Charlotte Hall, Is Something Happening?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
There's a metric s ton of legislation that has to be hammered out on this yet. Hell, we've been waiting for online sports betting for 2 years now.
I bet, the tax schemes ought to be amazing. Will the counties be getting a cut?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Old Thai Inter is opening as a Slim Chickens. Less than a mile away on the same side of the road as Popeyes and Chick-fil-a. How much greasy chicken do we need?
I know nothing about the chain, but I don't think fans of either Chick-fil-a or Popeyes are going to run to Slim Pickens.
they both enjoy a pretty loyal customer base.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I find it funny that all the 7-11's in the lower end of the county closed and now 2 are going in a few miles apart
They seem to be enjoying a resurgence. The new ones don’t look like the old ones though, more of a Royal farms vibe with the gas station and fried chicken. The old ones were coffee and old hot dogs.

BernieP

Resident PIA
They seem to be enjoying a resurgence. The new ones don’t look like the old ones though, more of a Royal farms vibe with the gas station and fried chicken. The old ones were coffee and old hot dogs.
WaWa, Sheetz, Royal Farms, 7-11, HT Gas, BJ's Fuel, etc. Ok, Giant, BJs and Teeter are a bit different, the new model for 7-11 is the discounted gas to get you into the stores, like WaWa etc. The other places give you discounts off the gas for the purchases you made in their store.
That's why the mom and pop gas station disappeared. I could launch a lecture on retail gas prices, but gas stations and the "oil companies", no body in that part of the chain is gouging the consumer. If any one is gouging the consumer it's the futures traders, people like the philanthropist of the left, George Soros. It's been shown multiple times over the years, "big oil" profits go up as we use more. Profit margin hasn't changed.
That market, more than any other, has to charge not what they paid to fill their tank, but what it's going to cost to refill that tank. Gas stations use to have to pay the delivery in either cash or credit receipts. Not sure how corporate owned stations work it, but I'm sure that if it's a franchise, the owner is doing something similiar

OldHillcrestGuy

First time I smoked it an hour later I was at the High's Dairy store in Hillcrest Heights shopping center getting a double scoop Butter Brickle ice cream cone. That was like crack! :yum:

AJ are you from Hillcrest? Family moved to Hillcrest in 1952, Dad and brothers still there. I rode my bicycle to the High's a million times growing up, there was no better ice cream then a Butter Brickle cone. Friendly's brand of ice cream has a Butter Crunch that is pretty darn close to High's BB.

OldHillcrestGuy

WaWa, Sheetz, Royal Farms, 7-11, HT Gas, BJ's Fuel, etc. Ok, Giant, BJs and Teeter are a bit different, the new model for 7-11 is the discounted gas to get you into the stores, like WaWa etc. The other places give you discounts off the gas for the purchases you made in their store.
That's why the mom and pop gas station disappeared. I could launch a lecture on retail gas prices, but gas stations and the "oil companies", no body in that part of the chain is gouging the consumer. If any one is gouging the consumer it's the futures traders, people like the philanthropist of the left, George Soros. It's been shown multiple times over the years, "big oil" profits go up as we use more. Profit margin hasn't changed.
That market, more than any other, has to charge not what they paid to fill their tank, but what it's going to cost to refill that tank. Gas stations use to have to pay the delivery in either cash or credit receipts. Not sure how corporate owned stations work it, but I'm sure that if it's a franchise, the owner is doing something similiar
You forgot Dash In.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Many gas stations of the past used to be full service. Meaning they had service bays attached to the station to service cars. Attendants also used to check your oil and wash your windows. Now, people have to do everything for themselves, because of the raising cost of labor after Nixon ended the convertibility of dollars to gold, (the closing of the so-called gold window in 1971 and the end of the Bretton Woods Agreement), hence, inside retail to make up for the service revenue loss. Just look at that old Sunoco station on 235 near the base. That was an excellent setup.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Many gas stations of the past used to be full service. Meaning they had service bays attached to the station to service cars. Attendants also used to check your oil and wash your windows. Now, people have to do everything for themselves, because of the raising cost of labor after Nixon ended the convertibility of dollars to gold, (the closing of the so-called gold window in 1971 and the end of the Bretton Woods Agreement), hence, inside retail to make up for the service revenue loss. Just look at that old Sunoco station on 235 near the base. That was an excellent setup.
NO. Full service stations went out of business when places could discount gas as a loss leader, hell, if it wasn't for taxes and milk subsidy laws, consumer gas prices would be even lower. But by law milk and cigarettes can't be sold below a certain value. Those items are lose leaders, like any item a store puts on sale. It's what they use to get you into the store to buy the over priced items you crave. Anything to get you to pay more, because you think you are getting a bargain.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

"You can trust your car
To the man who wears the Star
The Big Bright Texaco Star!!!"

BernieP

Resident PIA
You forgot Dash In.
There are a lot of smaller chains, I think Circle K or something like that is big in Iowa. Dash In, Quik Mart, but Sheetz and Wawa are probably the two most notorious discounters. I seem to recall Sheetz getting in trouble with the government for selling something at a low price.
While the government regulators cared, consumers were like, who gives a Sheetz

slowlane

Instead of just trading random speculations, and rumors, you all need to check these 2 sites. The first link mentions a Chipotle Mexican Grill, a Royal Farms, and a Starbucks all planned for Charlotte Hall..

Last edited: