China cabinet/hutch

Anybody want this? Been trying to sell forever. Solid wood, I think oak. Let me know. I just need it gone.

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 212
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 212

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
This is the technique that I hope to use on this hutch. I have a few other pieces that I want to do, too, to make a nice assortment for the basement. While the furniture doesn't all match right now, I think it will all look nice together once painted alike/similar.

Thanks, DR. I'll be in touch tomorrow to confirm my arrival. :yay:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 130

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Probably have some stuffed and put on display. I don't know what a Wickle is. Cross between a weasel and pickle?

I will bring you a jar of Wickles.....hot and spicy sweet pickles. Imagine a Bread and Butter pickle with a serious kick.

acommondisaster

This is the technique that I hope to use on this hutch. I have a few other pieces that I want to do, too, to make a nice assortment for the basement. While the furniture doesn't all match right now, I think it will all look nice together once painted alike/similar.

Thanks, DR. I'll be in touch tomorrow to confirm my arrival. :yay:

I'm going to go off subject here a little. I see a lot of very pretty painted furniture in magazines and online and I always think I'd like to try my hand at it. My neighbor has been picking up small pieces and using Annie Sloane chalkpaints on them.

My issue is that I don't have any rooms with that bright heaven-like light surrounding the pieces I see, like in that picture you show, illuminating them and making them seem all floaty and super sophisticated. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but how does that stuff look in normal lighting? Will you post a piece when you finish it? I have a mantel that's been sitting in my garage with one coat of paint for over a year because it just isn't looking like the pretty pictures I imagined it'd turn out like.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'm going to go off subject here a little. I see a lot of very pretty painted furniture in magazines and online and I always think I'd like to try my hand at it. My neighbor has been picking up small pieces and using Annie Sloane chalkpaints on them.

My issue is that I don't have any rooms with that bright heaven-like light surrounding the pieces I see, like in that picture you show, illuminating them and making them seem all floaty and super sophisticated. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but how does that stuff look in normal lighting? Will you post a piece when you finish it? I have a mantel that's been sitting in my garage with one coat of paint for over a year because it just isn't looking like the pretty pictures I imagined it'd turn out like.

You are completely right....it is difficult to achieve the same results of some of these projects simply because we don't have perfect lighting or lots of experience creating these stunning pieces. But ya know what? You get better with practice, and each piece gets a little bit better than the last piece.

You are correct, though, that your house can be limited by the amount of light you have, and that limitation can Mae your piece look quite not as nice as you'll see in the professional photographs. But ya know what? The piece that you start with is probably some dark piece of wood to begin with, that appears to be even darker with your poor lighting. So, go ahead and paint it a lighter color; it likely will still be better off than the original piece.

Here is an example of a piece in a guest bedroom that started out as a very dark armoire.....so dark it was almost black. Black wouldn't have worked well in this space because it tends to be a dark room anyway. I took the chance and painted it a very bright pink...almost a bubblegum pink. Anyway, I absolutely love how it turned out. It matches nicely with the rest of the room, the decor, and the feel that I was trying for. The roomies still a bit dark, but it has a significantly lighter feel to the room simply by switching out the dark wood for the lighter pink. I also just spray painted a dark chandelier that was in our dining room a stark gloss white. It turned out fabulous, and all I need to do is get Bob to hang it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 114

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
And yet another. For some reason, I can't seem to post multiple photos in one post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 108

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I love the bright colored look! BG, that room looks fabulous and that color on the cabinet is perfect!
Now I want to start painting some of my old tired looking stuff! *LIGHTBULB* :clap:

Sand down the original piece to rough up the surface for the new paint to stick, and be sure to use primer. The primer allows the final paint to adhere nicely, and often eliminates the need to multiple coats of paint.

Go for it!