Chantix

GreenHornet

All psychotropic drugs can have long term effects.

Be careful folks and make sure you use google. My guess is that you'll find many, many people who have used these medications and had a horrible time getting off them. I'm just throwing that out there......

Just look at me... Seriously!

GH

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
I went to urgent care tonight and since I was already there I asked if I could get a prescription for Chantix. Dr. said sure and gave me one. So we will see how it goes.

Dr did say that it is said to cause problems with sleeping, and having vivid dreams..

bcp

In My Opinion
I went to urgent care tonight and since I was already there I asked if I could get a prescription for Chantix. Dr. said sure and gave me one. So we will see how it goes.

Dr did say that it is said to cause problems with sleeping, and having vivid dreams..
my problems that I noticed were
Vivid dreams
trouble sleeping
constipation (like you really care)
reduced energy
headaches
and upset stomach at times.
thats about it.

really not as bad as it sounds.

now that being said, it works real well, but be warned, when you stop using it at the end, the craving seem to start hitting again real hard. I know it has to be all in the mind since there is no way that the nicotine can still be in the body at that point,, but still.

bcp

In My Opinion
Like fort knox trying to get into this forum. Hey guys, the reason I'm here is because of the Chantix thread. I have been off of the Chantix for about 1 1/2 months.

About a month ago I started getting real crabby...I mean REAL crabby. Like absolutely no tolerance for anything. My kids are living in fear. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what it was. My mom looked it up and sure enough, it's a side effect of coming OFF the Chantix. Almost like a withdrawal.

I have no desire to smoke any longer after 25 years. It is indeed an AWESOME feeling. Unfortunately, I want to kill everyone!

Just thought I would share.

Read this post above from HD7 carefully, its no joke.

here is what I am doing.
the prescription company BC/BS messed up and sent me two full treatments.
that means that I had two starter week packs.
the starter week is meant to slowly build up your level to where the other weeks will maintain.
then when you stop using it, you just sort of crash. at least I did.
so, Im now using the starter week packet in reverse to try and bring myself back down again a little more gently. I started the step down after being off the regular for two days.

if this works I might write the company a letter and suggest it as part of the treatment.

johnjrval424

Chantix worked really well for me - although I wasn't a heavy smoker to begin with (pack every 2 days).

Husband couldn't take it. He didn't like the side effects (dreams, upset stomach) - it took having a mild heart attack in July to get him to finally quit altogether.

bcp

In My Opinion
Chantix worked really well for me - although I wasn't a heavy smoker to begin with (pack every 2 days).

Husband couldn't take it. He didn't like the side effects (dreams, upset stomach) - it took having a mild heart attack in July to get him to finally quit altogether.
diet would be a greater cause of the heart attack than smoking.

look at the japs, highest number of smokers of any country, lowest number of "smoking" related health issues.

guess they must smoke better quality cigarettes.

johnjrval424

diet would be a greater cause of the heart attack than smoking.

look at the japs, highest number of smokers of any country, lowest number of "smoking" related health issues.

guess they must smoke better quality cigarettes.
It was probably a combination of both - he is from the "old school/meat & potatoes" generation.

I think he continued to smoke after his quadruple bypass surgery in '98 just to tick off the doctors who kept preaching to him about quitting. Haha - guess who won?

bcp

In My Opinion
It was probably a combination of both - he is from the "old school/meat & potatoes" generation.

I think he continued to smoke after his quadruple bypass surgery in '98 just to tick off the doctors who kept preaching to him about quitting. Haha - guess who won?

little suggestion.
do not use a line like that in front of him if you expect him to continue without smoking.

example.
I didnt quit because of health issues, I quit because I was tired of my wife #####ing about me smoking.
however, I did make a simple request that she didnt mention this to people because I really didnt feel like answering their smug attitude questions about how much better I feel (and, there is no difference yet) how much Im saving how much better they are than me because they never,, and on and on.

naturally the first thing she did was get on the Puerto Rican megaphone and broadcast to everyone.

now, she seems to be taking great joy in seeing how much she can push my buttons because of the irritation that stopping brings.

