Cheerleaders, What to do about them

sonsorae

What now?!
SamSpade said:
I read an article on the net about a month ago (my wife and I were discussing whether or not cheerleading is a 'sport') by a former cheerleader who had gotten into the xtreme form as it developed, in the 80's. It was her opinion that to properly discuss the issue, it was important to note there were two distinct kinds - the highly competitive gymnastic form that you see on TV and movies, and the 'normal' kind we generally grew up with (which typically does NOT compete).

It was her observation that most squads across the country actually fall into the second category, despite the sensationalism of the press, or the glamorizing done by Hollywood.

Most squads do fall in the second category...mainly parks and rec and high school. I'm starting to see a trend with high schools requiring some type of gymnastic skills and are competing quite often. Eleanor Roosevelt HS as well as many other high schools are competing on a regular basis.

Do you remember where you saw that article. I would like to read it.

SamSpade

sonsorae said:
Most squads do fall in the second category...mainly parks and rec and high school. I'm starting to see a trend with high schools requiring some type of gymnastic skills and are competing quite often. Eleanor Roosevelt HS as well as many other high schools are competing on a regular basis.

Do you remember where you saw that article. I would like to read it.
I did a Google on cheerleading and is it a sport? Beyond that, I can't remember.