Charges Withdrawn Against Alleged U.S.S. Cole Bomb

wollybugger

Political Punch: Military Commission Charges Dropped Against Terrorist Suspect Al-Nashiri

As President Obama prepared to order the Department of Defense's Military Commission to withdraw charges against terrorist suspect Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri on Friday afternoon, the convening authority for the Commission, Susan Crawford, withdrew the charges on her own Thursday night.

The charges were withdrawn without prejudice, meaning they later can be reinstated in a military commission or pursued in a civilian court. Al-Nashiri will remain in custody.

Please pray for the families of our brave sailors who suffered and died on the Cole ... I'm so sorry they have to go through this.

Severa

Common sense ain't common
My husband was in the Navy, stationed at NAS Norfolk, at the time of the Cole bombing. I remember when she was getting repaired, looking over at where she was usually berthed and upon seeing that empty spot, feeling a twinge of sadness, wondering at the time if she would even be returned to the fleet. Even after she returned, it wasn't the same, you always remember that day and those lives who were lost, you pray for the families of those left behind...

wollybugger

POLITICO 44 | The next president. Minute by Minute
The commanding officer of the U.S.S. Cole during the 2000 attack slammed President Barack Obama Friday for his decision to seek the withdrawal of charges against the suspected ship bomber and the president’s order to close the Guantanamo Bay prison.

“Personally, I am very disappointed he has gone forward with this,” said retired Cmdr. Kirk S. Lippold on MSNBC’s Morning Joe show. “But more important is the impact that has on the families who have waited for eight years for justice to have to wait another 120 days.”

Host Joe Scarborough didn’t try to hide his disapproval of Obama’s decision.

“The parents of 17 dead sailors understand we had the process, Mika,” Scarborough said to his co-host, Mika Brzezinski, who was questioning the legal process. “I wonder what President Obama says to the 17 families of these dead soldiers. It seems, Mika, like there is very little to be said.”

Seventeen American sailors were killed after al Qaeda operatives drove a small explosives-freighted boat into the Cole while it sat in a port in Yemen.

This just tugs at my heart .... simply unbeleivable that he would subject these families to this stress and heartache ... after their ultimate sacrifice.

unbeleivable ...

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Paybacks: kind of makes you wonder where some of Zero's campaign money came from.

Matthew

I'm waiting for the response of BHO's supporters on this forum to explain away this appeasement. I'm sure they have some logical answers, but not in front of the survivors or the families of the honored dead.

Matthew

This just tugs at my heart .... simply unbeleivable that he would subject these families to this stress and heartache ... after their ultimate sacrifice.

unbeleivable ...

Unless you have walked in their shoes or served in a similar capacity in one of our armed services, it is not unbelievable.
Unfortunately, for a significant nmber, Hollywood is the closest they have come to any kind of military service. Unfortunately, in real life, you can't yell "cut !" and go home at the end of the day.

wollybugger

Does this mean they're allowing al-Nashiri to walk free?

He won't be able to walk (as of yet) ... but will be tried to the bar Obama will set ... which will be al-Nashiri will be afforded the rights as seen through the eyes of the US court system ... not the military system.

This will result in a very lengthy process involving some of the greasiest defense attornies that can be uncovered from rocks.

Ultimatly leading to a circus - and continual proding of the families of those 17fallen servicemen.

Disgraceful ... absolutely disgraceful

The Oyster Guy

He won't be able to walk (as of yet) ... but will be tried to the bar Obama will set ... which will be al-Nashiri will be afforded the rights as seen through the eyes of the US court system ... not the military system.

This will result in a very lengthy process involving some of the greasiest defense attornies that can be uncovered from rocks.

Ultimatly leading to a circus - and continual proding of the families of those 17fallen servicemen.

So the accused will still face trial in the US Judicial System... just like Zacarias Moussaoui and Jose Padilla? Both of those terrorists were convicted in the US Courts some time ago now.

Matthew

HHe is supposed to meet with the survivors and family later today. Personally if I was one of them I would tar and feather him.

ImnoMensa

He hasnt been president a month yet, Look forward to 4 more years of this.

It's going to be a great ride if we survive it.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
So the accused will still face trial in the US Judicial System... just like Zacarias Moussaoui and Jose Padilla? Both of those terrorists were convicted in the US Courts some time ago now.

The "Spin Doctor" is in. Sorry wollybugger, I don't think he even read your post even though he quoted it.

BOP

To the liberal (of which BHO is chief), the sailors were at fault and should apologize and be made to pay reparations to the families of the freedom fighters for having caused them to run into the Cole.