Im about one or two more comments away from running on down and buying a carton if she does not learn to STFU when I ask her to.

Oh wait,, scratch all that.

I wish him the best of luck.

johnjrval424

little suggestion.
do not use a line like that in front of him if you expect him to continue without smoking.

example.
I didnt quit because of health issues, I quit because I was tired of my wife #####ing about me smoking.
however, I did make a simple request that she didnt mention this to people because I really didnt feel like answering their smug attitude questions about how much better I feel (and, there is no difference yet) how much Im saving how much better they are than me because they never,, and on and on.

naturally the first thing she did was get on the Puerto Rican megaphone and broadcast to everyone.

now, she seems to be taking great joy in seeing how much she can push my buttons because of the irritation that stopping brings.

Im about one or two more comments away from running on down and buying a carton if she does not learn to STFU when I ask her to.

Oh wait,, scratch all that.

I wish him the best of luck.
I didn't give him grief about it because I used to smoke also. However, once I stopped, I really didn't like him smoking in the house, the car or anywhere for that matter. He used to think that I was just being a PIA - until he quit smoking and now he doesn't even like to be NEAR the smoking section because of the smell.

Another reason why it was a good thing is the recent $1 increase that O'Malley passed (well, the house/senate passed) on cigarettes. That's gonna hurt...:smack:

HD7

Read this post above from HD7 carefully, its no joke.

here is what I am doing.
the prescription company BC/BS messed up and sent me two full treatments.
that means that I had two starter week packs.
the starter week is meant to slowly build up your level to where the other weeks will maintain.
then when you stop using it, you just sort of crash. at least I did.
so, Im now using the starter week packet in reverse to try and bring myself back down again a little more gently. I started the step down after being off the regular for two days.

if this works I might write the company a letter and suggest it as part of the treatment.

That's a great idea if it really works. Seems like it would. I have a Doctor's appointment Tuesday so I hope he can give me something to settle me down. I had a "flare" up today.

My wife says that she doesn't know when it's going to happen anymore. I mean it's that bad. EVERYTHING is setting me off it seems. I'm not an abusive person by nature, if I was...I don't know, seriously. It's just like BOOM and I'm off yelling, unreasonable, raging mad. Then about 10 minutes later I'm incredibly depressed and mad at myself, then I feel normal again.

It's got to stop, seriously. This is not even CLOSE to who I am.

R

residentofcre

That's a great idea if it really works. Seems like it would. I have a Doctor's appointment Tuesday so I hope he can give me something to settle me down. I had a "flare" up today.

My wife says that she doesn't know when it's going to happen anymore. I mean it's that bad. EVERYTHING is setting me off it seems. I'm not an abusive person by nature, if I was...I don't know, seriously. It's just like BOOM and I'm off yelling, unreasonable, raging mad. Then about 10 minutes later I'm incredibly depressed and mad at myself, then I feel normal again.

It's got to stop, seriously. This is not even CLOSE to who I am.

I went through that for a few days... remember this though... you body is going through nicotine withdrawal and without the chantix it would be much much much much worse.

Hang in there... don't give in to the thought of quitting the chantix... Good Luck!

HD7

No one seems to be getting this. No offense please. I've been OFF of the Chantix for almost 2 months. This is AFTER the fact.

R

residentofcre

No one seems to be getting this. No offense please. I've been OFF of the Chantix for almost 2 months. This is AFTER the fact.

Oh bummer... I defintely didn't see that part....

I feel excellent and I've been off of it for a few months...

Did your doctor diagnose a problem with it? It does affect the brain ... that's how it works...

johnjrval424

Then by all means, keep your doctors appointment on Tuesday and be sure you are very adamant and specific about your symptoms. There have been very rare cases of odd behavior as a result of taking Chantix. We aren't ignoring your situation - but no one can follow through with this but you. As I said, cases of extreme hostility and personality changes are rare but can happen. Please get the help you need or get tested for whatever the cause may be, for the sake of yourself and your family.

Good luck to you.

Last edited: