Children are animals - and so are their parents

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/25/AR2005052501677_pf.html

A public school teacher fed up with his students' behavior found a way to berate them in the context of a class assignment. The Jefferson Parish teacher wrote and distributed a two-page essay to his fourth-grade students saying he hated his job, blasting the children's "animal" behavior, and even identifying some of them by name.
You know, if one of my kids came home with that essay and assignment, I wouldn't be outraged and upset. I'd be like, "What did you do to your teacher to make him hate you????"

The reaction of that mother is typical of people who don't make their kids behave and respect others, then get all pissy if someone points it out.

janey83

Twenty Something
Senior year of high school, we had this chorus teacher....nice woman, but she had a temper. Someone stole her plum from her lunch and one of her Lauryn Hill CDs, and the teacher made us all write essays about how we shouldn't steal from her and behave better. I was mad because she took it out on the entire class and treated us all like little kids when there were really just a few problem students. I think I wrote something like "I'm graduating soon and don't have time to write these pointless essays."

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
The reaction of that mother is typical of people who don't make their kids behave and respect others, then get all pissy if someone points it out.
:yeahthat:

When I picked up chick yesterday from day care, I casually asked her teacher how chick's day had been. She hesitated and said that she had trouble listening and had to be told several times do so somthing before she complied.

I looked at chick and asked her is that was true. Yes.... she says. I asked her if she knew better and how many times should she be asked or told to do something. Yes... once...

I said, pick your punishment. She say's, No TV for the rest of the day. I say fine, good choice. Don't let it happen again and repect and listen to your teachers.

Teacher looked shocked and says, I should tell you more often! I said, yes you should. I can't deal with a problem if I am unaware of it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
janey83 said:
I think I wrote something like "I'm graduating soon and don't have time to write these pointless essays."
:raisingeyebrows:

Oh really? Your teacher gives you an assignment and you "don't have time for it"??

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:

Oh really? Your teacher gives you an assignment and you "don't have time for it"??

Exactly. Let's see...what animal would that make her? A sloth?

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
janey83 said:
I think I wrote something like "I'm graduating soon and don't have time to write these pointless essays."

You should have given her the names of the suspected dirtbags. :yay:

janey83

Twenty Something
vraiblonde said:

:shrug: It was in high school, and it was in CHORUS class where all you really had to do was sing. I turned in my essay, but I wrote what I really thought -- I was honest, I didn't kiss up to her. I still passed the class, in fact, she was always really nice to me.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Not MY lil angel! :batseyelashes: :drama: Some parents just don't get it, or better yet, don't want to get it. (the truth)

Last edited:

KCM

Right Where I Belong
RoseRed said:
:yeahthat:

When I picked up chick yesterday from day care, I casually asked her teacher how chick's day had been. She hesitated and said that she had trouble listening and had to be told several times do so somthing before she complied.

I looked at chick and asked her is that was true. Yes.... she says. I asked her if she knew better and how many times should she be asked or told to do something. Yes... once...

I said, pick your punishment. She say's, No TV for the rest of the day. I say fine, good choice. Don't let it happen again and repect and listen to your teachers.

Teacher looked shocked and says, I should tell you more often! I said, yes you should. I can't deal with a problem if I am unaware of it.
I agree totally. I speak to my son's teacher on a regular basis. He has been taught to respect himself, his fellow classmates and his teacher. He knows that when he is at school and does not follow the teacher's instructions, that he will be reprimanded at home.

I did this with my daughter when she was in elementary. Now, as a middle school student, she remembers those rules and is a very well behaved student.

I commend you on your approach with your daughter.:clap:

Mikeinsmd

RoseRed said:
:yeahthat:When I picked up chick yesterday from day care, I casually asked her teacher how chick's day had been. She hesitated and said that she had trouble listening and had to be told several times do so somthing before she complied. I looked at chick and asked her is that was true. Yes.... she says. I asked her if she knew better and how many times should she be asked or told to do something. Yes... once...
I said, pick your punishment. She say's, No TV for the rest of the day. I say fine, good choice. Don't let it happen again and repect and listen to your teachers. Teacher looked shocked and says, I should tell you more often! I said, yes you should. I can't deal with a problem if I am unaware of it.
Would you be my mommy?? :huggy:

Pete

Repete
I liked the approach in the GA public school system. At the biginning of the year the parents got a form authorizing corporal punishment or not. If they approved then the teacher would stop you where you were when screwing off, get a witness (another teacher) and jacked you up right there. If the parents objected, goober went home that day for a minimum of 3 days. When they exceeded the allowed absentee rate they failed.

Very simple, immediate and motivating.

mrweb

Iron City
Pete said:
I liked the approach in the GA public school system. At the biginning of the year the parents got a form authorizing corporal punishment or not. If they approved then the teacher would stop you where you were when screwing off, get a witness (another teacher) and jacked you up right there. If the parents objected, goober went home that day for a minimum of 3 days. When they exceeded the allowed absentee rate they failed.

Very simple, immediate and motivating.

Thats about the best approach I have ever heard of. :yay:

I must add that a senior in high school is still a little kid, particularly if one of their classmates still thinks its kewl to steal from teacher. I taught at CSM for a while, a computer course. One of their assignments incuded writing a short paper. I took off for grammer, spelling, sentance structure, syntax, etc. I was accused of being unfair because I was grading them on "English stuff" in a computer course. :bawl: I felt like accusing them of acting like little kids.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
mrweb said:
Thats about the best approach I have ever heard of. :yay:

I must add that a senior in high school is still a little kid, particularly if one of their classmates still thinks its kewl to steal from teacher. I taught at CSM for a while, a computer course. One of their assignments incuded writing a short paper. I took off for grammer, spelling, sentance structure, syntax, etc. I was accused of being unfair because I was grading them on "English stuff" in a computer course. :bawl: I felt like accusing them of acting like little kids.

So, how much would you take off for your own post? :lmao:

mrweb

Iron City
virgovictoria said:
So, how much would you take off for your own post? :lmao:

C+

D- on trying to do two things at the same time and and being unsuccessful on getting either of them correct. :whack: