Chavez to Sell US Fighters to Iran

Vince

Maybe a team of special type guys should pay a visit to those F-16's and make them go boom.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
SamSpade said:
Thought you were being funny regarding Iran-Contra.

Am I wrong?
No, they have american made fighters, and that article I posted said that the Shah was thinking of buying F-16's and F-18's. I think that was all before the Ayatolla and we shut them down.

SamSpade

Vince said:
Maybe a team of special type guys should pay a visit to those F-16's and make them go boom.

I had the same thought - or at least, booby trap them. Take out a trained Cuban pilot at the same time.

SamSpade

Bustem' Down said:
No, they have american made fighters, and that article I posted said that the Shah was thinking of buying F-16's and F-18's. I think that was all before the Ayatolla and we shut them down.

Good article..

Do they have any LEFT?

That's one argument I have when people try to tell me that we armed *Iraq*. I ask them, really? What planes do they fly? What tanks do they have? What arms do they have? What missiles do they use? What helicopters, ships, guns, artillery etc do they use?

Oh that's right - they have a few American made transport vehicles. TRUCKS, basically.

SamSpade said:
Good article..

Do they have any LEFT?

That's one argument I have when people try to tell me that we armed *Iraq*. I ask them, really? What planes do they fly? What tanks do they have? What arms do they have? What missiles do they use? What helicopters, ships, guns, artillery etc do they use?

Oh that's right - they have a few American made transport vehicles. TRUCKS, basically.
Very few of them are still flying. Most have been stripped for parts for those left flying. They have had to make some parts incountry to keep them going.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
SamSpade said:
Good article..

Do they have any LEFT?

Looks like thaey have a few servicable ones left, but we put a stop to sales in the mid 80's. Russia sold a bunch of stuff to them that probably still works, and then there's all of the Iraqi aircraft that probably flew over there in the first Gulf War.

Shouldn't be a big problem. They aren't upgraded, they don't have the kind of training our pilots get and they don't have the good sidewinders.

Toxick

Splat
SamSpade said:
What a jackazz - this guy's stock just keeps nosediving....who needs friends like these?

Is Venezuela considered our "friend"?

The way I understood it, they were openly hostile toward the US. Certainly Chavez is anti-Yank.

SamSpade

Toxick said:
Is Venezuela considered our "friend"?

The way I understood it, they were openly hostile toward the US. Certainly Chavez is anti-Yank.

It was better before Chavez. But I'm saying this kind of about face is not the way to win over NEW allies.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
This is political smoke from Chavez but nothing more. An aging F-16 without all of our modern technology is like trying to use an old Tandy and access the internet... Its a tin can in the air to what we fly now. On top of that you can no longer call customer service because they have disconnected their number.

B

Bruzilla

The last time that an Iranian F-14 took to the air was back when the Vincennes had their little oopsie with the airliner. We also sold them P-3 Orions but those are all hanger queens now and good for nothing besides holdign the tarmac down. The primary fighter force for the Iranians now are planes that they commandered when Iraq sent them there for protection in 1992, and since the Russians don't give away parts and support like the Soviets did, those planes are barely flyable.

I'm sure that the IAF would love to see the Iranians get F-16s. They know that plane inside and out, and their F-16s have been so upgraded that a fight would be a turkey shoot.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I see business here...

...instead of sending planes to the bone yard, we sell 'em to Chavez, he sells 'em to Iran, the Iranians send their kids to the Atta International School of Flying where you never learn to land because you won't need to, the Heebs shoot 'em down and we sell more to Chavez. Then, we put out a safety re-call, the Iranians ship the pieces back to Chavez who has to ship them to us, we get all our oil money back on shipping charges and we lose their paper work to boot so they pull their hair out and spend all their time complaining about customer service.

Buy Lockheed!