNTY, claiming that it violates the zoning ordinance, and asking for an injunction.

Now, you did not want a link to my site, but others might, so here it is: wolfgangcommissioner.com

If you want to see the suit papers, send me your e-mail address. If you want to see the newspaper article, go to somdnews.com under Charles County news (Md. Independent) and look up polonium. The headline is something like " Commissioner Candidate Sues County Over Water Disposal"

OK, I feel vindicated now. I hope this was helpful. If you know anyone with expertise in radioactivity, please get them in contact with me. I have some experts, but the more the merrier. Hoe you believe me now, and will do something to HELP ME STOP THIS.

Kurt Wolfgang wolfgangcommissioner.com

We had a similar problem with drinking water in Calvert County. There was arsenic in the water. I tried to get them to put in a new well to get out of the arsenic pocket... but according to our water company... mixing it with all the other water is good enough...

The last tests they published showed this is working.

How much do you know about the aquifers?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Eric said:
I agree with you on your statement. With the current pace of growth occurring in Southern Maryland, we need to act soon if this going to occur.

Great! Sounds like most of our thinkers agree regarding this issue. Implementation, however, appears to be a nightmare if one looks at the whole, long-term project. The zoning issues, including the judicious use of Eminent Domain as a last resort, are some of the noisy parts of getting this done. Funding it is another problem. We've just discussed the fact that taxes are already too high (and that's true of St. Mary's, Charles, and Calvert for certain). We can figure on weak support (at best) from the state (they don't give two hoots about us down here - the great State of Maryland consists of Baltimore County, Montgomery County, and everybody else). So I guess it'd have to be a combination of investors, the counties, a little help from the state, and....? Whom?

bcp

In My Opinion
couple points of interest in here.
A bypass around waldorf would be a great thing, I would love it as I came back from Virginia not to be stopped by the traffic light every three feet or so, But putting my desire to the side for a moment, what will happen to the business on 301 in La Plata and Waldorf if this happens?

have any studies been done to see how much if any revenue is generated by the pass through traffic? Places like resturants, gas stations, the mall?

next when this bypass is put in, how many people would lose their property to give right of way for the new road? how much currently undeveloped land would now be easily accessable and create the flood of new homes.

and after all these new homes go in, wouldnt the bypass just become another 301 in a few years and be just as crowded as what it was mean to replace?

New roads rarely achieve the desired result of traffic relief, instead they prompt additional development that creates an even greater problem.

and in your list you mention the county donating land to create workforce housing.
This land you are thinking can be donated, what is it now?
are you thinking about using park areas? protected areas? what is going to be destroyed to build these homes and create even more traffic?

dont get me wrong here, I like what I saw on your website, and could even be convinced to vote for you if I were in that area, But the handling of these issues could impact much more than just your county.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
bcp said:
have any studies been done to see how much if any revenue is generated by the pass through traffic? Places like resturants, gas stations, the mall?
Will people not still need food, gas, etc. while traveling the new route? The revenue should remain intact, I would think... simply redistributed.

bcp said:
and after all these new homes go in, wouldnt the bypass just become another 301 in a few years and be just as crowded as what it was mean to replace?
This raises a point about which I am curious: I used to live in the Camp Springs area. Waaaay back when Rt. 5 was a normal road, not like the thruway it is now. I remember a great deal of traffic then. After the upgrade, I was amazed at how much the situation improved at hotspots like Rt. 5/Allentown Rd. Could something similar not be done in Waldorf? Why build a bypass if they could upgrade the current road, or is that simply not feasible?

Eric

Vrem for Commissioner
hvp05 said:
Will people not still need food, gas, etc. while traveling the new route? The revenue should remain intact, I would think... simply redistributed.

This raises a point about which I am curious: I used to live in the Camp Springs area. Waaaay back when Rt. 5 was a normal road, not like the thruway it is now. I remember a great deal of traffic then. After the upgrade, I was amazed at how much the situation improved at hotspots like Rt. 5/Allentown Rd. Could something similar not be done in Waldorf? Why build a bypass if they could upgrade the current road, or is that simply not feasible?

The point of creating a throughway has been discussed as well as making some traffic such a large trucks take different routes. The biggest opponents against this are all of the business located on 301. They like the fact that a vehicle just has to pull over to stop instead of getting off at a exit such as down in Clinton on Rt. 5.

Eric

Vrem for Commissioner
bcp said:
A bypass around waldorf would be a great thing, I would love it as I came back from Virginia not to be stopped by the traffic light every three feet or so, But putting my desire to the side for a moment, what will happen to the business on 301 in La Plata and Waldorf if this happens?

The bypass will not bypass La Plata. It just skirts the edge Waldorf and White Plains to take people into La Plata so you will still have to passthrough La Plata in either directions.

T

tikipirate

Wolfgang,

Can we have your permission to take up a fund to buy you residence in Saint Mary's County?

residentofcre said:
We had a similar problem with drinking water in Calvert County. There was arsenic in the water. I tried to get them to put in a new well to get out of the arsenic pocket... but according to our water company... mixing it with all the other water is good enough...

The last tests they published showed this is working.

How much do you know about the aquifers?

What a surprise! The government's own tests showed that they were right! By the way, in the 1800's they thought that low doses of arsenic were an aphrodisiac. Any increase in the birth rate? :razz:

I took a couple of undergrad classes in groundwater hydrology at U of Md. Not an expert by any means, but I understand the concepts, and avoid the math.

bcp said:

next when this bypass is put in, how many people would lose their property to give right of way for the new road? how much currently undeveloped land would now be easily accessable and create the flood of new homes.

New roads rarely achieve the desired result of traffic relief, instead they prompt additional development that creates an even greater problem.

and in your list you mention the county donating land to create workforce housing.
This land you are thinking can be donated, what is it now?
are you thinking about using park areas? protected areas? what is going to be destroyed to build these homes and create even more traffic?

dont get me wrong here, I like what I saw on your website, and could even be convinced to vote for you if I were in that area, But the handling of these issues could impact much more than just your county.

OK, let's go through this in order:

1. The thing has been studied for at least 20, more like 30 years.

2. The businesses in Waldorf want a bypass. They know that people are completely avoiding the Waldorf area due to traffic, and that is bad for them. They really do not want a flyover upgrade such as Camp Springs, Clinton, and they believe that this killed many businesses in the area.

3. Don't know how many people would lose property, but that is what all the studies are about. The govt. started reserving properties long ago. I know many people along the route are upset and don't want it. Some of them are my friends. In fact, a real politician would not voice a view on such a controversial subject.

4. I share your worry about new roads bringing even more development. I favor a plan to make this a limited (meaning NO) access parkway-type road, so that there would be NO local entrances or exits. This would limit additional development, but I agree, it would not eliminate it.

5. The properties that I am suggesting that the county donate for workforce development are just vacant land, sitting there. Formerly farms. Not currently used as farms. I am sure that some trees would be cut, but they are not predominantly wooded. We have to face the fact that young teachers, police, fire and emt, and others who we need to work here have a hard time affording to live here. Yes, they will add to traffic. But we all want them here as neighbors, and need them.

Thanks for your interest, and your kind words. Could you please move to Charles CO. Just until after the election?

Kurt wolfgangcommissioner.com

hvp05 said:

The business community is dead set against an upgrade of 301 in its existing location. They believe that the Rt 5 upgrade in Camp Sprins/Clinton was an utter disaster for the businesses there, and so they support a bypass, or no action at all, but they really prefer a bypass. This stuff has been studied to for 20 or more years, and people's position are well stabilized. There are problems with every approach, but in my view, the traffic must be relieved. You can't make an omelette without braking some eggs.

hvp05

WolfgangCommiss said:
The business community is dead set against an upgrade of 301 in its existing location. They believe that the Rt 5 upgrade in Camp Sprins/Clinton was an utter disaster for the businesses there, and so they support a bypass, or no action at all, but they really prefer a bypass.
Okay, so it's "politics" as usual. Instead of doing what is objectively best, the government will lean to whoever screams louder - the businesses or the community.

I think the perception that the Rt. 5 upgrade was an "utter disaster" may be misfounded. (Not talking about you, personally, Kurt...) The intersection I specifically named (at Allentown Rd.) was historically a bad place for business. There was a mini-mall that went through periods of pretty good to total crap. Also, there was a bunch of small, private shops, but none of them were worth much. Plus, the exodus of the middle- and upper-class folks to the "newly-discovered" region of Southern MD began in the mid-90s. Thus, by the time the upgrade happened - approximately 8 years ago, the area was already firmly on a downhill trend.

I would think that, given strong enough leadership and economic support, a similar revision could ultimately benefit a town like Waldorf.

WolfgangCommiss said:
There are problems with every approach, but in my view, the traffic must be relieved.
You are not the only one with that view! :lmao: Traffic is absolutely horrendous during the high times... and the population is only increasing.

R

residentofcre

WolfgangCommiss said:
What a surprise! The government's own tests showed that they were right! By the way, in the 1800's they thought that low doses of arsenic were an aphrodisiac. Any increase in the birth rate? :razz:

I took a couple of undergrad classes in groundwater hydrology at U of Md. Not an expert by any means, but I understand the concepts, and avoid the math.

I worked at a well company and I did a ton of research because of the arsenic issue. I also held a couple of mini-water festivals to promote the preservation of ground water.

We should be teaching this more, in my opinion, with all the private wells and the "draw down theory' looming in the future.

When all those wells went dry a couple years ago... I was watching people wait for two and three months and paying exhorbitant prices for wells. I also know that there are a pretty good number of wells that should have been abandoned that were not... so they are just open holes directly into the aquifer.... It's really very interesting if you get into that kind of thing...

residentofcre said:
I worked at a well company and I did a ton of research because of the arsenic issue. I also held a couple of mini-water festivals to promote the preservation of ground water.

We should be teaching this more, in my opinion, with all the private wells and the "draw down theory' looming in the future.

When all those wells went dry a couple years ago... I was watching people wait for two and three months and paying exhorbitant prices for wells. I also know that there are a pretty good number of wells that should have been abandoned that were not... so they are just open holes directly into the aquifer.... It's really very interesting if you get into that kind of thing...

I enjoyed your website, and I feel the kinship of being on the outside trying to get in, to change the status quo. Do you have primary opposition?

I also want to ask you where I can read more about CERT. My church wants to set up a program. Are there resources on the internet?

Thanks, and good luck.

R

residentofcre

WolfgangCommiss said:
I enjoyed your website, and I feel the kinship of being on the outside trying to get in, to change the status quo. Do you have primary opposition?

I also want to ask you where I can read more about CERT. My church wants to set up a program. Are there resources on the internet?

Thanks, and good luck.

When you go on my website, click on pictures... they have embedded links. On the Disaster & Evacuation Page there is a phrase that says "It's called a disaster for a reason". If you click on that, it will get you to a link with all the contact information. I learned so very much.

I am not exactly on the outside. I am fairly well known for speaking my mind. I have been working over the last few years in my community. I designed a road system for the problem of a road to nowhere in our community. If you have been talking about the water I know you have made a few of them notice you.

I hope we make it through the primary and the election so we can work together.

residentofcre said:
When you go on my website, click on pictures... they have embedded links. On the Disaster & Evacuation Page there is a phrase that says "It's called a disaster for a reason". If you click on that, it will get you to a link with all the contact information. I learned so very much.

I am not exactly on the outside. I am fairly well known for speaking my mind. I have been working over the last few years in my community. I designed a road system for the problem of a road to nowhere in our community. If you have been talking about the water I know you have made a few of them notice you.

I hope we make it through the primary and the election so we can work together.

Thanks, Becky. I have no primary opposition. My incumbent will probably win against her primary opposition and I will face her in November. She is a nice enough person, appointed a year and a half ago. Has a doctorate in Education. But she is not leading in the right direction. I would not run against her if I did not believe I could do a better job.

Good luck to you. I see that there are many candidates in Calvert.

B

Bruzilla

Your positions all sound wonderful, but let's be honest... every politician stands for the same things, and if it were easy to achieve these goals they would have been achieved long before now. So, we must assume that all of the things that you are proposing are either impossible or nearly impossible to achieve.

So how is it that you feel that you will be successful in achieveing these goals when all others before you have failed?

hvp05

Bruzilla said:
So how is it that you feel that you will be successful in achieveing these goals when all others before you have failed?
Were you feeling mildly depressed last night?

R

residentofcre

Bruzilla said:
Your positions all sound wonderful, but let's be honest... every politician stands for the same things, and if it were easy to achieve these goals they would have been achieved long before now. So, we must assume that all of the things that you are proposing are either impossible or nearly impossible to achieve.

All politicians discuss the same issues but not all politicians see the same solutions. We all discuss the same issues because those are the big ticket issues in the budget. They are big ticket issues in the budget because they touch so many lives on a daily basis.

The majority of the issues are actually handled by staff in Calvert County. The Commissioners tell staff what direction to take but the work is done by very talented staff under management apponted by the commissioners. [Much like big business]

I believe that the majority of politicians are wealthy people who take on this position as a second job. I'm not saying this is good or bad, it's just a fact. The "little guy" can't afford to take on the established "big guy", so they either don't run or they lose due to lack of publicity. The majority of politicians own their own business or come from money. Based on their wealth or connections, they are able to finance a campaign.

I have spent over $1,000.00 on my campaign. This is a drop in the bucket compaired to my opponents. To me [and my family] this is a major expense. I don't have that kind of money. The issues, however, are so important to us that when I said I wanted to take a stand, my family decided to do without some things to make this happen.

This country was built on a majority rules concept. That is what democracy is supposed to be. Our current way of doing things shuts out the voice of the people.

One of the current Calvert County Commissioner said "We don't have time to listen to all the committees."

I say "If you don't have time to listen to the committees then how are you going to hear what others think."

I say, "If you don't have regular conversations with the people, how will you ever know what they are really thinking?"

Direction... what direction does the majority of the people in Calvert County want to take? That's what I think that one particular commissioner is missing.

One of my opponents [a lawyer] says he doesn't like the fact that the commissioners do so much work behind closed doors in executive session. Of course the current commissioners say that they do it all in open session, on tv with reporters in the room so how can it be behind closed doors.

Do I think doing business behind closed doors is right? Of course not...

I can tell you that discussions about the issues probably do happen in closed session because the commissioners are all well spoken with opinions and if something is going to be brought up in public, they probably discuss it some beforehand. It's not meant to be deceptive, it's human nature and it's politics. All votes are taken in public though. There is extensive discussion in public about the vote. That's what keeps the commissioner's decisions public. How much of his job is done outside of the courtroom?

I say we need forums like this as well as face to face "coffee klutch" type meetings on a regular basis. Some of us [non business owners] can't just take the time off during the day and run down to the courthouse to discuss public issues. That would keep the decision making in the public.

We also need regular sessions of the Commissioner's meetings in the evening so that those who want to discuss issues with the commissioners in public can do so.

The majority of us get up before dawn, pack lunches, get off to work, fight traffic, perform our daily job duties [above and beyond the call most times], fight traffic, get home, cook dinner, catch up on the news, discuss issues as a family with no time to do much more than that, retire for the day and start all over again.

If it weren't for us, the wheels of the county would stop turning. Could we be leaders? Sure if the need arose.

I brought this argument up in a private conversation some time ago with a colleague of mine. She asked me why I thought "someone who did not run a business could actually run a county".

I don't own a business because that's not the path life took me on. If I owned a business I would be contributing to someone else's campaign so that I could keep running my business. We can't all own business. Who would do the work?

I believe the position of Commissioner is a full time position.

I have managed business for others and they prospered. In the absence of the business owner I lead a group of people to make a small business very prosperous.

It's one thing to win an election. Your signs are better, your rhetoric is more rehearsed, your contributions are bigger, you are in place and you have a record to research.

It's another thing to be a leader who listens to the people and takes their comments into consideration when considering which path to take.

I got into this campaign because a seat opened up and I felt it was time. I know I can do this job.

Taxes are too high... I can't afford not to try to take the lead. If I succeed, it will be money well invested.

And another thing, I simply can't afford some of the projects the county is looking into at this time.... :coffee: